Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil Holland's PhilmColor Creative 3D Luts for IPP2

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Just some wishing. I really hope the Hydrogen shoots .R3D, and uses IPP2, or at least the option in post. Would be awesome to use your LUTs on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Just wanted to thank you guys for supporting philmColor. In the last month in particular I've been sent frames and trailers for stuff coming to Netflix, theaters, and a whole lot of commercials. Love seeing how you are putting these looks to good use.

The update is coming along nicely. Have a bunch of stuff "done", but a few more things I want to create. Should be released in September free to all those who purchased.
    CAN'T WAIT !!!!!

Hey Phil I notice that most of your LUTs are subtle to most. It would be great to see some other extreme group or file of LUT's. Maybe like some major motions pictures or commercial work.
    Im thinking Guardians of the Galaxy looks and projects with that extreme looks.?
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    Hey Phil I notice that most of your LUTs are subtle to most. It would be great to see some other extreme group or file of LUT's. Maybe like some major motions pictures or commercial work.
    Im thinking Guardians of the Galaxy looks and projects with that extreme looks.?
    I'm working on a few "bolder concepts". However, a great deal of GOTG and GOTGV.2's in particular look is due to judicious use of colored lighting on set and a lot of it. I can make you a look that will "tungsten-ize" your skin tones, but that might not work out for a lot of situations. But yeah, I'll yellow it up for a few things :)

General stuff:
    baseStocks = Generally stronger, bolder looks with a few subtle ones. Egret in particular comes to mind as subtle. Most are meant to not have tonal adjustments so they can work on every type of exposure, however, things like the bleach bypass emulations/looks obviously have those.
    ghostStocks = Essentially "color science". Subtle, but does interesting things like fixing green skin from weird lighting environments and various other aesthetic shifts. Zero luminance tonal stuff, but certainly chromatic tonal movements and adjustments.
    printModels = Anything beyond A is real flavored. These also have unique tone curves for various feels.
    tonalAdjusts = No color shift, but just tonal adjustments.

But just a tease. Perhaps too big of a tease:

I'm waiting for a whole bunch of film shot on multiple formats to come back from the lab. A whole bunch.

But in short, with the V2 update, yep some bolder looks and a heck of a lot of other things.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'm working on a few "bolder concepts". However, a great deal of GOTG and GOTGV.2's in particular look is due to judicious use of colored lighting on set and a lot of it. I can make you a look that will "tungsten-ize" your skin tones, but that might not work out for a lot of situations. But yeah, I'll yellow it up for a few things :)

General stuff:
    baseStocks = Generally stronger, bolder looks with a few subtle ones. Egret in particular comes to mind as subtle. Most are meant to not have tonal adjustments so they can work on every type of exposure, however, things like the bleach bypass emulations/looks obviously have those.
    ghostStocks = Essentially "color science". Subtle, but does interesting things like fixing green skin from weird lighting environments and various other aesthetic shifts. Zero luminance tonal stuff, but certainly chromatic tonal movements and adjustments.
    printModels = Anything beyond A is real flavored. These also have unique tone curves for various feels.
    tonalAdjusts = No color shift, but just tonal adjustments.

But just a tease. Perhaps too big of a tease:

I'm waiting for a whole bunch of film shot on multiple formats to come back from the lab. A whole bunch.

But in short, with the V2 update, yep some bolder looks and a heck of a lot of other things.
    when will we be able to see the footage???

I remember when I saw the post on Instagram I just thought you were doing a shootout between IMAX and RED or something, but now would a guess that you're creating IMAX-inspired baseStocks be far off? (I suppose we will see soon enough, but the tease seems to point that direction, which is exciting)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Veen View Post
    I remember when I saw the post on Instagram I just thought you were doing a shootout between IMAX and RED or something, but now would a guess that you're creating IMAX-inspired baseStocks be far off? (I suppose we will see soon enough, but the tease seems to point that direction, which is exciting)
    There's something else tied to shooting 70mm, but Vision 3 is Vision 3 if you catch my drift. Format doesn't change colorimetry per say. In the last calendar month I've shot on nearly every film format and on various stocks for...... reasons.

This is likely my last go around doing this sort of work, experimentation, testing, and research.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

but Vision 3 is Vision 3 if you catch my drift
    That right there would be worth the cost of entry into philmColor, IMO.

I'm using a concatenated Philmcolor/IPP2 Lut for monitoring on the new car film/doc I'm working on. Producers all super happy with what they are seeing.

The one suggestion I would make is to have a single sentence description for every lut. There's so much in there that it can take a while to find what you're after outside the main ones you describe in your pdf.

EG - 'shadows pushed to green. gamma lowered. highlights strong yellow'
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    I'm using a concatenated Philmcolor/IPP2 Lut for monitoring on the new car film/doc I'm working on. Producers all super happy with what they are seeing.

The one suggestion I would make is to have a single sentence description for every lut. There's so much in there that it can take a while to find what you're after outside the main ones you describe in your pdf.

EG - 'shadows pushed to green. gamma lowered. highlights strong yellow'
    Heh. Darn. Guess I'll have to add a few things and be less mysterious. Vision 2 pushed 1 stop, etc....

Glad you guys are liking these. I'll whack out some basic descriptions soon. Was thinking about making an app to load and preview stuff too. Might have to dish that off to another human if I'm too slammed.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon