Thread: The new MixPre Series by Sound Devices

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    MixPre3 just came in! I'll post some notes on it after some usage.
    Attached Images

Didn't realize they were actually shipping, I anxiously await your feedback.
    Raven 0730 "SHIRA"

I was able to test it for about 90min today. I was overall impressed by the unit.

The preamps are incredible! Crazy low noise floor. I bumped the gain to clip the source a few times and the limiter kicked in. I was very pleased by it's response! It had a very high quality response for the situation.

Great build quality. All the knobs feel good! Very bright screen and the knobs light differently depending on input level. Interface was quick and intuitive.

Only negative was I felt the battery compartment was too easy to detach. It would probably never come off but I wish I had to fight it a little harder to make it detach.

Thanks,
    Ty Maier

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    I would love to see a Sound Devices RED module. It would have exceptional mic pre, rock solid timecode, integrated SD card recorder, and even SDI/HDMI outputs. I've always wanted these two companies to work together to make something awesome like that.
    Amen. You know I've been saying this for years.

I'm interested in having the mixpre3 attached to the camera for doc shoots and be used as a preamp at times. Is it possible to power this unit with an Arri 2pin lemo or D-Tap?
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Singh View Post
    I'm interested in having the mixpre3 attached to the camera for doc shoots and be used as a preamp at times. Is it possible to power this unit with an Arri 2pin lemo or D-Tap?
    There is no direct DC-in besides the USB power input. It's either 4AA, 8AA, or L mount. I have confirmed they do not have plans for Canon LP-E6 battery plate on their roadmap.

You can go D tap to L mount. It would not be a locking connection, but someone is working on a MixPre battery plate with a Hirose in. That will be killer when it comes out.
    @ajt4k

ajt4k.com

REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Maier View Post
    I was able to test it for about 90min today. I was overall impressed by the unit.

The preamps are incredible! Crazy low noise floor. I bumped the gain to clip the source a few times and the limiter kicked in. I was very pleased by it's response! It had a very high quality response for the situation.

Great build quality. All the knobs feel good! Very bright screen and the knobs light differently depending on input level. Interface was quick and intuitive.

Only negative was I felt the battery compartment was too easy to detach. It would probably never come off but I wish I had to fight it a little harder to make it detach.

Thanks,
    Ty Maier
    Hi Ty - or anyone else that has tried the Mix Pre 3
    Have you tried going out from the 3.5mm out on the Mix pre 3 into the 3.5mm in on the I/O module on a DSMC2 camera?
    If so does that sound OK?
    I know that you can record internally on the Mix Pre 3 but I have a client that likes to have the audio embedded with the video.
    Even if I offer him matching time coded video and audio files - he would prefer not to match them up.
    I am thinking there Sound Devices Mix Pre 3 may be a good option as it is seems considerably lighter than the Zoom 4.
    Or do people think the 3.5mm connection will not be up to the job?
    Thanks for your thoughts
    cheers Richard
    www.cinestill.com
    Raven, 6x Zeiss CP.2, 3x Nikon zooms, Sachtler tripod, Sprinter Van with lighting kit for hire.

Does the MixPre3/6 have the ability to name individual tracks? What fine level control does it have over file naming & folder structure? Can notes be added to the metadata both before and after a recording?
    http://IronFilm.co.nz (based in Auckland, NZ)