Thread: Nvidia Web Driver issue with macOS 10.12.5 update

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Nvidia Web Driver issue with macOS 10.12.5 update 
    My MacPro 5,1, running an Nvidia 1080 ti updated today to the latest macOS patch, v10.12.5, and it disabled the video card. The Nvidia web driver is not compatible with the os update. Best to wait until Nvidia ships an updated web driver.

ymmv

Thanks for this, Stephen. A little more information here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/m...update.220866/
    That post should be updated when the new drivers are available and it looks like some people are having success with some configurations.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Yeah...this is usually the case. You gotta wait for Nvidia to release new drivers before updating OSX. Me personally, I stay a generation behind and wait till a new OS matures.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

It's been like that for a long time: Nvidia web drivers are signed to the MacOs version (backwards compatible), but as soon as a new version is out it breaks the driver.

There will be quite a few new Nvidia customers on Mac who will step on that mine unfortunately. Just make sure MacOS auto updates are off (apps can still auto update) and wait for the new driver. Now that Nvidia has made a new commitment it should be out fairly soon.

NVidia driver 378.05.05.15f01 for 10.12.5 is out, find link here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/

Would having the card flashed by Macvid cards prevent this in the future?

no you sill need to use the nvidia driver

Off topic, but is there any benefit in a 1080 ti in a 5,1? Doesn't the 980 or 980 ti max out the 5,1 bandwidth?
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Long View Post
    Off topic, but is there any benefit in a 1080 ti in a 5,1? Doesn't the 980 or 980 ti max out the 5,1 bandwidth?
    On some tasks the bandwidth restrictions of the old cheese grater will keep you from getting the full potential of the newer cards. On some tasks, it's all about compute muscle and the speed of the bus is not a meaningful limiting factor. If, like me, you'd really like to stay with OS X and are planning to wait for the modular MacPro next year - then it wight be worth looking at how much difference it would make to go from a GTX980/4GB (which I am currently running in my 5,1 with no need for aux PSU) to a 1080Ti/11GB for your specific use case.

Just keep in mind, the scale of improvement you see between various GPUs in benchmark testing may not reflect your actual performance delta. You would likely need to add an aux PSU to properly support the 1080Ti. You are roaming in the land of diminishing returns on such an old architecture.

Cheers - #19

We absolutely love the 1080ti in our 5,1 towers, we now have 2 running and they are awesome with AE and Resolve..... And you won't regret buying the 1080ti less then 30 days from now when 7,1 hits.