Thread: Resolve Manual Typos

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Resolve Manual Typos 
    Resolve is a truly excellent program and the manual is very useful, but like anything that's 1,329 pages long, there's bound to be some typos.

Post 'em here.

Top of page 336:

"To toggle Auto Select for all video tracks off and on: Press Option-8"

In actuality, pressing Alt 8 makes Video 8 the active track.

Bottom of page 378:

The description after "Using Mark Clip:" is a word for word copy of the description for "Using Match Frame:" (which is directly below).

Top of page 863 says:

"When clips have been grouped together, selecting one member of the group reveals a group "linked" badge at the top-right of each clip's thumbnail belonging to the group."

It should read:

"When clips have been grouped together, selecting one member of the group reveals a group "linked" badge at the bottom-right of each clip's thumbnail belonging to the group."

Top of page 426:

"2. To trim the selection, do one of the following:

To slide a clip: Press Shift-V to select a clip, and press the Comma key to slip it one frame to
    the left, or the Period to slip it one frame to the right. Shift-Comma and Shift-Period slips
    the clip in 10 frame increments.

To slip a clip: Press Shift-V to select a clip, then press the S key to toggle to Slip mode
    (pressing S again toggles back to Slide mode) and press Comma or Period to slide its
    contents to the left or right. Shift-Option-Comma and Shift-Option-Period slides the
    contents in 5 frame increments."

It should say:

"2. To trim the selection, do one of the following:

To slip a clip: Press Shift-V to select a clip, and press the Comma key to slip it one frame to
    the left, or the Period to slip it one frame to the right. Shift-Comma and Shift-Period slips
    the clip in 5 frame increments.

To slide a clip: Press Shift-V to select a clip, then press the S key to toggle to Slip mode
    (pressing S again toggles back to Slide mode) and press Comma or Period to slide its
    contents to the left or right. Shift-Comma and Shift-Period slides the
    contents in 5 frame increments."

Middle of page 876 says:

"If you insert new nodes or rearrange existing nodes, the node numbering will change to reflect each node's new order."

This doesn't actually happen. If you rearrange or insert new nodes, the existing nodes are not renumbered and any new node is given the next highest number, regardless of where it is placed.

However, it would be nice to have a menu option to Renumber Node Graph, similar to Cleanup Node Graph.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    Middle of page 963 says: "If you insert new nodes or rearrange existing nodes, the node numbering will change to reflect each node's new order."
    If you delete a node, the nodes left will renumber themselves. I've lobbied for a right-click control to renumber all the nodes in the window but had no success so far. My suspicion is that they look on this as an OCD visual thing and not something of crucial importance.

Note that you can swap nodes and the numbering will stay as it was before the swap.

For a lot of reasons, quite a few colorists I know use a fixed node structure where the nodes retain a rigid selection used for every single shot in the project. The advantage of using this is that if you need to make a global change, you can surgically change just one specific node without affecting anything else in the tree.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I've lobbied for a right-click control to renumber all the nodes in the window but had no success so far. My suspicion is that they look on this as an OCD visual thing and not something of crucial importance.
    Well node number (not position) dictates the order when you use the shortcuts for previous and next node, so it IS more than an OCD thing. Maybe BMD will realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    Well node number (not position) dictates the order when you use the shortcuts for previous and next node, so it IS more than an OCD thing.
    And this is a huge reason to use a fixed node display for projects, so that every shot as 12 or 15 or 20 nodes, regardless of what you're doing in it. The numbers and node order never change. If a vignette power window is always in the same node, if blacks are always in the same node, if secondaries are always in the same node(s), then there's no problem. I also leave a node near the end labeled "Trim" just so that when I'm with clients and they want to do a small change, I can do it there if necessary.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Marc, may I ask do you implement this by having a power grade of the node structure?