Thread: Ideal temperature ? 35C? 40C? 42C?

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RaphaŽl_FR View Post
    Thank you Patrick, I just made a test strangely, I have to set the fans to 46 so that the sensor is a 42.... And when it arrives at 42 and I put the fans at 42 it goes down to 39..
    It depends on the temperature of your location also. In my case (Scarlet MX, Eastern Europe autumn) those figures usually don't match. My sensor usually runs about 38-42 degrees indoors, while my brain set to 55 degrees. Outdoors it may be even lower - about 34 degrees, while the brain still runs 55.

So it seems that most people like between 42-44C. How long does it normally take to get your camera warmed up? Do you cover your fan so that you reach target temp faster? any tricks of the trade out there?

Hi, I think that if you close the fans so that the temperature rises faster you risk creating condensation somewhere. I imagine that RED has created a kind of mild temperature rise to avoid this condensation effect... I would like to know more about the sensor's cooling / heating system, if it works with a Peltier effect module like on the BMC cameras. By pure desire to understand the things that surround me haha

for me it's near impossible to keep it at 42c...
    if it's not 25c plus, it's so difficult.
    do you guys use heat pads or something to keep it warm?

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Sloth View Post
    for me it's near impossible to keep it at 42c...
    if it's not 25c plus, it's so difficult.
    do you guys use heat pads or something to keep it warm?
    I live in Arizona. :)

What I've learned over the last few months is that it all depends on where you're going to shoot. The highest setting you can go to on the target temp is 48 degrees. If you set your auto black shade at 44, then you'll have 4 degrees up and 4 degrees down. It will help your camera maintain a higher temp when the ambient temp is so high out there.
    Same goes for shooting in the cold. If you're shooting where its' cold, your camera should be black shaded at 4 degrees up from the lowest target temp. having multiple auto black shades will cover you for almost every temp you might encounter.
    www.jaysilverdp.com

www.villageblackout.com

"Don't be afraid of the dark."

During 'lockdown' I have tasked myself with understanding the compromises that calibrated SENSOR TEMPERATURE has on SENSOR NOISE. (My ultimate aim - to record sound without the 'whine' and 'white noise' of the Monstro's fans).

In my following test

+) I allowed the sensor to stabilise at 43,44,45 & 46c : black shaded at this 'calibration temp' : recorded a clip at the same temperature
    +) Then Cooled the sensor temp to 1 degree below the calibration temperature - started recording - manually set fan 20% and recorded a clip with the Temperature rising - noting down the exact points the sensor temp increased.
    +) clips then extracted into Resolve and all equally pushed to compare noise.

AJ
    Last edited by Antony Newman; 03-30-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Thoughts

+) When leaving the camera to STABILISE for 30 mins at a temperature : Calibrate : Record a clip - there was OFTEN MORE NOISE than when recording at a SENSOR temperature 1 degree higher.

+) At 1 deg C higher than the Calibrated temperature - the noise levels for 43,44,45 and 46 were all similarly low.

+) All tests where the SENSOR TEMP went BELOW the Calibrated temp caused an increase in noise (which remained at this same elevated level for a few degrees below the calibrated point)

AJ

(Current) ADAPTIVE Fan Control

Watching REDs adaptive FAN algorithm - they appeared to cater for this noise profile.

+) When the SENSOR TEMP falls below the CALIBRATED TEMP - there is a Very rapid drop in 10% increments to try and get the SENSOR TEMP back up.

+) When the SENSOR TEMP is above the CALIBRATED TEMP - there is no 'emergency response' - but a gradual decline - because when the SENSOR is at a higher temperature - noise is not a problem. (It also reminded of a JL comment made about the Monstro liking the heat).

A way to visuaise the SENSOR TEMP under adaptive is that it is 'more' like a the height of bouncing ball == it tends to spend more of its time at a HIGHER temperature than the CALIBRATED (floor) temperature.

CALIBRATING using ADAPTIVE temp

If you sent the camera to Adaptive Fan to 45c - and calibrate -
    the actually Calibration temp might wandering up to 45.9 degrees C - or even into the 46's

If you then use your camera (as in my testing) the SENSOR TEMP will swing above and BELOW the calibration temp (even on ADAPTIVE) by 0.5 - 1 deg C below the actually calibration temp - which would means increased Sensor noise.

AJ

Minimal Sensor Noise using current Firmware and Adaptive Setting

To minimise the ADAPTIVE algorithm dipping the SENSOR TEMPERATURE below the Calibration Temperature (and increase sensor noise) - Manually Set Fan to the HIGHEST fan Speed whilst still keeping the Sensor at the same SENSOR Temp.

Example : Fan % : Temp

43% : 44c
    44% : 43c
    45% : 43c
    46% : 43c
    47% : 43c
    48% : 42c

If CALIBRATED at 47% fan speed - and Recording with ADAPTIVE in the 43c range and the temp goes down by just a fraction of deg C, the algorithm responds by immediately to raising the sensor temp (and avoiding noise).
    This setting would MINIMISE sensor NOISE for a 43c Calibration

If CALIBRATED at 44% fan speed - and Recording with ADAPTIVE in the 43c range - all recording will be at or BELOW the CALIBRATED temperature.
    This setting would MAXIMISE Sensor NOISE for a 43c Calibration.

AJ