Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: TIME AND DATE ISSUE...really?

Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    Me too.
    I bought a second hand scarlet dragon a few months ago and it also has this issue. It would be great if a new firmware could solve this problem because it seems absurd to spend $600 plus shipping to solve a obvious manufacturing problem.

It'd be handy if there was a way to at least monitor the internal batteries level of charge. I don't mind running the camera on AC to charge the battery, but it would be good to be able to know when I should.

I've got another issue that I believe may be related to this? My EPIC-W won't start for a while when its been sitting for a few days, until its plugged into AC power for a minute or two, and then it starts fine, and its happy the rest of the day being turns off and on again immediately. It definitely feels like a battery that is charging to some minimum voltage threshold. Anyone else seen this?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D'Amelia View Post
    I've got another issue that I believe may be related to this? My EPIC-W won't start for a while when its been sitting for a few days, until its plugged into AC power for a minute or two, and then it starts fine, and its happy the rest of the day being turns off and on again immediately. It definitely feels like a battery that is charging to some minimum voltage threshold. Anyone else seen this?
    My Weapon 6K didn't start when I attached the battery onto my WC Blueshape mount. The mount usually "clicks" internally a few times before the camera starts upp, but now it clicked a few times and then nothing. Charged the battery a bit and tried another battery and it worked, but I'm not sure if it's the camera or the battery plate doing this and no answers from Red.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

My c300 MK II allows me to swap out the lithium battery at the base of the camera, and is 1/3 of the price of the EW. This problem needs to be addressed immediately.
    Derek J Carlson - DOP

RED Epic-W "Murdock"
    Scarlet-X "Zuri"
    Sigma ART Series
    http://www.djamesvideography.com

The internal clock drifts so much you'd have to reset the time and date anyway after a prolonged lack of AC use, even if the internal battery didn't deplete to the point of resetting the date to 2010.

If it wouldn't fit in the current DSMC2 form-factor, I'd suggest RED incorporate clock/timecode circuitry from Ambient or one of the other high-end providers into one of the DSMC3 circuit boards. If possible, it could be made as a paid upgrade or internal module if it would be too expensive to incorporate into all the camera's.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    The internal clock drifts so much you'd have to reset the time and date anyway after a prolonged lack of AC use, even if the internal battery didn't deplete to the point of resetting the date to 2010.

If it wouldn't fit in the current DSMC2 form-factor, I'd suggest RED incorporate clock/timecode circuitry from Ambient or one of the other high-end providers into one of the DSMC3 circuit boards. If possible, it could be made as a paid upgrade or internal module if it would be too expensive to incorporate into all the camera's.
    Les, there is a difference between typical drift of TC and completely resetting itself with every battery change. One is acceptable, the other is not. And running your camera for 30 hours to get the battery charged back up is not a solution that any operator is likely to accept.
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

Count me in too as having an Epic-W affected by this.

It generally hasn't bothered me too much, though I'm aware of it. I prefer not to send it back to RED and incur loss of income from missed rentals or delayed projects. But if some sort of software tool can be developed to address this issue, I'm all ears.

This whole thing has stopped happening to me once I realized the camera has to be running to charge the internal battery, basically rather then turning on/off the camera I keep it running. Also when I'm on batteries, I just let it run on batteries longer which actually helps on the recharge cycle (so I fully cycle my batteries and don't worry abut keeping my camera powered down). Another thing that is a side thing that has helped, is I keep my camera temp setting fairly high now because I don't want the fan to get loud and/or change on a long take, so just doing things so my temp is not going up/down I keep the camera on longer with a steady temp.

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Of all the bugs we see in firmware why is there never one that stops the HOURS OF OPERATION feature?

Might make sense to change the hours of operation into hours recorded. It would help reduce the impact of the battery problem but still give re-sellers information on level of use . In some ways hours recorded is more useful than powered up info.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W