Thread: Motion Mount Update Makes It (pretty much useless)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Motion Mount Update Makes It (pretty much useless) 
    I can't find anything about it here that fully addresses this and I am wondering if anyone else has some questions.

The Red Motion Mount came out back in like 2013 or so

We got 2

With the updates it now restricts the shutter angle and the frame rate

When someone from my office called them they said they were having some "ghosting issues" and "rolling shutter issues" so they limited the functions (shutter and frame rate).

The specs on the site are incorrect now as well.

So, essentially, by limiting this functions, this kind of expensive mount is not really a good tool for anything but internal ND's (and even that not so much because of the limitations mentioned).

Has anyone else experienced this?

It seems letting the shooter choose the shutter and frame rate and assess their need makes more sense then creating limiters in the tool?
    Last edited by Marc Ruiz; 06-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Woven CF Weapon #00762
    Epic W #001624
    Scarlet Dragon #05113
    Phantom Miro
    Square & Round Front Lomo Anamorphics Sets
    Cooke Century Speed Panchros Set
    Clairmont Swing/Shift System
    Ultra Primes
    Zeiss CP.2 Set

Motion mount works well as internal ND as you mentioned, which is great for gimbal work.

Yeah the soft shutter basically doesn't work for epic-w, but I can get the square shutter to work without ghosting at 8k widescreen, 24fps, 1/50th of a second shutter and that's pretty usable to me. High contrast edges (like seven stops difference) still ghost though I think there's nothing you can do about that.

I can see the benefit for gimbal work and balancing

I never really experienced rolling shutter issues with a Red (maybe in part of my application or design of shot) but the main purpose of this tool for me was to mimic a film frames real shutter and have the ability to get a narrow shutter so kinda frustrated to have a tool that is pretty limited now. I did not experience the ghosting issues or the rolling shutter issues that were mentioned so I would have liked to have full control and decide the limiters for myself based on use and need.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Shavlik View Post
    Motion mount works well as internal ND as you mentioned, which is great for gimbal work.

Yeah the soft shutter basically doesn't work for epic-w, but I can get the square shutter to work without ghosting at 8k widescreen, 24fps, 1/50th of a second shutter and that's pretty usable to me. High contrast edges (like seven stops difference) still ghost though I think there's nothing you can do about that.
    Woven CF Weapon #00762
    Epic W #001624
    Scarlet Dragon #05113
    Phantom Miro
    Square & Round Front Lomo Anamorphics Sets
    Cooke Century Speed Panchros Set
    Clairmont Swing/Shift System
    Ultra Primes
    Zeiss CP.2 Set