Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Jinnimag.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    it's always nice to get cheaper stuff, but you should know what you use it for.

for example. before i onwed my own red i had a 5d mkIII. and i used ML to do Raw recordings. When it all started the SanDisk CF cards which managed the speed where really expensive.
    I then baught a couple of the cheap Komputerbay Cards. but basically i bought them for testing, and I just used them as backup later. I had lots of them fail and crash, and spend a lot of time recovering material from the disks. (but i also had SanDisk Cards fail).

I had a look at the jinnimags before - and if i would have read something positiv about them i might have baught one. but i would have never used them on a set or production where i work with other people. They would have been a backup media in case i go somewhere by myself for shots where i don't really care if i have them or not.

i hope my profile now doesn't self distruct.

What I really want to self destruct is this whole idea of having off-brand media just for fun. I feel like nothing you ever shoot is worth losing, right?

If you film your buddies at the skate park and they do some sick ass stunt, and then you come back with: "Hey, sorry man, the card was half full and it just started dropping frames like crazy!" they're not gonna say "Aw it's okay man!" They'll say "Dude wtf!!! REDs blow." ----

Jinnimags pretend to be REDmags. That's fucked up. They're not really fully compatible, at all. That's fucked up.

I fully support RED going after these guys with the fire and fury of 10,000 dragons.
    @ajt4k

ajt4k.com

REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61

Banned
    ha .. this is what happens when you use proprietory media and/or crippleware .. better to use open media .. sure wish I could buy a 64gig ssd for my one .. or any other size for that matter..

maybe you could cut a deal, and let him produce media for red ones ?

Nairobi, Kenya, & NSW, Australia & Oakland, CA USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    As I've said in the original thread, they should have stick to average 64gb mags for Raven crowd only, and obvisoulsy ask Red for a partnership. It would have created a product that Red doesn't have in store, just like Lexar 8gb back in the days, when Red 16gb and Reddrive 320-redssd 64 were available at Red only. Working with Red on that would probably resulted in limited bandwidth, but workable without hiccups. And true to the law.

I mean, 64gb without the need of a reader was a good idea for the Raven users. But you have to be legit... not like Jinni.

(and learning that the rippoff doesn't even work as advertised is just ridiculous.)
    I think this sounds like it could've been a good idea... but alas... red needs 3rdparty like foolcontrol, off hollywood etc, to bring new ideas to the mix, the problem is this guy seems a bit nuts / doesn't want to follow any rules... which really can't or ever work. we need reliable tools as filmmakers not just cheap cost.
    Nathan Collett
    Filmmaker
    EPIC-W Helium #3790
    RAVEN #27
    East Africa
    www.hotsunfilms.com

What exactly is the crime here? So they are selling an alternative media card to red mini mags. Isn't that the same thing as selling a cheap SD, CF card for any other digital camera? It reminds me of when Komputerbay started selling super cheap CF cards for magic lantern recordings. Everyone knew it was shady but as far as I know, there was no crime committed.

Is it a crime of false advertising, saying that it was as robust and up to spec as the red mini mags? Or maybe it is a crime of building something that is supposed to be proprietary? Those are what the documentation seemed to suggest.
    Last edited by Omar N; 03-16-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar N View Post
    Sorry, but what exactly is the crime here? So they are selling an alternative media card to red mini mags. Isn't that the same thing as selling a cheap SD, CF card for any other digital camera? It reminds me of when Komputerbay started selling super cheap CF cards for magic lantern recordings. Everyone knew it was shady but as far as I know, there was no crime committed.

Is it a crime of false advertising, saying that it was as robust and up to spec as the red mini mags? Or maybe it is a crime of building something that is supposed to be proprietary? Those are what the documentation seemed to suggest.
    First post and short answer, not the same.

- Patent Infringement
    - Trademark Infringement
    - False Designation of Origin
    - Unfair Competition
    - False Advertising
    - Unjust Enrichment
    - Breach of Contract

Proprietary technology is often ripped off and often to the detriment of the company of origin and occasionally their customers. In this case both.

And I know the drum has been banging. RED cameras use proprietary media for now. The short answer there is despite whatever cost savings, it's the most reliable way for the time being. Jarred did mention that next gen CFast might be something RED would consider, which is lovely news if they determine the media is up to snuff.

Industry wide, while all sorts of folks are using "off the shelf" media I see enough locally and via social networks of CF related things to never, ever want to touch them I've also experienced card failure on my other cameras that aren't RED which is a facepalm moment. Not all jobs are mission critical where if you lose a shot, an hour, or a day of filming. But RED is doing their best so you don't even have to worry about that. Chaos will still happen, but minimizing that chaos is critical. Especially on the shoots where you might be blowing $$,$$$ or $$$,$$$ or $,$$$,$$$ a day. Even if you are only shooting $,$$$ or $$$ or $$ a day budget stuff you know you can rely on your media that those who are doing studio level work are using.

I'm down for saving a buck and it's been said in here many times within this thread. But there's a balancing act between reliability and cost.

Focusing more on quality rather than saving a buck at the end of the day will save you a lot of headaches and perhaps even your job.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Omar N View Post
    What exactly is the crime here? So they are selling an alternative media card to red mini mags. Isn't that the same thing as selling a cheap SD, CF card for any other digital camera? It reminds me of when Komputerbay started selling super cheap CF cards for magic lantern recordings. Everyone knew it was shady but as far as I know, there was no crime committed.

The crime is that the RED camera body "talks" to the media and says "hey, are you certified RED media?" and to enable recording, the media says "yeah, here's proof from RED themselves!" Jinnimag does not have any approval or certification so when their media says "yeah", it is in fact lying as a part of the "handshake". The lying part is super important because it is PRETENDING to be something that it is not -- it is pretending to be RED media which means it is infringing on a patent...which is illegal.

This stuff is a bit confusing so hopefully this helps without having to read an entire court document. Also, if I'm incorrect here, please someone jump in. Trying to do an "Explain Like I'm 5" sort of thing for the concept...because that's kind of the only way I understand it :)

EDIT: aaaaaaaand there's the requisite Phil Holland post as I was typing mine.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Epic-W #796

Thanks Phil and Brendan, I understand now. That was the clarification I was looking for.

And just a disclaimer, I wasn't advocating for using cheap media, I was just trying to discern legal from illegal.

Everything is out of stock. What a shame

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

Focusing more on quality rather than saving a buck at the end of the day will save you a lot of headaches and perhaps even your job.
    nuff said
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    Local 52
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com