Thread: Good Surf/Water Housing Unit for the DSCM 2 camera body + wide angle lens

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dave Kelly
    www.driftwoodcinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Finegan View Post
    depth rating?
    I pushed my SPL DSMC2 water housing to 10 meters (more or less 30ft deep), no issue but I wouldn't go further.
    It's not recommended for diving.
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by vincent kardasik View Post
    I pushed my SPL DSMC2 water housing to 10 meters (more or less 30ft deep), no issue but I wouldn't go further.
    It's not recommended for diving.
    Apologies if I'm pushing my housing too much, but it is a true dive housing as well (just add the included ballast weight) and is rated to 175 feet standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hipsley View Post
    I've got an option at Salty Surf Housings.
    http://saltysurfhousings.com/product/red-dsmc2-housing/

Priced around US$5500.
    Another thing to note about these dedicated surf housings is that design can be a bit cumbersome to reload mags and batteries since you have to completely remove the camera (and those screws take a bit of time)

Ours you simply open the backplate with the quick release clamps and reach in to swap battery and mag.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Apologies if I'm pushing my housing too much, but it is a true dive housing as well (just add the included ballast weight) and is rated to 175 feet standard.

Another thing to note about these dedicated surf housings is that design can be a bit cumbersome to reload mags and batteries since you have to completely remove the camera (and those screws take a bit of time)

Ours you simply open the backplate with the quick release clamps and reach in to swap battery and mag.
    www.Aquavideo.com web site does not show epic-w - maybe you already posted price and tech sheet for that? if not could you PM?

Hey Michael--how much does your housing weigh (with say, a 6" dome port)? Do you have photos of the rear quick release system you mention? Is there some kind of safety to keep them from opening when you're getting your ass kicked by a wave?
    andymaser.com

Whilst the wingnut system does take a little bit longer than quick-release clips, I definitely feel more confident that the housing is properly sealed and won't be accidentally opened when getting pounded in the water.

With my Salty setup you can even have one wingnut completely off and still maintain a solid seal on the main o-ring. Aka 'contingency'.

I can have the housing opened, new battery and/or mag installed, and closed again within a minute.

Although, there is no denying that the quick-release clips have their place, and some people will prefer them.
    Scarlet-W #9463
    Owner/Operator - SALTY SURF HOUSINGS
    saltysurfhousings.com