Thread: Imac screen calibration

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Imac screen calibration 
    I decided that I could no longer wait and got maxed out imac coming. What is a good calibration kit?

steve

No one?

steve

Banned
    U cannot properly cal that screen... Gotta use the viewing LUT feature of ur grading app to apply a calibration LUT... But obviously, that screen is not Pro grade

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel View Post
    U cannot properly cal that screen... Gotta use the viewing LUT feature of ur grading app to apply a calibration LUT... But obviously, that screen is not Pro grade
    That's what I've done. You can do this with DispCal and a decent probe (i1DP3 and i1 Pro on the low end). Works reasonably well, but Steve ultimately I think you will prefer to be grading on a better display such as a Flanders or similar. The advantage of Flanders is that you can send it in for calibration and just pay for shipping. And they have ability to store calibration LUTs.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel View Post
    I dont need pro grade I just need better than stock, no sense in going overboard on stuff that will be viewed on cell phones and ipads

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DiMaggio View Post
    I dont need pro grade I just need better than stock, no sense in going overboard on stuff that will be viewed on cell phones and ipads

steve
    But this will drive you crazy if you don't know if your work is accurate or not. What happens down stream is out of your control. But at least you can say it looks correct coming out of your edit suite.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    But this will drive you crazy if you don't know if your work is accurate or not. What happens down stream is out of your control. But at least you can say it looks correct coming out of your edit suite.
    I am not sweating it, I will always be the one editing and grading, I just want to get the most out of the imac screen.

steve

I am not sweating it, I will never be in a position in my business where someone else would be handling my footage, it is just not what I do.

steve
    Fair enough. As long as client is happy, that's all that matters in the end.
    Steve Sherrick

DisplayCal is free. i1DP3 and i1Pro combo is around $1200. You can get a Flanders LCD for $2500, OLED for $6K. Not pennies but will give you piece of mind. Or just rent one when you have a critical project that you need to make sure looks right.
    Steve Sherrick

I dont need pro grade I just need better than stock, no sense in going overboard on stuff that will be viewed on cell phones and ipads...
    If that's true, then why grade at all? Why not let it just go out and look mediocre?

There are ways of color-correcting at an affordable level, even with a calibrated display, without spending thousands of dollars. This is kind of like buying a boat: you can buy a $10 million yacht, or you can buy a $50,000 speedboat. In this case, a $39 rowboat ain't gonna get you far. If this is being released to the public and is a commercial (non-amateur) production that somebody is paying form, it deserves at least a minimal level of quality and expertise.

And the name of your company is ColorRoomFilms?
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer