Thread: VFX Plates in the Snow

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 VFX Plates in the Snow 
    The day before the last snow storm I got a call from "The Molecule" I had worked with them a good amount in the past and its always a good time, so I was excited that they called. They explained, they were working on a new show (can't tell you which one yet), and they needed some VFX plates of New York City in the snow. They wanted to know if could shoot these plates the very next day. They needed 7 Cameras. They needed crew. They needed everything. It was 3 PM, and snow was expected to start falling in 12 hours. We certainly didn't have much time.

Called up some buddies, grabbed some cameras, got an AC and a PA, 2 Grips and drove to Eastern Effects the next morning as soon as they opened to start the build out. Getting everything set up took a few hours but luckily what was a priority was dusk/evening shots around a hospital uptown, and everything we got before that was gravy. Which ended up being a good amount. In addition to what we needed, we got plates of various parts of Manhattan, which maybe won't be used for this show, but good to sit on for future work's needs.

As mentioned, we used 7 cameras for this plate shoot. We used 3 cameras in the front and 3 cameras in the rear, each set giving a full 180 view. Each of these cameras were either CF Weapons or Epic-Ws with their settings matched to each other, the camera on the roof was an Epic Dragon. The Epic Dragon was because we were not able to get another Epic-W brain on our ideal budget, and since the top camera was just a reflection plate camera Epic-Dragon was more than acceptable.

Unfortunately, I don't have BTS images of the set up inside the truck or out on set but, the workflow was pretty standard. We used FoolControl to control the cameras from inside the truck, had grips following us to make changes if needed, close enough for walkies, far enough away we couldn't see them. Typically about 10-15 blocks back. Only a few small glitches on the cameras caused by not having a prep day to get all the settings matched and issued worked through, but overall pretty smooth adventure, and the plates look awesome. The cameras held up really well. When the show airs, I'll come back and update the thread with the scenes these plates were used in.

This shoot really couldn't have happened if it were not for RED and the community around them. Sourcing 4 additional cameras in 12 hours was easier than I thought it would have been with the support of the NYC Red community.

Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.

CF Weapon, Epic-W, Leica Summicron-Cs, Schneider Xeons, available for rent nationwide.
    AKS, Lighting and Grip also available. PM for information.

Wow, that's an impressive rig.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Professionalism.

Pretty cool that you can do/be part of that.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Wow, that's an impressive rig.
    Thanks. The BTS pictures were taken by one of the clients, so I didn't realize that the picture of the back was not accurate. We eventually raised up the rear cameras so that they matched the height of the front cameras. This is necessary for continuity between cuts between the front passengers and the rear passengers.

We again altered the rig later in the evening to get specific plates for a scene where we needed to see out the back of an ambulance window.
    Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.

CF Weapon, Epic-W, Leica Summicron-Cs, Schneider Xeons, available for rent nationwide.

Love the fast response to record an epic weather event.

What lenses did you use? I guess you had to go with the best what were available at short notice?

Mike Brennan

We used the Canon 16-35L zooms on all 7 cameras. We had them full wide.
    Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.