Thread: Recent Fashion Film

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Recent Fashion Film 
    Its not girls on the beach, but this is a cool fashion film shoot I put together last week.

https://vimeo.com/214265953
    ------
    Jwilkinsonstudios.com
    Music.Fashion.Films
    Scarlet Dragon #4909
    Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wilkinson View Post
    Its not girls on the beach, but this is a cool fashion film shoot I put together last week.

love it

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
    ------
    Jwilkinsonstudios.com
    Music.Fashion.Films
    Scarlet Dragon #4909
    Dallas, TX

nice work, well done

I dont really see it as a fashion piece, or atleast im confused as to where it sits within the fashion realm. id say it needs a bit more of a story or some kind of engagement or connection.

He seems rather awkward and the poses feel rather stiff / generic and off the cuff - which really comes down to lack of direction.

I guess it could work for a portfolio piece for the models book if he is a new face or new to the industry but it confuses me a little as to what i'm watching, just nice visuals cut together? it also ends rather abruptly and fade away on the music - feels lazy and leaves me unsure what i just watched.

I think as a director you should look at developing more of a story, whats the intention of the video?

fashion commercial? then it should be about the clothing and his connection - how this model is selling these garments/products to the viewer

Editorial? probably more the right style for this video? but it still doesn't have much of a story or variety to work in this genre

Being hyper critical it feels like what people call fashion when they have taken nice visuals with little thought and process or planning with a stylist/designer etc and then tagged it under fashion as its a guy in clothing...

I hope that doesnt sound too critical and moody, i just think with some more pre production thought, planning and process, you will end up with better results!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Ainsworth View Post
    I dont really see it as a fashion piece, or atleast im confused as to where it sits within the fashion realm. id say it needs a bit more of a story or some kind of engagement or connection.

He seems rather awkward and the poses feel rather stiff / generic and off the cuff - which really comes down to lack of direction.

I guess it could work for a portfolio piece for the models book if he is a new face or new to the industry but it confuses me a little as to what i'm watching, just nice visuals cut together? it also ends rather abruptly and fade away on the music - feels lazy and leaves me unsure what i just watched.

I think as a director you should look at developing more of a story, whats the intention of the video?

fashion commercial? then it should be about the clothing and his connection - how this model is selling these garments/products to the viewer

Editorial? probably more the right style for this video? but it still doesn't have much of a story or variety to work in this genre

Being hyper critical it feels like what people call fashion when they have taken nice visuals with little thought and process or planning with a stylist/designer etc and then tagged it under fashion as its a guy in clothing...

I hope that doesnt sound too critical and moody, i just think with some more pre production thought, planning and process, you will end up with better results!

Fair enough criticisms I suppose.

1. I am not a director and Iím a terrible, terrible writer.

This model had never done any video work before. I suppose I use fashion loosely in general to describe any form of beauty work. I realize thatís not the technical industry definition.

This was literally a $0 project we shot on an hour, testing on location lighting mostly, I had recently bought a generator at the time. I Wanted to shoot some pretty stuff for my reel to help me land some more Beauty lifestyle ads ( which in the 13 months since I shot this and some others, it has).
    ------
    Jwilkinsonstudios.com
    Music.Fashion.Films
    Scarlet Dragon #4909
    Dallas, TX

Fair enough criticisms I suppose.

1. I am not a director and Iím a terrible, terrible writer.

This model had never done any video work before. I suppose I use fashion loosely in general to describe any form of beauty work. I realize thatís not the technical industry definition.

This was literally a $0 project we shot on an hour, testing on location lighting mostly, I had recently bought a generator at the time. I Wanted to shoot some pretty stuff for my reel to help me land some more Beauty lifestyle ads ( which in the 13 months since I shot this and some others, it has).
    First off, congrats on getting more work from what you created. It's a good stepping stone to get to the next level.

Often, you'll come across a similar type of response as Will's when labeling videos as 'fashion' with people who have been working in the industry for a while. The first time I posted a model film similar to this one several years ago on this forum when I was trying to do more fashion related work, it got ripped to shreds. It's one thing to shoot models posing/walking around, but another to create an art piece that can be highly conceptual, and sometimes not even about the clothing. That's what a fashion film can be thought of - more about an idea/mood/vibe than anything else.

For examples and inspiration, a good place to visit would be http://berlinfashionfilmfestival.net/showroom

It can feel a little ridiculous to nitpick, but terminology is important to people in the industry. You're often dealing with people who are very detail oriented and meticulous when you deal with the fashion industry.

As a side note - the "beauty" genre is specifically for makeup/cosmetics, hair care, skin care, nails, etc. Not exactly sure about the term "beauty lifestyle", I haven't heard that term before and I frequently work with large cosmetics and hair care & color brands. Hope that helps to clarify.

agree with above ^^^ also it wasnt me ripping your work to shreds, just without critique you will not progress. i still have loads to learn, wherever i can get help or notes of improvement i jump at the chance - so was just giving something id like to hear myself if i was in your shoes! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Ainsworth View Post
    agree with above ^^^ also it wasnt me ripping your work to shreds, just without critique you will not progress. i still have loads to learn, wherever i can get help or notes of improvement i jump at the chance - so was just giving something id like to hear myself if i was in your shoes! :)
    You certainly did not rip his work to shreds. Far from it. It was a much gentler critique than what I had received years ago :)

My response was to take it all in, study what people were considering fashion, and continue to work towards that. It's like the clichť saying of once you know the rules, then you can break them. So I think it's still really important that people understand different industries and genres, especially when trying to sell or promote one's work as a certain type of artist.

I quite liked this piece. I especially liked the colors. Tone was nice as well.

/Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm