Thread: Bausch&Lomb CinemaScope Baltars.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 239
  1. #1 Bausch&Lomb CinemaScope Baltars. 
    I just bought these of from Ebay. I really like B&L Baltars and also I love old anamorphics so I figured these must be the lenses I always dreamed of... :thumb:

    Now I try to find more info. I figured there must be more focal lengths of these. I learned as much as they where used on one of the first Cinemascope films, "The Egyptian" which premiered in the 50´s and from looking at that film on youtube it looks like the lenses used preformed rather well, not much fishbowl and it looks almost to rectilinear to be true.

    Then also I don't know what mount is on them. I assume it´s some sort of Mitchell mount but it does not look like BNC-R or BNC but the flange seams to be rather easy to replace so my idea is to put PL mounts on them and add a 19mm lens suport.

    First check if they even give a picture worth struggle for off course but then also refurbish them, one look like and old dried out meat loaf and the other looks like it fell of a tank or such. But I think if sand blasted and painted they would possibly look better than new. Seams also to be some of the most sturdy anamophics ever with the housing and the way they made the focus / iris system. I was thinking to just add better gears on those wheels and make a T bone so I can have the focus motor applied to it.


    Any one have any experience of these? Or know what mount it is, I would be very thankful if you could fill me in.

    I don't have the lenses just yet they are on their way with DHL as we speak.


    [IMG]s-l1600-8 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]

    [IMG]s-l1600 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]

    s-l1600-6 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

    more pics here:

    https://flic.kr/s/aHskS4NcU1



    And here is a link to "The Egyptian": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPfurh8zoA

    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,876
    WOW. I'd send them to Visual Products. See what Paul can do.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    WOW. I'd send them to Visual Products. See what Paul can do.
    You mean send them away and let somebody else have all the fun, trying to fix them? :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,850
    Keep us updated.

    that does look like meatloaf
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    You mean send them away and let somebody else have all the fun, trying to fix them? :)
    Haha - well, if anyone knows what todo with them (that isn't Dan Sasaki), it's him. He's also just such a nice dude, and has seen EVERYTHING.

    Have fun with these!!!

    Are you going to rehouse them?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Haha - well, if anyone knows what todo with them (that isn't Dan Sasaki), it's him. He's also just such a nice dude, and has seen EVERYTHING.

    Have fun with these!!!

    Are you going to rehouse them?
    I have not even touched these, but I see nothing wrong with the housing they have now. The gray one I think looks like the best housing I ever seen so I don't think I will change it if its not needed. But might need some new paint...

    As I understood from reading the ebay add these where the first ana´s that actually was not a lens with a loose front element but instead a housing with lens and front element inside.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I have not even touched these, but I see nothing wrong with the housing they have now. The gray one I think looks like the best housing I ever seen so I don't think I will change it if its not needed. But might need some new paint...

    As I understood from reading the ebay add these where the first ana´s that actually was not a lens with a loose front element but instead a housing with lens and front element inside.
    WOW - cool. Get your point about the housing. Those look like tanks. Can't wait to see footage!!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,159
    The meatloaf one is probably sound blimped to keep the "rattle and hum" of the old cameras from coming through the lens like a loudspeaker.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I figured there must be more focal lengths of these.

    Off the top of my head I know there were the following focal B&L Cinemascope lengths:

    35mm f/2.3
    40mm f/2.3
    50mm f/2.3
    75mm f/2.8
    100mm f/2.8
    152mm f/3.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Then also I don't know what mount is on them. I assume it´s some sort of Mitchell mount but it does not look like BNC-R or BNC but the flange seams to be rather easy to replace so my idea is to put PL mounts on them and add a 19mm lens suport.


    It has been done so it's certainly possible!
    Last edited by Christopher Probst; 01-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,384
    I vaguely recall converting 3 of these to PL years ago....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts