Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Jinnimag.

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

Focusing more on quality rather than saving a buck at the end of the day will save you a lot of headaches and perhaps even your job.
    nuff said
    Scarlet-W #93
    CNE-Primes
    Easyrig+Serene
    G&E package + Sprinter van

Local 52
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan L Collett View Post
    I think this sounds like it could've been a good idea... but alas... red needs 3rdparty like foolcontrol, off hollywood etc, to bring new ideas to the mix, the problem is this guy seems a bit nuts / doesn't want to follow any rules... which really can't or ever work. we need reliable tools as filmmakers not just cheap cost.
    a he is trying to sell 1tb media that a D.I.T can access via usb3 , without ejecting the drive .. with hardware and software at a low level to bypass any lockout red might try and create.. and apparently has .. whether any of the products are faultless currently is another matter .. i call that innovating..but my first thought is .. give the guy a job .. don't grass him up to the feds .. talk to him ..

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    The crime is that the RED camera body "talks" to the media and says "hey, are you certified RED media?" and to enable recording, the media says "yeah, here's proof from RED themselves!" Jinnimag does not have any approval or certification so when their media says "yeah", it is in fact lying as a part of the "handshake". The lying part is super important because it is PRETENDING to be something that it is not -- it is pretending to be RED media which means it is infringing on a patent...which is illegal.

This stuff is a bit confusing so hopefully this helps without having to read an entire court document. Also, if I'm incorrect here, please someone jump in. Trying to do an "Explain Like I'm 5" sort of thing for the concept...because that's kind of the only way I understand it :)

EDIT: aaaaaaaand there's the requisite Phil Holland post as I was typing mine.
    so run that by me again , the red camera says "how expensive were you to buy", and the jinni card says "really expensive?" .. which is the correct answer?

yeah, my old dell laptop power adapter had software to do that stuff..real innovation.. the adapter would break.. id buy a new one, and the laptop says "hey, did you cost $25 , or $120?" .. and the adapter says "i'm 12volts..does that help?" .."no, sucker .."

I recently had an Alexa Mini Cfast 256 Lexar card die on a rental. 9 months old, probably 50-100 uses max. No warning, just die with probably 15 minutes of shot footy on it. It was totally dead, would playback in camera, but couldn't be copied, couldn't be repaired.

I thought back over the last 10-15 years all the way back to P2 days, and realized that has never happened to me with any card ever. Cfast isn't perfect.
    Red Dragon, Alexa XT Plus, Ultra Primes Set, Kowa Anamorphics, and tons more gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Oliver View Post
    I recently had an Alexa Mini Cfast 256 Lexar card die on a rental. 9 months old, probably 50-100 uses max. No warning, just die with probably 15 minutes of shot footy on it. It was totally dead, would playback in camera, but couldn't be copied, couldn't be repaired.

I thought back over the last 10-15 years all the way back to P2 days, and realized that has never happened to me with any card ever. Cfast isn't perfect.
    Thanks for sharing. Instructive to hear perspectives like this.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Oliver View Post

Neither are Redmags. I've had one die on ne on set.

Quote Originally Posted by Milano Questa View Post
    Neither are Redmags....

Been there.

I still have an original REDMAG that never recorded a single frame. DOA out of a 4 pack.
    Discovered only after the warranty had expired. It does happen.

That was many years ago.
    Since then, flawless results.

While there is no technology I know of that can guarantee 100%, RDC has invested tremendously in working to assure that their media delivers as close to that goal as achievable..
    In my opinion, their product exceeds expectations. While shooting, no drop in performance. No issues at all.

Shit can happen, but when it counts, their media is one of the strongest links in the chain.

I'm following this thread with one eye, even if I'm done with my rant.

But for f-cks sake stop mentioning CFast cards that die on various shoots. Of course they do! Like ALL media—shit happens! RED Mini Mags are no different, just like Milano says above.

A while back when I was more involved in the discussion I was tempted to to start pulling in information from other threads here on Reduser about Mini Mags acting up. But why would I? A complete douche move and it would add nothing to the discussion.

Someone here might shoot 10 years without a single issue, while others might encounter 5 failures in 2-3 years, regardless of media.

I'm totally open to REAL stats about media reliability. It would be interesting. But it would have to be just that: empirical data. Not "I know a guy who knows a guy". Not even "it happened to me".

This small second rant will be contained within this post.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    I'm following this thread with one eye, even if I'm done with my rant.

But for f-cks sake stop mentioning CFast cards that die on various shoots. Of course they do! Like ALL media—shit happens! RED Mini Mags are no different, just like Milano says above.

A while back when I was more involved in the discussion I was tempted to to start pulling in information from other threads here on Reduser about Mini Mags acting up. But why would I? A complete douche move and it would add nothing to the discussion.

Someone here might shoot 10 years without a single issue, while others might encounter 5 failures in 2-3 years, regardless of media.

I'm totally open to REAL stats about media reliability. It would be interesting. But it would have to be just that: empirical data. Not "I know a guy who knows a guy". Not even "it happened to me".

This small second rant will be contained within this post.
    Several people on this thread pointed the issues with CFast, coming from Jarred and users and it is well known thing with Arri camera users.

There is also a propriatery media used by Arri and co-developed with Codex.

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/wor..._xt_xr_module/

http://www.abelcine.com/store/Codex-...rive-SXR/#tabs

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/arri_k2.48837.0

All pointing to the conclusion that currently CFast is not the best route for a high-end (high performance, high production cost, high responsibility) professional production tool.

Yet you still don't want to accept it and insist on being further convinced.
    Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Yet you still don't want to accept it and insist on being further convinced.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    CFast cards… die on various shoots. Of course they do!