Thread: Which RAID?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Which RAID? 
    Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    What RAID do I need for 8K footage?

Right now I'm running and internal RAID-0 but it must have a bottleneck because it's stutters on some XAVC 4k footage and of course the 6K RAW my Red Dragon does. I'm looking to upgrade and I see people doing PCI-E internal and some have raid array bays?

Anyway just wondering what y'all are working with out there. Thanks
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Gemini, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

If you got the space Internally for hard drives, build yourself an internal Raid using an ATTO ExpressSAS® R60F Raid adapter. ATTO make great drivers for their products and they work with Mac or PC.

https://www.atto.com/products/adapte...0ESAS-R60F-C00

I'm using an Areca 1882i SAS/SATA card internally using RAID3. The new 1883i cards are out. Areca raid cards are excellent. I have also successfully transplanted my 1882i and drives into a new workstation without a hitch. You can also have a look at LSI raid cards. I used an LSIMegaRaid at work in RAID5. If you do go internal you should seriously consider a hardware raid card, rather than just using a windows software RAID (if you're on a PC).
    Filmmaker - Photographer - Designer
    www.eperez.tv

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    I’m on a custom build PC. I believe it’s the ASUS X79 WS-E. But I was wondering if there’s a possibility for a PCI-E card that would go externally. Reason being is, changing and achieving drives.

I’d hate to open my computer every time I want to change a drive. And really, even if I offload internally from the raid to an externally storage for achieving, wouldn’t that be slow? Unless I get a NAS or something, but I’m trying to eliminate the amount of hardware I have to buy.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Gemini, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

For external RAID towers I'd look at Promise. I looked at G-Tech, but in the end chose Promise R6 for our external RAID at work. The new Thunderbolt3 units are out now. Colleagues, online reviews, and reputation drove my choice. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet though. For a PC I think your connection choices might be limited to Thunderbolt or SAS via an internal PCIe card (that has a connection out the back of the computer) . You might want to look at LTO Tape for archiving instead of archiving HD's, if that's what you're planning. Hard drives just don't have a good shelf-life. Also, I'm not sure why you'd be changing drives frequently if you have a RAID configuration - apart from swapping failed drives. Anyway, fast storage is great (at least 700MBs/s), but for 8k footage you should also be looking at your processor, and GPU to get the best performance.
    www.eperez.tv

I just built an unRAID 48tb.. its great for backing up footage. I would use raid 0 SSDs for a cache/temp drive and raid 5 for a workstation.
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

I found a good resource for RAID in video editing is the Adobe Premiere forum on Adobe.com. Guys like Harm Millard, and Bill Gehrke seem to be quite the authorities there.
    www.eperez.tv

Do you mind elaborating on why you went promise over g-tech, anything other than thunderbolt 3? I've been looking at those two brands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Perez View Post
    For external RAID towers I'd look at Promise. I looked at G-Tech, but in the end chose Promise R6 for our external RAID at work. The new Thunderbolt3 units are out now. Colleagues, online reviews, and reputation drove my choice. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet though. For a PC I think your connection choices might be limited to Thunderbolt or SAS via an internal PCIe card (that has a connection out the back of the computer) . You might want to look at LTO Tape for archiving instead of archiving HD's, if that's what you're planning. Hard drives just don't have a good shelf-life. Also, I'm not sure why you'd be changing drives frequently if you have a RAID configuration - apart from swapping failed drives. Anyway, fast storage is great (at least 700MBs/s), but for 8k footage you should also be looking at your processor, and GPU to get the best performance.

XAVC stuttering on playback is not abnormal in many current editors due to the complexity and limiting threading capability of the codec. That is not due to disk speed. The R3D 6K raw would be though. You would want atleast a raid 0 for the R3D depending on compression level. Raw would require far more for example. Atleast 1 SSD would probably be a cheaper solution for working with the 6K raw depending on volume space required. Raiding the SSD's in a raid 0 would definitely offer the performance for any R3D. If mechanical drives are required then 5 or 6 drive raid 5 would be the least recommended due to the higher latency of mechanical drives. 4 in a raid 5 would probably handle 1 stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Thomas View Post
    Do you mind elaborating on why you went promise over g-tech, anything other than thunderbolt 3? I've been looking at those two brands as well.
    I really didn't have much to go on. Looked at buyer reviews on B&H (Promise reviews seemed more favourable), and asked a colleague who had a Promise R4. I had heard good things about Promise RAIDs and got good communication from Symply. No word from Gtech when I inquired. I had also chatted with Promise staff at NAB. Obviously the GTech Studio series are more slick-looking, but that didn't matter to me. Tough call as it's hard to "try" both and I was pressed for time so I had to take the Thunderbolt 2 Pegasus2 R6.
    www.eperez.tv