Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Beta Build v6.4.23

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Senior Member Robert Gustafsson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marek Mysicke View Post
    this is a video camera. the basic function of it is to record image.. plus.. in previous builds, the record was ok.. DO you get it! 6 month after the camera is released and the software is still flaky.. and your camera does not record image you capturing!! Im sorry but wtf!!!
    You maybe wanna try out a release build instead of a beta...
    RED EPIC-W #1939
    http://treborian.com

Senior Member Anthony Berenato Jr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Duncan View Post
    Am I the only person that tests my camera before every single shoot with the settings I'm using, especially while running the beta? Seems like a no-brainer on commercial projects with beta firmware.
    I'd hope this is the norm. Always check settings, blackshade, and performance (as no system is free of bugs under certain situations). Secure format and blackshade as needed ! Beta is for play testing, or those who can switch to a stable release in the field. I guess everyone learns by either reading horror stories - or being a daredevil.

Guys....I don't understand why complaining to much. You know that is a BETA, so why some of you used for paid projects?? I NEVER do that, I have actually never installed the beta, I will be patient to wait and at least I don't screw up my job...lol...
    The guys at RED are doing a HUGE job to fix all the problems, it will take time, but they will do it. I remember when I had issue with the new side handle stopping recording on pro res at 60fps, I did myself 20 hours test and send all back to Red, after two weeks they fix it. They are there to listen and to collaborate, so anything happen,please report to them and do as much test as possible you can.

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #104  
    god damn!! RED!!!! you just screwed up my shoot.. recording prores does not work!! camera signals it is recording but the file does not get written on the card. This is seriously alarming.. I get Im using beta but in previous beta, this was working all fine!!!
    Hello Marek,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing.

Could you please submit a Technical Support request on SUPPORT.RED.COM with additional information as well as the log file from your camera? We would like to get this information to our Engineers for further analysis.

Thank you.

-Chad

god damn!! RED!!!! you just screwed up my shoot.. recording prores does not work!! camera signals it is recording but the file does not get written on the card. This is seriously alarming.. I get Im using beta but in previous beta, this was working all fine!!!
    Yes, this is true for 2k with full height (8k capture, 6k capture, etc) but works fine with 2:1 and widescreen. 4k ProRes does not have the option for baked in LUT but works fine at all resolutions, at least to my testing. It is odd, but true, the camera gives the indication it is recording 2k ProRes but it is not unless the format is less than full height. Probably a bug I would guess. Try ProRes 2:1 and see if that works for you?

Jon
    EPIC-W 1402
    EPIC-W 6423

It says "Warning Beta" when you start it up, does it not?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

I love how Red screwed up your shoot because YOU chose not only to not use a release firmware but also to not test the beta firmware before using it....

Perhaps on reflection it is more accurate to say YOU screwed up your shoot because you didn't prep for it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

I already used my SW for 2 paid jobs with the beta firmware and just found one glitch: when I immediately press record from the 1:1 magnify mode without first returning to normal view mode, it records but the monitor shows a wild dancing green stripes and it persist until I toggle the Magnify button on and off again. Other than that the camera performs great (the Beta extra bandwidth is awesome), REDcode 3:1 on 5K WS!!
    Of course use the BETAs at your own risk.
    SCARLET-W #004760

Quote Originally Posted by mike zorger View Post
    It's working fine for me on my EW but the word "BETA" kind of freaks me out, not sure how others feel about it.
    Freaking you out is the point. :) They want you to understand that this is not a release build and should not be used on a real job. (Paying or otherwise)

The more users that test it and report feedback, the sooner Red can offer a release version. A release builds needs to meet such a high bar since a lot of money is involved and if something goes wrong, careers can be hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    I love how Red screwed up your shoot because YOU chose not only to not use a release firmware but also to not test the beta firmware before using it....

Perhaps on reflection it is more accurate to say YOU screwed up your shoot because you didn't prep for it.
    I am so happy that Red added the "Warning Beta" to the UI. Hopefully clients see this and question why a beta FW is being used on a production job.

If someone wants to use the beta FW on a real job, that is their choice. However, when doing so, they need to take responsibility for any issues that occur and not blame Red. It is not Red's fault that a beta build may fail.

Maybe Red should have a EULA like dialog on every bootup saying are you sure you want to use this beta? Once you accept let the user know that the R3Ds recorded with this build will be marked as beta. Then the beta should be tagged in the metadata along with a note that the user accepted the beta agreement. Then if a client sends Red some footage and complains, Red can see if it was shot on beta FW and let the customer know that the camera operator used beta software. Maybe even every 3rd party app can see this beta tag and report it in the software. That would probably make people think twice before using beta in production.

Again, I fully understand why some people take a chance and shoot on the beta. I have done this myself. If you do this, own it! Red is not responsible for the issues that were encountered on a beta build on a real job. It is nice to see Red reach out and help, as that is just great customer service, but in no way is this Red's fault.

I am normally one of the first to install Red beta's, but since the current beta does not work with the WC battery plates, I have not been able to use it. My VV is currently using V-mount batteries with the WC plate. Hopefully this is not a breaking change that requires something new from WC. We don't know why the FW changed. Hope it is a bug.

this is a video camera. the basic function of it is to record image.. plus.. in previous builds, the record was ok.. DO you get it! 6 month after the camera is released and the software is still flaky.. and your camera does not record image you capturing!! Im sorry but wtf!!!
    I get it, this is a beta build and should not be used on a real job as issues can be expected. Things change from build to build during the development life cycle. Something might work one build and break the next, during beta.

If you are having trouble on a release build, then that is a real issue and should be dealt with ASAP.

Beta 6.4.23 is not as bad as many reported here. Very stable on my EpicW (not sure about the other cameras though).

I have been testing and shooting latest beta for quite a while now. Last week I took it on a 2 days commercial shoot. Besides that foolcontrol hangs sometimes in playback mode (it does the same with release firmware too) EpicW performed flawlessly.
    However, it is important that you have a full backup solution for such paid jobs. In our case we had a second EpicW with release firmware installed as backup body. Luckily, never had to touch it.