Thread: Atlas Lens Co. - Orion Series 2X Anamorphic Prime Lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wee View Post
    Just got my new set today. Here's a little pure unboxing video I made.

https://youtu.be/_p7bN7yX1wg
    Nice little unboxing video.

Congratulations Team Atlas! Wishing you guys great success.

That's one of the many reasons anamorphic movies look different than spherical movies. Due to the breathing, you block differently, and rack a lot less. Anamorphic and breathing go hand in hand. This is not a bad thing.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    That's one of the many reasons anamorphic movies look different than spherical movies. Due to the breathing, you block differently, and rack a lot less. Anamorphic and breathing go hand in hand. This is not a bad thing.

Nick
    Agreed Nick. Also, if anyone is so concerned with breathing and flaring, they are missing the point of the beautiful field of view of anamorphics and how it feels emotionally.

Regarding Breathing:

First let me say from experience - Any Lens Design is a compromise. Compromise is one of the key aspects of design philosophy which allows things to either "Be Real" or just "Be Talk"

Now, as for our anamorphic lenses - we knew there had to be breathing as part of the optical design - but what we did was make it so that when you focus closer your field of view actually becomes slightly larger (definition of breathing = change of field of view through focus range.)

We could have made it so that the field of view is smaller when focusing closer, but this seemed antithetical to the principles of camera operating.

If you're focusing on something closer in frame you might have a harder time keeping the frame where you want it if the field of view became narrower.

In this way, we focused on camera operating principles as part of a necessary compromise in design, that ultimately we believe you will find more engaging to yourselves as camera people and to the audience watching your films and commercials.

This subtle design philosophy choice is but one of many things we have done to make the lenses good for camera people, like Us.

In life, few things if any are perfect , but at Atlas we seek to uplift and improve your lives through cinematographic experience.

Happy American Independence Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Regarding Breathing:

First let me say from experience - Any Lens Design is a compromise. Compromise is one of the key aspects of design.

Now, as for our anamorphic lenses - we knew there had to be breathing as part of the optical design - but what we did was make it so that when you focus closer your field of view actually becomes slightly larger (definition of breathing = change of field of view through focus range.)

We could have made it so that the field of view is smaller when focusing closer, but this seemed antithetical to the principles of camera operating.

If you're focusing on something closer in frame you might have a harder time keeping the frame where you want it if the field of view became narrower.

In life, few things if any are perfect.

Happy American Independence Day!
    Well said, Dan.

Hey Dan, just out of curiosity for photography purposes, is it possible to mount an Orion the wrong way (for squeezed verticals instead of horizontals) and not experience any vignette?
    Or does the 31mm Image Circle only apply to the horizontal resolution when mounted correctly?
    Epic-X Dragon #08127

Hey Brandon - what sensor(s) are you on?

I can give a full report when I have time.

You can rotate the lens 90 so you have a lot of options- all the PL pins are slotted.

Can someone post lens test from a Monstro 8K 6:5?
    Jacob Schwarz
    Director / DP
    www.jacobschwarz.net
    Monstro 8K (Storm) 33 / Forged Helium 8K #29 / Epic-W
    Follow Me: Twitter / YouTube