Thread: SCARLET-W Continuous Recording

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 SCARLET-W Continuous Recording 
    Question for anyone who has attempted it. I shoot projects that require 50-60 minutes of continuous rolling (live performances, etc) and have been using BMCC up until now. Does anyone know if the SCARLET-W is capable of doing that without having to stop and cool down?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Floyd View Post
    Question for anyone who has attempted it. I shoot projects that require 50-60 minutes of continuous rolling (live performances, etc) and have been using BMCC up until now. Does anyone know if the SCARLET-W is capable of doing that without having to stop and cool down?

Thank you!
    Yes, it will be fine. Watch the temps and if you need to you can turn up the fans. For live performances you will probably not be using camera mic audio anyways... so you can have the fans turned up a little more than usual if needed.

You can use this recording time calculator on RED's website (http://www.red.com/tools/recording-time) to determine what compression you may need to be at for the size mini-mag you have available.

Or record in Prores if you really need to save space.
    Your friendly Neighborhood REDuser
    Scarlet-W# 77
    http://spencerweaver.com/

I've also used tethered recording when I needed takes longer than the mags I had at hand.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Awesome, thank you guys!