Thread: Which RAID?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bowen View Post
    XAVC stuttering on playback is not abnormal in many current editors due to the complexity and limiting threading capability of the codec. That is not due to disk speed. The R3D 6K raw would be though. You would want atleast a raid 0 for the R3D depending on compression level. Raw would require far more for example. Atleast 1 SSD would probably be a cheaper solution for working with the 6K raw depending on volume space required. Raiding the SSD's in a raid 0 would definitely offer the performance for any R3D. If mechanical drives are required then 5 or 6 drive raid 5 would be the least recommended due to the higher latency of mechanical drives. 4 in a raid 5 would probably handle 1 stream.
    Yeah I was speaking with a few members on the FB group for Epic-W. And I figure the best solution is RAID 5 with HDD. SSD's would be awesome but the price is too outstanding. And I'm in the upgrade for the 8K for I need something that could handle that at 5:1.

As for swapping drives, I just figure it'd be easier outside of my computer. Please HDD creating shit tons of heat doesn't sound too good in my system.

So I'm looking at getting a PCI-E card going to a Bay with 5 drives in a RAID 5... You think that'd be fast enough?
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Gemini, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

You might want to look at MAXX Digital, they are RED savvy so they could advise per your specific requirements.
    http://www.maxxdigital.com/thunderraid-mini-r6.html
    The controller card lives inside the tower and it supports USB3 & TB2, so they are handy for moving your storage from system to system.

FWIW, if you can wait a bit, a RAID with USB-C/TB3 ports will support higher bandwidth and is poised to be the dominant connection standard for years to come.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    You might want to look at MAXX Digital, they are RED savvy so they could advise per your specific requirements.
    http://www.maxxdigital.com/thunderraid-mini-r6.html
    The controller card lives inside the tower and it supports USB3 & TB2, so they are handy for moving your storage from system to system.

FWIW, if you can wait a bit, a RAID with USB-C/TB3 ports will support higher bandwidth and is poised to be the dominant connection standard for years to come.

Cheers - #19

Yes. I do plan on waiting for the USB-C/TB3 ports... I just got a MacBook Pro and hopefully my windows machine will be able to take a PCI-E card with the USB-C type connection. I'm still doing some research on that as it's a few years old.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

I'm a big fan of the G-Tech Studio XL RAIDs and use those in my office. I believe they go up to 96TB. Note these are all Thunderbolt 2, so you'd need to have a motherboard capable of a Thunderbolt 2 connection.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I'm a big fan of the G-Tech Studio XL RAIDs and use those in my office. I believe they go up to 96TB. Note these are all Thunderbolt 2, so you'd need to have a motherboard capable of a Thunderbolt 2 connection.
    Yeah... *sigh* I just looked up my mobo specs and it won't work with TB3 or USB-C... I'll check on TB2, but now by the looks of it I'll just wait another year and upgrade my mobo and CPU along with the TB3 connections... I hate that tech goes obesolote after a freaking month.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

And honestly, I don't mean to turn this into a rant but c'mon. I buy something one day, turn around and they got something a billion times faster the next and not even allow for compatibility upgrades? That's the whole reason I'm on a PC... Jeez.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Buchanan View Post
    Yes. I do plan on waiting for the USB-C/TB3 ports... I just got a MacBook Pro and hopefully my windows machine will be able to take a PCI-E card with the USB-C type connection. I'm still doing some research on that as it's a few years old.
    I have the 2016 MacBook Pro too. I plan on using an AKiTiO Thunder3 Quad 4-Bay with 4 x 8Tb enterprise drives. https://www.akitio.com/desktop-stora...-thunder3-quad

AKiTiO support inform me they should have this case Apple certified in early 2017. I predict the Raid speed to be ~ 700Mb/sec. BHphotovideo sells it.

This might be a good resource to check out if you're building a video editing RAID:

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-...or-not-to-raid
    Filmmaker - Photographer - Designer
    www.eperez.tv

The question is not what raid do you need, but what do you want to do with your storage? 8K @ 5:1 x the number of streams. That'll give you the figure to aim for, then double it! Don't get too hung-up on SSD vs HDD, the bottle neck is your connection between the raid and the disks. Take my TB2 Raid 6 speeds for example....

Ya 5 drives in a raid 5 should be around 400MB/s or so. Should be fast enough for 8K 5:1