Thread: Need advice on wireless follow focus for ronin epic dragon combo

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Need advice on wireless follow focus for ronin epic dragon combo 
    Hello everyone,
    I have a ronin 3 with red epic dragon and Cinemodded Leica r lens set. I need a wireless follow focus to control focus on gimbal by myself. I was wondering if DJI will make thumb wheel for single operators or I should get the redrock micro wireless with thumbwheel instead. Is redrock louder than DJI? If appreciate any input. Would the noise level of the redrock motor be problem on set? Thank you all.
    Last edited by Osman F Arslan; 04-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.

If you can swing it, RTMotion is the better long term investment.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    WPN-M #820

Hello Bob,
    I deleted the question of which one would be a better investment. I phrased it wrong. Yes I'm sure rt motion would be better but I spent most of my budget and very limited budget left. So for now I'm looking for something reliable and less problem causing on set. Dji and redrock fit my budget at the moment. So either one would be ok. Normally I'd prefer Dji for its being newer product but it doesn't come with thumb wheel controller. That's my main issue. Redrock has it but I don't know how happy people are. I wanted to get advice from first hand users. Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Osman F Arslan View Post
    Hello Bob,
    I deleted the question of which one would be a better investment. I phrased it wrong. Yes I'm sure rt motion would be better but I spent most of my budget and very limited budget left. So for now I'm looking for something reliable and less problem causing on set. Dji and redrock fit my budget at the moment. So either one would be ok. Normally I'd prefer Dji for its being newer product but it doesn't come with thumb wheel controller. That's my main issue. Redrock has it but I don't know how happy people are. I wanted to get advice from first hand users. Thanks for the reply

I stumbled across this a couple months ago, I haven't tried it out yet, but might be something to look into.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2_single.html
    ------
    Jwilkinsonstudios.com
    Music.Fashion.Films
    Scarlet Dragon #4909
    Dallas, TX

Highly recommend the Axis 1 with smart roller, never let me down!

Thank you everyone for your advices. I ended up buying Redrock wireless with the thumbwheel. We will see how it'll perform. Anyway I should just be happy and try to get the best out of it. Best wishes to You all.
    Last edited by Osman F Arslan; 04-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Just picked up an Axis 1 myself. Very solid.
    Weapon/ Ultra primes
    https://bh264.sqsp.com/

Two days ago we were doing gear check for a music video and tried to rig DJI wireless on the ronin with Leica R lenses and the motor kept popping off the gears. My lenses have average stiffnes to them, but as being a slr lens they are bit more hard to rotate than cinema lenses and the DJI wireless couldnt cope with it sometimes. we ended up to gave up on it as i wanted a consistent solution.