Thread: Wifi Keeps Dropping Out - Scarlet-W - Foolcontrol losing connection

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    If it crashes on shutdown you can save a log from the maintenance menu to send to RED support.
    Log files contain previous data even after a FW re-install so hopefully they will be able to find some info to fix your camera / wifi issues.
    Thanks Mikael. I have done this a few times and shared with RED but they say it hasn't shown anything up.
    Last edited by Ross C Turner; 06-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Issue is not directly related to foolcontrol app as Antony is using his own code and has similar issues...
    I've had the shutdown crash a few times here in the past but most of the time my camera can stay connected for hours.

Do you use any top plate, or other wireless accessories that could interfere with the camera's antenna ?
    Have you looked at your surrounding networks to see if it was very crowded on all channels ?
    Using latitude, OMOD command or COLR as an access point is a good option for stronger wifi too...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Issue is not directly related to foolcontrol app as Antony is using his own code and has similar issues...
    I've had the shutdown crash a few times here in the past but most of the time my camera can stay connected for hours.

Do you use any top plate, or other wireless accessories that could interfere with the camera's antenna ?
    Have you looked at your surrounding networks to see if it was very crowded on all channels ?
    Using latitude, OMOD command or COLR as an access point is a good option for stronger wifi too...
    I never suspected the app as otherwise I'm sure many others would see issues crop up. No accessories. I've followed your best practice guide. I've tried multiple iOS devices and as far as I'm aware I'm using equipment that others report good success with (TP-Link router etc..).

The new beta firmware improved the ad-hoc mode significantly but with any router on infrastructure mode, it won't last more that a few minutes without needing a reboot. I'd be happy if I could just trigger record reliably.

I can see a crowded network causing interference and potential drop outs but don't see why it should mean a reboot anyway, none of my other wi-fi devices have that problem. All of which cost a fraction of the price. It still didn't work when shooting in rural areas with zero wifi networks present.

Had a FS7 on a 30ft jib last week, the app isn't great but it worked reliably all day. I've discussed with RED dropping in with my camera and replicating the problem in person. I will say RED have been really great at discussing the problem but it's been 7 months ( they've had the camera for 5-6 weeks of that) and still no solution or explanation. Really frustrating.

Same problems here with ScarletW. Very often loosing connection regardless is it in Ad-hoc mode or infrastructure with TPlink router.
    Also it looks like it doesn't matter is it in some studio with lot of various wifi signals or outside in rural area.

Only peripheral accessories I use on SW are Paralinx Arrow HD link and DJI wireless follow focus.

Same things happening with REDlink app.

Don't mean to bring back an few months old topic, but has there been any possible advancements on this?

I feel as if I might have made a mistake buying the Scarlet-W hoping that Foolcontrol would work reliably which it doesn't. Just did a shoot this week and used infrastructure mode and there was no noticeable difference; it drops out all the same. Works for one or two takes, then camera needs a re-boot in order for Foolcontrol to connect. Is anyone seeing this on other RED bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Milgram View Post
    Don't mean to bring back an few months old topic, but has there been any possible advancements on this?

I feel as if I might have made a mistake buying the Scarlet-W hoping that Foolcontrol would work reliably which it doesn't. Just did a shoot this week and used infrastructure mode and there was no noticeable difference; it drops out all the same. Works for one or two takes, then camera needs a re-boot in order for Foolcontrol to connect. Is anyone seeing this on other RED bodies?

I think the solution is spelled Nitrogen. The wifi in the cameras are simply not reliable, and can not be trusted in a production environment. I think the Red phone will take care of it. Most likely with its own transmitter module on camera for both picture and settings.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I think the solution is spelled Nitrogen. The wifi in the cameras are simply not reliable, and can not be trusted in a production environment. I think the Red phone will take care of it. Most likely with its own transmitter module on camera for both picture and settings.
    My thoughts exactly.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

I have not used Mikaels app - but have found it straightforward to reproduce Red camera wifi problems with both my App and Red's own test app.
    (The last video of 'breaking the Red Wifi using Reds App' I shared with Red mid-June 2017)

My hope is that all wifi issues can be resolved in Red Camera firmware.

What I could try and create an iOS tool (App) that reports when Red camera created (adhoc) wifi has run into an issue - and hope that this can help Red Zero in on the underlying issues.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    The problem isn't just the Red wifi... I have the same exact issue connected to a dedicated strong wifi signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    I have not used Mikaels app - but have found it straightforward to reproduce Red camera wifi problems with both my App and Red's own test app.
    (The last video of 'breaking the Red Wifi using Reds App' I shared with Red mid-June 2017)

My hope is that all wifi issues can be resolved in Red Camera firmware.

What I could try and create an iOS tool (App) that reports when Red camera created (adhoc) wifi has run into an issue - and hope that this can help Red Zero in on the underlying issues.

AJ
    I wish the problem was only there in Ad Hoc mode. It happens when connected to Wifi as well.