Thread: Atlas Lens Co. - Orion Series 2X Anamorphic Prime Lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Please come say hello today at our booth at Cinegear!

P112 in the ice cold air conditioned white tent in the water tank on the backlot.

Tiffen Stabilizer Expo Sunday in Burbank too !

Awesome test film from Nick Morrison at Small Giant

https://vimeo.com/220099713

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Hi Dan,

Nice chatting with you and Forrest at your booth this weekend. Would it be possible to add a screw-in 'net filtration ring' to the back of the PL mount (and also possibly the EF mount) while still leaving enough space to clear a mirror shutter? I think this would be a popular feature.

Also, how do you guys control mumping in your system? It appears to be very well-managed through the focus range on the 65mm. I love how smooth the focus ring is, to be honest it feels smoother than the Hawk V-Lites.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    Hi Dan,

Nice chatting with you and Forrest at your booth this weekend. Would it be possible to add a screw-in 'net filtration ring' to the back of the PL mount (and also possibly the EF mount) while still leaving enough space to clear a mirror shutter? I think this would be a popular feature.
    Hi Satsuki,

Thanks for the kind words!

this is something we definitely had under consideration, however after carefully examining what it means to the optical path in our system we made the decision to leave it out.

All I can tell you about adding a rear filter tray like that is that (at least for us) the drawbacks way outweigh the benefits to the system. On paper it sounds really like a great idea, but when you start examining the photonics of it, there are quite a few problems that can pop up. Never say never, but it just was not in the cards for this series of lenses.

Regarding the mechanics - we appreciate the compliment, but personally I think the mechanics of the V-Lites are better than our prototypes.

Our production lenses will be way better than our prototypes, so if you like them now, I think you are in for a treat.

Thanks for the comments on the performance - we have an amazing optical design team led by Forrest, and pleasing treatment of human faces was our number one consideration above all else.

Best,

Dan

Banned
    Hi Dan,

Is it in your plans to open an office or to have dealers in Europe? Of course there are two anamorphic giants in Europe (Cooke and ARRI) but with a completely different selling policy as far as pricing is concerned. US of course is the biggest market but Europe is not unnoticeable as well.

At the moment we do worldwide direct sales ourselves.

Eventually we will be exploring local service center options as well as reseller relationships.

At this time we find it best to be close to end customers as possible in order to best support their needs, but we know many only like buying through resellers especially in Europe. We are a global company, so our goal is to open anamorphic options for cinematographers the world around, price is only one small part of the consideration and heart we put into making these.

$$$ down on a single 40mm. Looking forward.

Dan, killer lens. Glad I got to come by the tent and see you both. You know how bad I wanna go shoot some footage on this right? I wanted to take it off that slider and go mash around the city with it. Beautiful beautiful things will come of this. :)
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Arri Alexa Mini/Amira
    RED Epic-X Dragon
    RED Scarlet W
    Canon C300 Mark i/ii
    Ursa Mini Pro
    Sony A7s/r ii
    Cooke Panchro/i Classics
    Atlas Orion Anamorphic set
    Angenieux EZ1/2
    Celere HS PL lens set 25,36,50,85
    Leica R, 19,24,35,50,80,135 duclos
    DSO Trump series 38,58,88
    Sigma Cine Primes 20,24,35,50,85
    Contax Zeiss 25,35,50,85,100,180,300 superspeeds
    GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200
    tokina 11-16 PL
    Cooke 18-100

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Hi Satsuki,

Thanks for the kind words!

this is something we definitely had under consideration, however after carefully examining what it means to the optical path in our system we made the decision to leave it out.

All I can tell you about adding a rear filter tray like that is that (at least for us) the drawbacks way outweigh the benefits to the system. On paper it sounds really like a great idea, but when you start examining the photonics of it, there are quite a few problems that can pop up. Never say never, but it just was not in the cards for this series of lenses.

Regarding the mechanics - we appreciate the compliment, but personally I think the mechanics of the V-Lites are better than our prototypes.

Our production lenses will be way better than our prototypes, so if you like them now, I think you are in for a treat.

Thanks for the comments on the performance - we have an amazing optical design team led by Forrest, and pleasing treatment of human faces was our number one consideration above all else.

Best,

Dan
    Ok, well I'm glad you said 'never say never.' ;) Would love to shoot a test with a rear-net snot-taped on the old fashioned way to see how it looks. Sometimes 'scientifically bad' can also mean 'photographically awesome'!