Thread: Very Green images off Epic-W

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Very Green images off Epic-W 
    Can anyone shed some light on why the images of this Helium Sensor are so Green? No matter whether im in Dragon Colour 4 or the RWGRGB/L3G10 colour spaces i always need to to add 5 to 10 points of Magenta to make a white object white and not have a skintone looking sea sick.
    I know its a minor metadata adjustment, but SURELY with a generation 2 camera and colour science this shouldn't be a thing?
    Nino Tamburri

I can't speak on Helium, but on Dragon with STH OLPF, I always needed to adjust the Tint value to take out the green. And with LLO, I always adjust the Temperature to take out the orange.

Have you tried different OLPFs on Helium?
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

No I have not. But i would imagine the standard OLPF i have should be considered an all round balanced colour, so its surprising its so skewed to green tint.
    Nino Tamburri

This is something that has been around on some RED color science for a bit. From the looks of it, Graeme and the team are working on helping fix that on IPP2. For now, I go into my video gain and just pull down the green a tiny bit and everything looks great to me.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Senior Member Anthony Berenato Jr's Avatar
    While I'm sure there's still just a tad bit of tweaking to go in IPP2, I did want to mention a few things.

First, remember that sensors typically have twice as many green pixels as red and blue. This can always lean the footage a certain tint (as I found most of my RED cameras to drift this way). Also, both the coating on your lens and the lighting still have an effect on the image. For example, my old Rokinons always had a bit of green to them - same with my Tiffen Variable ND filter. LED lighting can sometimes shift either way, and we all know how modern fluorescent lights look even when they're white balanced.

If you're only running the latest stable build, you probably aren't getting any of the fixes made in the newest betas. I've also seen a good number of people find bugs in auto calibration / black shade - mentioning it produces green images over the Manual Calibration (sometime I know Graeme was looking into for the final v7 release). I can only imagine what things will be like once IPP2 is finalized.

Do you have any stills?
    Anthony Berenato Jr.
    Director / Cinematography Enthusiast
    Web: http://www.anthonyandcamera.com
    Reel: http://vimeo.com/89725163

Weapon Helium 8K #4844

Did you shoot a test chart and white balance it? Chances are the color of the lights you are using are not the same color as those used by Red when they tune the sensor. Typically companies have a white balance box with a reference light source. White balance is part of the debayer process, I believe, and is necessary to get an accurate starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Berenato Jr
    First, remember that sensors typically have twice as many green pixels as red and blue. This can always lean the footage a certain tint
    Yes, that have 2x the green pixels, that is true, but this should not have any impact on the color/tint of the image. Stranger things have happened though. :)

I have three ARRI LED lights (S30-C, L5-C and L7-C) and none of them match each other on the same color/tint setting. What is more interesting is that none of them match the color/tint setting when measured with a spectroradiometer.

With my lights, I need to set tint to around -8 to -10 on the Dragon sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nino Tamburri View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on why the images of this Helium Sensor are so Green? No matter whether im in Dragon Colour 4 or the RWGRGB/L3G10 colour spaces i always need to to add 5 to 10 points of Magenta to make a white object white and not have a skintone looking sea sick.
    I know its a minor metadata adjustment, but SURELY with a generation 2 camera and colour science this shouldn't be a thing?
    I couldn't agree more with Anthony here.

Auto Black-Shading gives a very awefull green cast. I never used it
    If you are using it...Try manual black shading and you should have a lot less of green.

Despite that, i notice that Helium sensor picks a lot more of greens cast than Dragon sensor did. At least in my own experience.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...mM?usp=sharing

heres some R3D's one is zeroed and the corrected one is eye-dropped on the white patch of the colour chart. There is no artificial lighting, just cloudy daylight coming through a door. The room paint is a bit warm but shouldnt effect the chart.
    This Green cast is quite typical in most of the images off this sensor. As stated a pretty easy fix but weird that is exists in the first place. Ps i did a manual blackshade at operating temperature as well.
    Nino Tamburri

Quote Originally Posted by Nino Tamburri View Post
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...mM?usp=sharing

heres some R3D's one is zeroed and the corrected one is eye-dropped on the white patch of the colour chart. There is no artificial lighting, just cloudy daylight coming through a door. The room paint is a bit warm but shouldnt effect the chart.
    This Green cast is quite typical in most of the images off this sensor. As stated a pretty easy fix but weird that is exists in the first place. Ps i did a manual blackshade at operating temperature as well.
    In my experience, is not that easy as correcting it with tint. Since it's not a green cast like the one you get from NDs, polarizer, etc.

As you can see in that .R3D , there's a lot more green cast from the midtones to the blacks than from the midtones to the whites
    So, if you try to correct it with Tint you usually get magenta in the whites before you get rid of the greens on the shadows.

I normally use curves or a LOG correction in DaVinci to fix it. You can target more accurately just the midtones to the blacks

Yeah, I really hope the green tint from Helium is calibrated out. The color characteristics are amazing once you work everything out in Resolve with more complex grading but I just wish that could be solved downright from the r3ds and the way the sensor information is interpreted. The Finnish Society of Cinematographers and MediaTrade (Finnish Red dealer) held a two day test with Epic-Ws and Weapon Heliums using Master Primes, Master Anamorphics and Zeiss LWZ 21-100mm, with different light sources including natural light. We had the presence of two consultants from Red Europe who came from London to oversee the tests and talk about the sensor, and their recommended starting point for the cameras was 5600k w/ -10 tint. I guess that suggests that they are aware of this color tendency and I hope they are looking into it. As it has been stated in this thread, it's more complicated than just WB tint adjustment. For example, in the underexposed clips from the test, all of the images went irremediably green. We used Standard and Skintone OLPFs for the tests. In my own testing and experience, manual or auto blackshading throw different results but none of them is neutral enough. In all the tests that I have seen online, Helium has had green tinted shadows and that's very noticeable when comparing to Dragon which is so much more neutral.
    AMULIO JOSÉ ESPINOSA
    http://www.fearlesspinecone.com
    HELSINKI, FINLAND
    http://www.amulio.com
    RED EPIC DRAGON "STINA" # 1788
    RED EPIC-W "SAGA" #4081