Thread: Canon CN-E Primes on Helium

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Canon CN-E Primes on Helium 
    Does anybody out there have any experience with the Canon CN-E Primes and the Helium sensor? I am looking to move to Helium and want to get some REDUSER thoughts before pulling the trigger. I am hoping they can tie me over for a little until I can upgrade to some Ultra Primes.

As an aside, I have been reading these forums for a long time and am finally ready to make the move to RED. Thanks in advance.

I have a full set of CN-E Primes and both compact zooms and they work great.
    Carlos Quintero
    Director & Cinematographer
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K

Great lenses -widely underrated generally.

the only thing I don't like is the amount of CA on the 14mm for instance.

I believe that Domenic Barbero (a longtime REDUser) has a set of CN-E's he is selling.
    BRAINCELL CAMERA - MICHIGAN
    Renting Weapon Helium, Gemini, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Atlas A&B Anamorphic, Cooke Panchro Classic, MiniS4, CP.3,
    ARRI Standard Speed, Sigma Cine, Leica R, Zeiss Contax, Canon FD
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100
    Support: Ronin 2, Black Arm, Alpha Wheels, Tero, ReadyRig, EasyRig
    AKS: Teradek RT FIZs, Teradek Bolts, Bright Tangerine, FSI monitors
    ------
    Cinematography Professor, Compass College, Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks for the feedback. My good friend, who has used the Helium feels as though is not worthwhile to go Helium without ultra/master primes, Summilux, Cooke, etc. I have little doubt that they would be better, but I gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Humphries View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. My good friend, who has used the Helium feels as though is not worthwhile to go Helium without ultra/master primes, Summilux, Cooke, etc. I have little doubt that they would be better, but I gotta start somewhere.
    The EPIC-W is my first RED camera. I can very clearly see a huge difference between my Canon C300 Mark II 4K and EPIC-W 8K on both my editing 32inch 4K display and my client reference 60inch 4K HDR display both using the canon CN-E primes. I'm also not shooting features and the 4K deliverable content is generally for web distribution. So take what I'm saying with those limitations in mind.
    Carlos Quintero
    Director & Cinematographer
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K

Great to hear. I am making the same jump --> From C300 Mk II to EPIC-W. I really appreciate the feedback.

I just shot a week-long job on the CNE's at the request of the production company. I really appreciated how fast the lenses were -- they allowed me to stop down to a T2 and remain sharp with an ultra shallow look (shooting 8K on the helium). I was given the option of CP2 vs CNE and my experience with the CNEs was that they were warmer and had a more pleasing highlight rolloff.

I haven't gotten to review the footage since shooting but I was very pleased with what I was seeing on camera. I personally shoot with Kippertie Carbon2 and the combo between Helium + Carbon 2 + CNE was really great for when you can't get a more expensive set of primes (I personally trend toward the Ultra Primes almost always, occasionally swinging over to Cookes -- and Optimo's for zooms).

Definitely try and get a rental on your next gig and give them a go.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796