Thread: Epic-w - Noise Pattern - Is this right?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Epic-w - Noise Pattern - Is this right? 
    All the footage I'm shooting with the epic-w looks awesome, and I haven't had too many complaints - especially with the changes in ipp2 that fixed a lot of the banding.

I did a fresh auto black shade today after updating to the new firmware. When I booted up the camera, I had an 85mm lens closed all the way, and I noticed there were a lot of horizontal lines in the noise of the blacks.

When I push the exposure heavily in redcine-x I can see the effect exaggerated. I guess I'm just curious if this is the normal noise structure of this sensor. I don't think I notice it when everything is exposed correctly, but I'd like to know if that is normal.

Here's a simple screen grab:

https://s28.postimg.org/6jpn0wiql/Sc...6_51_47_PM.png

and here's a link to an r3d:

https://we.tl/l7eLy0wume

I appreciate any info.
    - zack

--
    Zack McTee
    zackmctee.com
    twitter.com/zackmctee

Doesn't appear that you're alone, Zack. There's two other post about weird noise artifacts after firmware updates, though ours were horizontal versus vertical. Do yours seem to dance around the screen and flash?

Let's hope there's a solution soon. I was told to send my camera back in. Is that screen capture a crop or an 8k full frame grab?

Zack do you have the focuss assit on?

You're on iso 12800. Offcourse you will see noise then, it's not an a7s.

Looks perfectly fine otherwise.

Hi Zack,

If you're seeing it on your monitor, as Luca said, check if Focus Assist is on. In my experience it's a result of the sharpening that's used, combined with low light that makes it appear "noisy". When I turned it off, I couldn't see any noise on the monitor, even at 6400 ISO.

Also, turning the ISO up to 12800 will definitely show noise. But I took a quick look at the R3D, and I could still see some banding at 6400.

Before you recorded the clip, did you let the camera warm up first? You mentioned you saw these artifacts upon boot-up. Also, excuse me for the stupid question because I'm sure you did it properly, but when you blackshaded, you did it after it reached operating temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimy Soares View Post
    You're on iso 12800. Offcourse you will see noise then, it's not an a7s.

Looks perfectly fine otherwise.
    The fact there is noise is not the problem, it's pattern noise. That's not good. I am getting it as well. I hope they fine tune the calibration process.

I've had vertical line issues too - have calibrated to project settings as well as auto calibration and nothing seems to work perfectly.

Auto calibration - in a black room, brought up to temp. - seems to be much better at resolving the vertical line/patterned noise when confirming calibration w/ FLUT pumped to +8.

Yesterday I read someone bashing on Blackmagic's camera because they have a Fixed Pattern Noise issue that can't be resolved whatsoever.. Is this the same kind of thing?
    SCARLET-W #XXXXXX (2017!)

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    Yesterday I read someone bashing on Blackmagic's camera because they have a Fixed Pattern Noise issue that can't be resolved whatsoever.. Is this the same kind of thing?
    I own a Epic-W and haven't seen this. Auto and Manual blackshade works as it should. Zero FPN here.

I noticed this issue since receiving my EW in November. I almost contacted RED about it but I thought it was just normal. Every time I do a firmware update I get those weird lines too. I also have to manually calibrate the sensor 2-3 times before getting a usable calibration, as the first calibration seems to give poor results. The best way to check your calibration is to go to the "FLUT" control on your camera, and while the lens cap is on, raise the FLUT control to the max setting. This will let you see any pattern noise or lines that shouldn't be there. IMO, the picture above of your calibration looks ok compared to what I have on my camera.