Thread: First CP.3 lens for Scarlet-W

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Oron Cohen View Post
    I wonder how CA of contax will compare to CP3? Anyone?
    When i was deciding whether to go full down the contax route i did also buy a 50 ZE and a 50 Milvus and did comparisons between them and a number of Contax 50s.

I found the Contax to be warmer than the ZE and also the CA, well the purple fringing, to be better. The ZE was a bit sharper. The Milvus was better still but it was more than twice the weight and i just didn't see the improvement to justify that.

I really don't know what is it with modern lens design. I think they're just correcting to the n'th degree based on CAD tests.

My voightlander 50mm f1.5 blows all the above out of the water and is even lighter.

The CP3 i am still really interested in, not just meta data but hoping that there was a sweet spot between design and weight.

cheers
    Paul

I'd be really bummed if the CP .3 issues really are unfixable design flaws. :(
    ---
    Nikhil Kamkolkar
    Writer/Filmmaker: http://www.IndianCowboy.com
    Back Kickstarter staff pick ROMEO REPLAYED - a political thriller film: http://bit.ly/romeoreplayed

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    When i was deciding whether to go full down the contax route i did also buy a 50 ZE and a 50 Milvus and did comparisons between them and a number of Contax 50s.

I found the Contax to be warmer than the ZE and also the CA, well the purple fringing, to be better. The ZE was a bit sharper. The Milvus was better still but it was more than twice the weight and i just didn't see the improvement to justify that.

I really don't know what is it with modern lens design. I think they're just correcting to the n'th degree based on CAD tests.

My voightlander 50mm f1.5 blows all the above out of the water and is even lighter.

The CP3 i am still really interested in, not just meta data but hoping that there was a sweet spot between design and weight.

cheers
    Paul
    Thanks for info Paul!

From my experience with all vintage glass, they could be a bit fragile, I had Cooke SII and Contax and other old lenses go out of tune, aperture stopped working, focus rotation isn't good, all sorts of things.
    also, I actually like the larger size of the Milvus, but for the life of me I don't understand why Zeiss are insisting to offer the clickless aperture feature only on the Nikon version? What's the big issue with making the Canon version also have full manual aperture?

Now I wonder how the Milvus compare to the CP.3?? is it the same glass or are they using the older ZF designs (still?!)on the CP3?
    Oron Cohen
    Scarlet-W
    www.oroncohen.com

Sadly, after I made an enquiry on the topic to CVP, their technical rep confirmed, that the CP.3 are soft under f/4 and do exhibit nasty CA. I hope Zeiss shines in with some explanation like "aаah maybe we had just several bad sets but you may gamble with your 20K usd now" :D

Quote Originally Posted by Emilian Dechev View Post
    Sadly, after I made an enquiry on the topic to CVP, their technical rep confirmed, that the CP.3 are soft under f/4 and do exhibit nasty CA. I hope Zeiss shines in with some explanation like "aаah maybe we had just several bad sets but you may gamble with your 20K usd now" :D
    That's quite a statement from a major retailer.

It's true that i've not seen many reviews of the CP.3 but we all understand them to be based on milvus, and so 'wide open' depends on the lens. All 50s tend to be soft wide open with the exception of Otus and later generations which have a lot more corrections in. The Milvus 50 is a later generation but the one thing that zeiss don't really correct for is the magenta fringing and also magenta/green as things go out of focus. They trade sharpness for that and that's a choice.

The inter webs are full of side by sides.

You need something the size of an Otus to really correct, and also make it APO (which helps the loca style magenta/green fringing).

However it is also true to say that the glass isn't *that* different from ZE either, some optical designs are the same. And in turn they can be quite different from contax, and in my experience the contax tends to be softer but less aberrations.

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    That's quite a statement from a major retailer.

It's true that i've not seen many reviews of the CP.3 but we all understand them to be based on milvus, and so 'wide open' depends on the lens. All 50s tend to be soft wide open with the exception of Otus and later generations which have a lot more corrections in. The Milvus 50 is a later generation but the one thing that zeiss don't really correct for is the magenta fringing and also magenta/green as things go out of focus. They trade sharpness for that and that's a choice.

The inter webs are full of side by sides.

You need something the size of an Otus to really correct, and also make it APO (which helps the loca style magenta/green fringing).

However it is also true to say that the glass isn't *that* different from ZE either, some optical designs are the same. And in turn they can be quite different from contax, and in my experience the contax tends to be softer but less aberrations.

cheers
    Paul
    I did a blind test on Epic-W and Scarlet-W, otus and milvus. There was no comparison. Purple fringe on milvus to say the least.