Thread: Have seen the Red laser projector patents.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Have seen the Red laser projector patents. 
    Have scanned the diagrams, and a little text. Seems an overly complex brute force approach from memory. But remember, for personal viewing the system can be scaled down and repackaged. These things can be done little more complex than a fhd or $99 projector for personal viewing. It may need redesign to get around that low personal use lux rating at a personal price.

Shame it did not come out in many forms
    Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Inferiorly superior (humbleness) rather than superiorly inferior (arrogance). -
    Reputation is something the unwise apply. But integrity is what the wise apply.

So there are a few more recent ones than on the Red site.
    Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    So it might happen finally? :D
    A 4K laser projector for consumer use would break the home cinema market. No one could compete with it if it's around maximum $3000, relatively silent, 4K HDR and laser. Those specs alone would kill any competition. I would probably buy two just for the sake of it.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Links
    Epic Dragon & Canon CN-E street test
    Red Epic - Noise Reduction Test - Stockholm 2014
    Red Epic - Stockholm HDRx Test

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    So it might happen finally? :D A 4K laser projector for consumer use would break the home cinema market. No one could compete with it if it's around maximum $3000, relatively silent, 4K HDR and laser. Those specs alone would kill any competition. I would probably buy two just for the sake of it.
    Heck, I'd buy three if they were only $3000.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Heck, I'd buy three if they were only $3000.
    As far as I remember that was the price tag they had on it when releasing the news back when it was a thing. If anything it would seriously push the consumer market in the right direction.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Links
    Epic Dragon & Canon CN-E street test
    Red Epic - Noise Reduction Test - Stockholm 2014
    Red Epic - Stockholm HDRx Test

Christoffer, I only saw sub $10k low end version, where did they say $3k.. 3k wpuld have been great. Seriously, Red is wasting it's time. If they could release a 10k rec2020 color space 30+ inch monitor with an oem, there should be a lot of interested photographers out there as well as Red owners. Seriously, they could easily market a 16k-24k curved 60-81 inch monitor for video work to replace a lot of multi screen setups. I'm sure some people have 9 screen setups, but 3-4 screens+ is realistic. TV stations and studios is another market that might want to replace multiple monitor arrays with screens that displayed full res sub screens. The ppint is, Red is a big company, time to stop talking about it, amd just do something.

I still have never seen a screen good enough for daylight viewing. I love in principle the idea of a projector which can create a 120" screen but if I have to black out my house to get it... pass. LCD/OLED is so cheap now it's a tough sell to say "Hey do you want to deal with someone's head casting a shadow and that you have to view in a darkened room or do you want this $3,000 80" LCD?

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    So it might happen finally? :D
    A 4K laser projector for consumer use would break the home cinema market. No one could compete with it if it's around maximum $3000, relatively silent, 4K HDR and laser. Those specs alone would kill any competition. I would probably buy two just for the sake of it.
    I was ready to buy two 3K Scarlets. Just saying. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    I still have never seen a screen good enough for daylight viewing. I love in principle the idea of a projector which can create a 120" screen but if I have to black out my house to get it... pass. LCD/OLED is so cheap now it's a tough sell to say "Hey do you want to deal with someone's head casting a shadow and that you have to view in a darkened room or do you want this $3,000 80" LCD?
    Ideally, I would prefer not to have an 80" screen in my house. You can't easily move something like that. I only watch movies at night anyway, and I am not sure that people are going to be casting shadows on the wall. ;-) YMMV.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram

Gavin, did you find the laservue tear projection TV too bad. That is about the best on the market, you can buy the material, it is a 3M product, and there are others, some front, some luovers. But the segmented assemble at home panels are going be great. We could literally look at stack 120 inch into the car and assemble at home one day. Roll up oled is currently restricted gamut. There are ways to get a very high contrast and color gamut I figured, but the Sony stuff used on the hector is the closet I think. Problem is the laser on hectors are so low powered, I imagine for safety.