Thread: C200 vs EVA1

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I posted this over on the newsshooter article.

I'm keeping my C200 pre-order. I think it really comes down to whether or not you prioritize internal RAW or internal 10-bit 422 to a codec. Thing is Canon could have offered both and undercut the EVA1 and sold a LOT more C200s, but at the possible expense of selling C300-IIs. I guess Canon doesn't want to make a perfect camera; they want to make several cameras that fill different needs and sell to different segments. I'm sure you will be able to create great imagery with both, so for me it come down to features.

Panasonic has:

-10-bit 422 codec recording. For folks that need to meet broadcast specs this is huge; media costs next to nothing and a lot of folks will already have media laying around. For a lot of people this alone will be the deciding factor.
    -5.7k downscaled image. No footage yet, but it may yield a sharper image.
    -Removable IR filter. I'm actually not sure of the day to day use of this one.
    -Timecode in.

Canon has:

-Internal RAW recording up to 60p. For indie narrative filmmakers this is huge and for some (like me) this will be the deciding factor.
    -Best in class continuous tracking autofocus.
    -Built in EVF. If you want to add one to the Panasonic, that'll make it the more expensive camera.
    -Stronger ND filter options. 10 stops vs 6.

Looks like the two cameras, although very similar at a glance, are actually aimed at different shooter (with some overlap). If I were a documentarian, I'd probably lean towards the EVA because I'd almost never shoot RAW and would want to meet broadcast spec. I'm buying to shoot narrative, so the C200 seems to make more sense for me considering I'll be shooting RAW all the time. If I were an event shooter, the autofocus of the Canon would be hugely attractive (both seem light sensitive enough). It should also be noted that, with the exception of autofocus, both cameras can add the capabilities the other has; Panasonic will enable external RAW and you can add on an EVF, and Canon allows 10-bit 422 over HDMI and SDI. You can also add timecode to the Canon with a tentaclesync.

One thing's for sure: both cameras appear to be great, and it's an amazing time to buy a camera. I didn't even mention that Sony and Blackmagic both also have cameras that are in the same price range that have similar capabilities. I think we may be in a golden age for cinema cameras!

On paper, the EVA1 is the better camera with 4:2:2 10bit. On the Canon, unless you're shooting RAW, that 8-bit codec is terrible.

I love my FS7, and would recommend the FS7 Mk II over either of those. The image is great, the files are 10 bit but still manageable size. My FS7 has paid for itself many times over.
    David Kudell
    Video Producer/Director
    Rimrock Creative Media
    rimrockcreativemedia.com

I think the DPAF in the C200 is the major draw there. I tried the C200 over at Canon Burbank and the DPAF just blew me away. You can shoot at f1.4 on a gimbal and lock focus on your subject with total perfection. I shot a model with a 35mm lens at f2.8 and flew the camera behind a tripod and a big light to see if it would screw up. The DPAF picked the subject back up perfectly without hunting. If the DPAF wasn't on the C200 I wouldn't even think twice about. It does have 10 stops of ND, which is great, but the EVA1 really does destroy it on all other fronts. That being said, after using that DPAF, I want it. I love the shallow DOF look which is so hard to do without a dedicated focus puller and is even difficult with one when both the camera and subject is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbert van Weelderen View Post
    I went from the Sony FS5 to the Kinefinity TERRA6K and I have to say I'm not at all disappointed with the camera. My biggest pro for the Kinefinity is the in camera pro-res recording in all resolutions to the cheapest SSD option on the market.
    The fact that the EVA1 doesn't have a locking mount is something you have to take in account when you want to use bigger/heavier glass and remote focus motors. I rented a Canon DX1-II once and when using with cine-glass the mount was very shaky. Also the EVA1 is only 8-bit for 4K 60fps.
    The Kinefinity doesn't do 60fps at S35 without High-Speed mode and so it either needs High-Speed with pixel-binning or skipping or you need to crop the sensor which was fine for me personally.
    A locking lens mount is extremely important. I'm wondering if the C200 with have a locking mount option, as I know the C300 has that option.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kudell View Post
    On paper, the EVA1 is the better camera with 4:2:2 10bit. On the Canon, unless you're shooting RAW, that 8-bit codec is terrible.

I love my FS7, and would recommend the FS7 Mk II over either of those. The image is great, the files are 10 bit but still manageable size. My FS7 has paid for itself many times over.
    I would like to invest in a camera that is EF mount natively. I've had some issues while using a Metabones on an FS7. Not a fan of 3rd party adapters.

EVA1 does seem interesting, i havent thought about panasonic for about 12 years until this new series and canon was at the top for doc style shooting and the c300 really took off, but im ultra curious about this dual iso, how does that work exactly?

In my experience Canon has great ergonomics. I'm locked into that system by choice. For a multi-purpose owner/op jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none camera you can't beat a Canon. I also like the color in their cinema line a lot and that, unlike Sony, the color and gamma don't seem to straight up break the image half the time (the A7S II remains the low light king though!). Canon has DPAF and great lenses. I haven't used the C200 but friends with the C300 Mk II like it pretty well and I really like the C100 and C300 (less so the C500) but those are too long in the tooth to recommend to anyone today. I don't think Sony is as terrible as it used to be. I worked on a project shot on the F55 that just came out and which looks pretty good to me but to be fair it was graded by Technicolor. ;) The F65 has been and remains great.

The new Varicam has a nice image. Nice thick color. Feels similar to the Alexa but more saturated. Less soft and smooth. Really nice camera. Vibrant greens, nice skin tones. Rich, crisp image. I think the look might be better out of the box than the C300 Mk II's more digital look, possibly significantly better, but both seem technically on par with nothing broken like some of Sony's color spaces so they can be graded like-to-like.

Subjectively I also like the Alexa most. Just preference. That's the footage I want to work with and want to watch. But I work in post and so I want 1080p ProRes to work efficiently and my displays max out at 1080p so resolution isn't a big factor for me as much as color and DR. I also like the look and the grain texture. I do not like the ergonomics on the Mini one bit. Nice drone camera. Nice Ronin camera. Bad owner/operator camera. The Amira has its flaws but I like the Amira a lot. Not the price.

The BM 4.6 has a nice image but it has problems for jack-of-all-trade stuff. Noisier low light, less compact. But it's got a great image for sure.

I'd rent both and try both. I think they are both great choices. See what clients want, too. Clients seem to love the C300 and FS7.