Thread: Epic-w - Noise Pattern - Is this right?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've had a similar issue with Auto calibration, where within the first 5min of operation the sensor temp and auto blackshade setting were such that the noise was much stronger than usual, but then as I was investigating it, the camera came up to temperature and the camera automatically switched into a different calibration setting and the noise suddenly disappeared. The big problem with this is that the camera doesn't change calibrations while rolling so if I were to have rolled in the first 5 min of the camera being on I could've had a screwed up noise pattern that might have even gotten worse due to further calibration mismatch as the camera gets hotter on all my footage no matter how long I rolled.

One consideration is that it may be nearly impossible to build a calibration that accounts for the sensor temperature that exists during the few minutes it takes for the camera to get up to temperature since the calibration process takes so long. Perhaps auto calibration can't really account for different sensor temperatures because it does not have access to them.

Moral of the story is maybe don't ever roll until the camera has been on for a few minutes or you may ruin your footage. I hope there is a way around this. This is a strong argument against swapping batteries right before roll...

I wonder how other manufacturers handle this.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Blackshading doesn't require the same level of attention on other high end cameras: Alexa, Amira, F55, Varicam. It's frustrating that we're still dealing with it to this extent when other manufacturers seem to have handled it years ago.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

How often are you 8 stops underexposed on other cameras? Let your camera warm up guys, you'll get fpn on other sensors as well if the temperature changing dramatically and you're really underexposed. My camera doesn't cool down fast enough in the time it takes for me to quickly swap a battery either, so I don't see this as being a problem. If you need to be ready to record at any given second, keep the camera on (mine stays on the whole shoot except for battery changes and lunch) or pick a camera system that boots up faster.