Thread: Wifi Keeps Dropping Out - Scarlet-W - Foolcontrol losing connection

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Wifi Keeps Dropping Out - Scarlet-W - Foolcontrol losing connection 
    Hey everyone! Hoping someone can provide some insight.

My experience with the Scarlet-W and trying to use Foolcontrol on an iPad has been a bit of a nightmare. I am not sure if it's a foolcontrol issue, a Scarlet-W issue, or both, but the Wifi constantly drops out (probably every 2-3 takes) and needs to be reset for Foolcontrol to find it again. Sometimes this involves shutting down the Scarlet-W entirely, sometimes only going to the Wifi settings and turning it on and off. This mostly happens between takes but I've had it happen a number of times in the middle of takes. More often than not, all the focus points have to be reset again in Foolcontrol. As you can imagine, this can really mess with the flow on set, especially if things need to move quickly and it looks unprofessional to a client that we are constantly fidgeting with semi-working technology. Does anyone have experience with this? Would really appreciate the help!

Having exactly the same problem with the same setup.

Would really like this to work properly too.

If you're relying on the internal ad-hoc wifi, then that is just going to happen.

You could bring a tiny router around with you (something like this TP-Link) or you could boost the ad-hoc signal with an antenna like this WC Side Plate.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    If you're relying on the internal ad-hoc wifi, then that is just going to happen.

You could bring a tiny router around with you (something like this TP-Link) or you could boost the ad-hoc signal with an antenna like this WC Side Plate.
    I ordered the router, thanks for the tip. As far as ad-hoc (which is useful if for instance out in the field with no power source) I don't think it has to do with signal strength based on the symptoms I am seeing. The connection cuts out with the focus puller literally 5 feet away from me. It seems to be an issue with the consistency/stability of the connection rather than the signal strength. I could be wrong but that's just what I'm seeing.

Can everyone please please share their Save logs with Red / and file bug reports.

If the Camera requires a Shutdown to reset the wifi this is Definitely a Firmware issue that they need to fix.

Red have 1 x fix for wifi that has not 100% fixed this issue, and so the more people that can Keep sharing this issue with Red, the more information they will have to track down the problem and fix it.

For the record:
    +) I loose connection and get locked out of the camera at 50cm away.
    +) On some of those occasions, the camera still has my client App connected (even though it s not!)
    +) On some occasions I am forced to turn the camera off to fix it (and restart it)

AJ

Does it also drop the connection instantly when you magnify with FC?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterjan Djufri Futra View Post
    Does it also drop the connection instantly when you magnify with FC?
    Mine is pretty random.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Milgram View Post
    I ordered the router, thanks for the tip. As far as ad-hoc (which is useful if for instance out in the field with no power source) I don't think it has to do with signal strength based on the symptoms I am seeing. The connection cuts out with the focus puller literally 5 feet away from me. It seems to be an issue with the consistency/stability of the connection rather than the signal strength. I could be wrong but that's just what I'm seeing.
    Well consistency/stability of the connection also directly correlate to your signal strength. If you're on the edge of a WiFi network, it'll show you 2-3 "bars" but your speeds will be different than if you are on top of it. The Ad-Hoc can be on the edge of usability 5ft away (from my experience). I'd grab a little USB battery pack and bongo tie it to the router. You can mount it on the camera or have the AC leave it in his/her pouch. I find this works pretty well, but I also only use FC when placing/leaving the camera, jib, gimbal, etc. For normal operation I don't use it that often.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    Well consistency/stability of the connection also directly correlate to your signal strength. If you're on the edge of a WiFi network, it'll show you 2-3 "bars" but your speeds will be different than if you are on top of it. The Ad-Hoc can be on the edge of usability 5ft away (from my experience). I'd grab a little USB battery pack and bongo tie it to the router. You can mount it on the camera or have the AC leave it in his/her pouch. I find this works pretty well, but I also only use FC when placing/leaving the camera, jib, gimbal, etc. For normal operation I don't use it that often.
    I want to use FoolControl for jib and gimbal work but it hasn't been possible. I'd like to hear from anyone using the wifi features regularly and reliably? Despite following all the advice on here and from Mikaels' guide I consistently lose the connection after a few minutes and have to force shutdown the camera to get wifi up again, it also prevents me from saving a log file and hangs on shutdown. It's been back to RED twice and they report no issues, yet for me any of the wifi functionality is totally unusable. I assume those singing the praises of these features and FoolControl aren't experiencing this as any production I've been on wouldn't put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    Can everyone please please share their Save logs with Red / and file bug reports.

If the Camera requires a Shutdown to reset the wifi this is Definitely a Firmware issue that they need to fix.

AJ
    If it's a firmware issue, why are only a few people reporting the issue? I was just testing it again to report back to RED and after shutting the camera down it continued to heat up to the point where it hurt to touch. It wasn't even turned on, I had to remove the power source entirely. Really worrying if I hadn't noticed.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross C Turner View Post
    If it's a firmware issue, why are only a few people reporting the issue? I was just testing it again to report back to RED and after shutting the camera down it continued to heat up to the point where it hurt to touch. It wasn't even turned on, I had to remove the power source entirely. Really worrying if I hadn't noticed.
    If it crashes on shutdown you can save a log from the maintenance menu to send to RED support.
    Log files contain previous data even after a FW re-install so hopefully they will be able to find some info to fix your camera / wifi issues.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram