Thread: Advice on iMacs or Mac Pros?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Advice on iMacs or Mac Pros? 
    I'm looking to get a maxed out iMac or possibly one of the lower end trash cans.

I think I'd prefer the iMac- but how well does it playback 6k in full resolution? Any issues there? I'm editing a feature at the moment and hoping it can handle it.

If not, what advice would you guys have for a lower end trash can that won't break the bank?

Any tips are much appreciated!

Need more info.

- What applications will you be using? FCPX, Premiere, Resolve?
    - Will you need to be editing at full res or will lower quality playback be okay?
    - What peripherals will you be connecting?
    - What kind of storage?

Keep in mind, the iMac and Mac Pro are setup differently when it comes to bus structure. For example, the Mac Pro has three separate Thunderbolt 2 busses, where as far as I know the iMac is one shared bus. Also, although the Late 2015 iMac is supposed to support 64GB according to OW Computing, I found it didn't work well with my iMac. So YMMV. Whereas no problem to get a lot of RAM into the Mac Pro.

But ultimately, you will need to decide if a Mac is the right choice in general based on what type of work you are doing, and what kind of hardware you need to do it.
    Steve Sherrick

Unless you need OSX even a maxed out Skylake Desktop will far outperform an Imac at this point not to mention an X99 workstation far outperforms a trash can.

Hey there Steve- I'll be editing on Premiere 2017. Hoping to do playback at full resolution, but even half would be okay. I'll just be adding on speakers and just a single hard drive through the ThunderBolt connection. Most likely a 4tb drive.

I have a late 2013 iMac, maxed out except RAM at 24gigs. Since I work in broadcast TV and web, my finish is always HD. 5K RAW 5:1 ratio in Premiere on an HD timeline works perfectly fine. I have yet to do a 4K finish, so I cannot comment on that.

I actually really like the iMac. A few times on shoot / edit jobs I took it to the directors house and edited there as setup is really quick since there so few components.
    -----------
    DP and sometimes Director
    Reel: http://builtbyugene.com/html_pages/h...iveaction.html
    Entire Portfolio: http://builtbyugene.com/index.html

That's awesome Gene- do you playback your footage in full resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bowen View Post
    Unless you need OSX even a maxed out Skylake Desktop will far outperform an Imac at this point not to mention an X99 workstation far outperforms a trash can.

Windows doesn't legally encode prores.

It's also hard to feel productive on it when you constantly have to tinker with hardware compatibility, spotty 10bit and hiDPI support, troubleshooting, never-ending constant driver and system updates that eat up time, using Shutup10 and ClassicShell just to make things normal, etc.

With macOS you just turn it on and start working. Doesn't need to be the latest hardware because it's tightly optimized and the experience is greater than the sum of its parts.
    saumene.com

I would advise against buying a trash can at this time unless you can find a deal on a used one. Current iMacs are a pretty slick option, with decent performance per dollar and nice screens - just don't expect it to be a brute, and plan to work at 1/4 res. If you can wait a bit, Tim Cook claims that a "great" desktop Mac is in the pipeline - of course that's just talk until it actually happens...

Cheers - #19

Windows does not have any issues with 10bit color support. 10 bit color is native to Windows and hdmi output is the same regardless of whether OSX or Windows is the host. That is decided by driver and hardware.

The 5K iMac is a great computer and it beats the ("new") Mac Pro. Much better value. The Mac Pro is an awful purchase now. Same price new as it was three years ago and three years ago it was overpriced.
    B L A C K W O O D
    A RED Authorized Dealer
    http://www.blackwoodcamera.com