Thread: Wireless Follow Focus affordable options (DJI vs RedRock Micro)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Richards View Post
    Tilta Nucleus M is very weak motor, it is not designed for stiff lenses, the responsive speed and smoothness operation of Cinegears wireless follow focus is top of the line in the industry
    Don't know if I'd agree with that statement. How stiff are we talking here?
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Don't know if I'd agree with that statement. How stiff are we talking here?
    Many professional focus puller love Cinegears wireless follow focus products, put it on Red ZOOM, ARRI Alura or Ultra Prime, you will see the difference.
    Cinegears also make Multi Axis wireless follow focus system V4, 2018 upgrade model come with High toque Motor and touch screen receiver, full set of start stop trigger for ARRI, RED DMSC2, LANC, get the job done nicely.

Last edited by Nathan Richards; 02-26-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    -Nathan Richards

Nathan I think you have to contact the forum admins to become a reduser sponsor if you want to promote your products and avoid being banned...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Nathan I think you have to contact the forum admins to become a reduser sponsor if you want to promote your products and avoid being banned...
    Correct, and on a side note, I've not had great experience thus far with their gear.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I personally would avoid the Cinegear wireless follow focus, had nothing but signal lost, it was actually interesting cause when I first had it worked for 1 job. Then the signal kept getting lost. Talked to Cinegear about it, they told me how to reset it. Tried it, thought it was ok, but after a week of shooting the AC told me no. Then it seemed within 6 months the signal strength was losing range fast. Ended up with only a 5 foot range, so I got rid of it ASAP. Internal battery failure after 8 months. Basically had to keep a phone battery charger on it cause it would just die on me if it wasn’t constantly charging. All in all, invest in a wireless follow focus you want to keep for years to come. Not for right now needs. For me that was RTmotion. Never failed me, was easy to build it into a FIZ over time and I know it works with every lens, camera so I know my RTmotion will outlive my weapon, and on to the next generation of DSMC/Alexa cameras.
    Dp Reel
    http://www.joncarrdp.com
    Camera & Lighting Rentals in NYC
    http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
    Instagram
    http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
    Carbon Fiber WEAPON Helium #651 "MISTRESS"
    DJI Ronin 2 “R2D2”
    Schneider Xenon FF primes PL

It's REDcode or no code...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Carr View Post
    I personally would avoid the Cinegear wireless follow focus, had nothing but signal lost, it was actually interesting cause when I first had it worked for 1 job. Then the signal kept getting lost. Talked to Cinegear about it, they told me how to reset it. Tried it, thought it was ok, but after a week of shooting the AC told me no. Then it seemed within 6 months the signal strength was losing range fast. Ended up with only a 5 foot range, so I got rid of it ASAP. Internal battery failure after 8 months. Basically had to keep a phone battery charger on it cause it would just die on me if it wasn’t constantly charging. All in all, invest in a wireless follow focus you want to keep for years to come. Not for right now needs. For me that was RTmotion. Never failed me, was easy to build it into a FIZ over time and I know it works with every lens, camera so I know my RTmotion will outlive my weapon, and on to the next generation of DSMC/Alexa cameras.
    Hello Jon, I would first like to say that all Cinegears products come with a standard 3 year warranty. Furthermore, there are many reason that your unit may have lost signal but the most common would be that the antenna is damaged. We would be very happy to take a look at your product and see what we can do to fix it. Our product has been proven by many rental houses, producers and general customers to be a solid and robust product and we would like to help you experience that as well.
    -Nathan Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Thats a statement think you need picture prof to back it up. Very interested to see them battling it out in a youtube video.

Cinegear on one side of a lens, Nucleus on the other. Both set to max tork, Both with same number of gears on the pulling wheels... then full throttle in opposite direction, like in arm wrestling Infinity mark one motor wins, near focus limit the other motor wins :)

Now, there is a lot more to it than strength of the motors. Reliability, precision and zero play seams to be difficult for most. Best motors I had so far are my 20 year old MRMOCO motors, they beat all other on every count. Strong enough to pull any lens to pieces and had not have any but my own service in 20 years. Tigning the gears with an alen key every now and then.
    PAY PER VIEW... Id watch..
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    I have both the Cinegears and the Nucleus. The Nucleus is MUCH better build and the motors are MUCH stronger. You actually have to be careful with the high torque setting(yes its adjustable). Both are prone to RF interference, the cinegears to a ridiculous degree. I don know of a serious rental house that would have any of these in stock.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

We have RT motion and they work great. Very strong motors and good controller. Also very precise.
    Only little thing I had with dslr lenses is that when you start up the unit the motors hunt for the lens start/stop which it cannot find for DSLR lenses. Last I heard there were going to fix this so it could have been addressed already.

/Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    We have RT motion and they work great. Very strong motors and good controller. Also very precise.
    Only little thing I had with dslr lenses is that when you start up the unit the motors hunt for the lens start/stop which it cannot find for DSLR lenses. Last I heard there were going to fix this so it could have been addressed already.

/Andreas
    There is a special firmware that will prevent motor from rotating at initialization. Then you can start the manual calibration for your Canon lenses. I haven‘t tested it because I don‘t own any Canon lenses.
    But check Rtmotion helpdesk. You find the firmware and instructions.