Thread: Case for Trost Slider for airplanes

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Case for Trost Slider for airplanes 
    Any tips for an airplane case for a Trost 100cm slider?

I found some bigger ones but they were around 10kg heavy which felt a bit too much so would be nice with a bit lighter one if possible.

I found some peli cases that could work:
    1720 8.6kg INT 106.7 x 34.3 x 13.3 cm, EXT 112.7 x 40.6 x 15.5 cm
    1750 11.6 kg INT 128.3 x 34.3 x 13.3 cm, EXT 134.6 x 40.6 x 15.5 cm
    3300 10.4kg INT 128.3 x 35.6 x 15.2 cm, EXT (136.7 x 41.9 x 17 cm)

Trost details 7.5kg, Offset plates are maybe 2-3kg. Dimensions 102 x 32 x 7 cm
    Custion is how big one should pick. I guess in theory its nice to have a bigger case because I could put other things in it, but the weight will become more of a problem since it adds 2-3kg.

Cheers
    /Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 03-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    www.THUNDOOR.com- Visually poetic images and stories that matter
    Epic X #3734, Strummer Bright Tangerine, Red Primes, Clutch, Sachtler Video 20 S1

Andreas,

Since the slider is pretty robust, consider if needs a hard shell case.
    One option is to buy foam cut to size from these guys below or cut it yourself. Then have a very tightly fitting soft bag professionally made that squeezes the top and bottom foam pieced together.
    In UK I used acompany that made and repaired tents to make very durable bags that are still going 20 years later.
    Choose someone good with heavy duty zippers!
    It should be high density closed cell foam. A couple of compression straps will ensure the foam won't seperate.
    Bag and foam will only weight 2-3 kilos.
    If it is for a particular job get production to pay for it on the basis of saving them excess baggage. In return for your time designing and organising the build, you get to keep it.

http://www.innerspacecases.com/trost...-storm-im3220/

If you are worried that the slider rails could be bent if a heavy bag is dropoed on them, then consider sleeves in the top and bottom where a carbon fiber or composite panel can be inserted.

I've used this setup for particularly heavy kit where a hardcase takes all up weight well over 32kg.

Mike Brennan

I have the M100 with offset plates in a Pelican Storm iM3200. Perfect fit, and has provided great protection during both airline baggage handling and FedEx shipping.

Mike that is an interesting idea. A friend of mine had a Trost potentially damaged in transit so I dont think its completely indestructible even if its very strong.
    I think a setup like that would probably work fantastic while travelin in car, which we do quite a bit, but maybe the peli case is a bit better for airplane. I looked at Sri Lanka Airlines and their maximum size was smaller than this bag, but maybe they can accept it as if its a "surf board" or something similar.

Thanks for the tips!
    /Andreas
    Epic X #3734, Strummer Bright Tangerine, Red Primes, Clutch, Sachtler Video 20 S1

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Richardson View Post
    I have the M100 with offset plates in a Pelican Storm iM3200. Perfect fit, and has provided great protection during both airline baggage handling and FedEx shipping.
    That looks like a good match. Is it hard to cut the foam yourself?
    Do you think the offset plates would fit as well. They are 33.8cm long. Im not sure how useful they are yet, but I like the idea that you can put the slider directly on the ground or on a table without even using tripods.
    /Andreas

Andreas, it is novel, but I wouldn't be saying it works for airlines unless I know it were to be true.

I've shipped a $400k Cineflex in such an arrangement for a decade to keep its shipping weight below 32kg so it can go as accompanied baggage.
    If you drop it it bounces!

The arrangement is also handy for hand carrying zoom lenses that otherwise would have to go in the hold due to being over 7kg.

Mike Brennan

HPRC 5400W is a perfect fit for my Trost Motion + DitoGear Motion Motor kit, love it.

It's the one on the floor side ways behind the Mares bag, and it has traveled the globe few times :)

Writer | Producer | Director | DP

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Brennan View Post
    Andreas, it is novel, but I wouldn't be saying it works for airlines unless I know it were to be true.
    I've shipped a $400k Cineflex in such an arrangement for a decade to keep its shipping weight below 32kg so it can go as accompanied baggage.
    If you drop it it bounces!
    The arrangement is also handy for hand carrying zoom lenses that otherwise would have to go in the hold due to being over 7kg.
    Mike Brennan
    Hi Mike. It sounds like a brilliant idea! Very reasuring that you used it for such expensive equipment! It sounds like the perfect solution for a lot of cases.
    Could you elaborate a bit more what you use it for? If I understand you use it also for lenses?

So when we transport equipment we have a few different situations:
    - Travel with Car. Sturdy Volvo V70. And then usually walking to the places. Here the protection need is not so big, but good if there is some protection and good if its easy to carry to the site. I think your idea could work good here as well. Here I think a wagon with big wheels would be good to help transport. For the camera we use mounteneering backpacks which can take 25kg in, but of course the slider wont fit.
    - Airplane to different countries. Higher protection level, but you have to deal with the bags when you land so good if they are not overly heavy.

Cheers
    /Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    HPRC 5400W is a perfect fit for my Trost Motion + DitoGear Motion Motor kit, love it.

It's the one on the floor side ways behind the Mares bag, and it has traveled the globe few times :)

Hi Ketch. Your adventures always puts a smile on my face. Are you sure you could not have brought... another bag, haha. Good tip about the case, it looks like a nice solution.
    BEst
    /Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Hi Ketch. Your adventures always puts a smile on my face. Are you sure you could not have brought... another bag, haha. Good tip about the case, it looks like a nice solution.
    BEst
    /Andreas
    Ha ha, FYI those on pic are only the bags that could fit on the Boat trip for the day, had many more inside :)

But yeah HPRC are very nice cases, and I also made good use of the Hard Foam pieces that the Trost Motion shipped with, and fit perfectly inside the HPRC case for snug support.
    Writer | Producer | Director | DP