Thread: How to import or link MFX Files created from a Red Weapon

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How to import or link MFX Files created from a Red Weapon 
    I am somewhat new to media Composer and have shot footage with my Red Weapon MG. I shot RED R3D files and AvidDNxHD files which created a MFX file for every clip.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to quickly import the MXF files and start editing in Media Composer 8.6. Can some one give me advice on workflow and working with files created by the camera? Doesn't seem to be much info online regarding this.

Thanks,
    Greg

When you access the clips via the Soure browser, you will have both R3D and MXF in the older structure. Just select the .MXF files and link to them. They can be linked with the latest version of the RED AMA plug-in, or the MXF AMA plugin.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Hello Michael,

I'm also using the MXF route and AVID and would like to know what's best practice.

The MXF files generated by the Weapon are DNxHR SQ 25p 2048x1040 (I pretend to use the same resolution for all the project and cut the framing to 1.91 aspect ration (pillar boxes)).

A) I would love to give the rushes to the edit to make the synch and to start to work with the proxy generated by the Weapon during the shooting
    B) and then finetune the colors in RCX after the shooting, export them and relink the masterclips to the new color corrected MXF.

I don't get this workflow to work as I think it has something to do to with the Linked Media Clips that Weapons generates (Video clips and sound clips) and the Masterclips (Video&sound clips) RedcineX generates.

Do I have to generate an AAF from weapons MXF files and then import the AAF?

Could you give me any hint?

Thanks

Patrick

I have had a few problems with Avid's AMA plug-in for RED and spanned MXF files. You are creating some big proxy files if just being used for offline. But I have been fine as long as my MXF proxy file created in camera was a non spanned file. Later in your process, with your newly generated files from RCxPro, you would highlight your sequence and do a relink to selected to the newly created media.

Michael
    Ernst Lubitsch

But I can't believe there is no tutorial to work with MXF/Prores Proxy generated by the Weapon that adress the spanned files problem.

So none is working with those DNxHR/Prores proxy as offline files?

Pat

I have been testing the MXF workflow and I don't feel it is ready for primetime for all workflows that one may encounter. Between the span file and the AMA plug-in, it will cause issues somewhere along the way. I think for the now the safest is to work DNxHD36 where the chances of creating a spanned file are reduced (~14 minutes). I think there are chages in the works to fix all this and will be testing when ready. At that point I am pretty sure there will be something available.
    Ernst Lubitsch

But is there tool that can stitch the spanned files and recreate DNxHR files that could be compatible with exported DNxHR files from CineX?

Really too bad RCX and Weapon wich are both made by RED don't use the same standard for file generation!!!!

Why do they still use the 4GB file limit? This is really a bummer!

So the in camera generated proxys is just a joke. I can't image RED doing this without thinking primarely to the folks wich workflow's needs to make a reconform.

Pat

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Not for mxf ... but for PRORES file I have a free tool called foolclip for Mac to join spanned clips...
    usable workaround while we wait for RED to release a new FW / file system that will allow larger than 4 GB files.

I think Phil Holland has created a similar tool for the PC guys...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Are the spanned MXF clips also resolved (no more spanning) in the new Beta firmware as are the Prores files?
    Pat

I believe that's the plan.

Michael
    Ernst Lubitsch