Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Press Release...

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Now that Leia is confirmed the modularity of the system makes a bunch more sense to me, as well as how it potentially connects with the professional user base of Red cameras.

In this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9namlza4U

The Leia guys talk about the future vision they have including sense motion and ultrasonic haptic feedback. i.e purely digital components with real world haptic feedback and depth sensing so you get to 'touch' and physically interact with holograms - no need for physical components.

This is the thing that makes me understand why Jim is so excited about this. Think about it, instead of having sliders in fool control - what if you had virtual dials that provided haptic response, so you could switch between buttons and switches and knobs that you view in 4 view holograms that had a haptic component all on one device, your phone. Rather than 5 - 10 accessories that you have to use and carry around, this opens up the possibility that your Helium acts as ALL those accessories by simply loading up the sort of interactive interface for your RED camera that you want. It's a dial that allows you to pull focus where you can set digital focus marks. Or it's haptic joystick for controlling your remote head and that you can walk around with you. Or it's a series of custom switches on your phone where you custom set your 5 most commonly used settings and you can visually see what you have them set to from any angle you can see your phone because of the four view hologram and with the right accessory you can also haptically feel and 'move' those switches without even touching the screen - so you can use it to pull focus, or be your camera controller, or whatever you need. Need a different custom setup - don't engineer a solution - simply program one.

These features aren't announced or likely to be included in the base model obviously - haptic feedback and motion touch sense though could simply be incorporated into a Helium Accessory at a later date.

The possibilities for this side of things (when you think about an app like Fool Control) I think is the real promise of the DSMC 2.0 and the Red System. We all know this is something RED and Jim are passionate about - just think back to the Redmote - a potentially brilliant production tool that they never really got fully working and whose functional issues this combo of technology (combined with the built in features of DSMC 2.0 wifi control) would not only solve - but also really stick to the mantra - obsolescence obsolete.

Now obviously there are a huge amount of other directions this product and technology could go - but as product line and offering in the RED ecosystem - doesn't this concept - a modular cellphone that can not only control your camera, but also display 3D holographic control buttons and dials that you can interact with via hover 'touch' over the screen and receive haptic feedback the sort of giant leap forward that would get a guy like Jim excited? Isn't it also a perfect offering to satisfy the massively varied needs of Redusers, and the sort of product that when Jim asks you to 'trust' him that you'll want, no matter what, that you know he's keeping his word?

Because let's be honest - we don't all want an expensive gimicky phone that can display four view holographs - and I have been scratching my head about why Jim would go this direction (or launch this as a RED product) if that was all he imagined Helium being. But if he's on board with what the Leia guys are imagining - this becomes a MUCH bigger deal than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post

This is the thing that makes me understand why Jim is so excited about this. Think about it, instead of having sliders in fool control - what if you had virtual dials that provided haptic response, so you could switch between buttons and switches and knobs that you view in 4 view holograms that had a haptic component all on one device, your phone. Rather than 5 - 10 accessories that you have to use and carry around, this opens up the possibility that your Helium acts as ALL those accessories by simply loading up the sort of interactive interface for your RED camera that you want. It's a dial that allows you to pull focus where you can set digital focus marks. Or it's haptic joystick for controlling your remote head and that you can walk around with you. Or it's a series of custom switches on your phone where you custom set your 5 most commonly used settings and you can visually see what you have them set to from any angle you can see your phone because of the four view hologram and with the right accessory you can also haptically feel and 'move' those switches without even touching the screen - so you can use it to pull focus, or be your camera controller, or whatever you need. Need a different custom setup - don't engineer a solution - simply program one.
    What would be amazingly useful to me for hydrogen view of dsmc2 is a display of the camera view, but a gio-scope depth map for the pixels. That way I could see the picture in the x-y plane, and the gio scope zones would be the "z" depth coming out of the hydrogen screen. ... also something like that for what is in and out of focus would be nice.

As I suspected.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

4. #44 HYDROGEN sub forum ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
    Now that Leia is confirmed the modularity of the system makes a bunch more sense to me, as well as how it potentially connects with the professional user base of Red cameras.

In this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9namlza4U

The Leia guys talk about the future vision they have including sense motion and ultrasonic haptic feedback. i.e purely digital components with real world haptic feedback and depth sensing so you get to 'touch' and physically interact with holograms - no need for physical components.

These features aren't announced or likely to be included in the base model obviously - haptic feedback and motion touch sense though could simply be incorporated into a Helium Accessory at a later date.

The possibilities for this side of things (when you think about an app like Fool Control) I think is the real promise of the DSMC 2.0 and the Red System. We all know this is something RED and Jim are passionate about - just think back to the Redmote - a potentially brilliant production tool that they never really got fully working and whose functional issues this combo of technology (combined with the built in features of DSMC 2.0 wifi control) would not only solve - but also really stick to the mantra - obsolescence obsolete.

Now obviously there are a huge amount of other directions this product and technology could go - but as product line and offering in the RED ecosystem - doesn't this concept - a modular cellphone that can not only control your camera, but also display 3D holographic control buttons and dials that you can interact with via hover 'touch' over the screen and receive haptic feedback the sort of giant leap forward that would get a guy like Jim excited? Isn't it also a perfect offering to satisfy the massively varied needs of Redusers, and the sort of product that when Jim asks you to 'trust' him that you'll want, no matter what, that you know he's keeping his word?

Because let's be honest - we don't all want an expensive gimicky phone that can display four view holographs - and I have been scratching my head about why Jim would go this direction (or launch this as a RED product) if that was all he imagined Helium being. But if he's on board with what the Leia guys are imagining - this becomes a MUCH bigger deal than that.

^^^^^^ This :-) kind of thing etc. etc. :-) (all good).

@Moderators/Moderator ---> Oh super sexy and talented and VERY patient moderators and Gods of RED.... Can HYDROGEN have its own sub-forum (Pretty please)?

I think folks are bringing up some really excellent and deep discussion points that are worth thrashing out but to do so would totally "Jack up" any normal announcement type threads from Jim Jannard/RECON/RED.

It's pretty clear that HYDROGEN + LEIA +RED = A hell of a lot of stuff (that folks are just starting to think about and get with). And... there seems to be a "Need" to think out loud about a lot of this stuff. + Development on HYDROGEN/LEIA etc.

So things that other REDUSER folks are bringing up like haptics or OLED displays versus LCD, or basic vision of LEIA or deeper computer interaction/interface design or just mobile device / phone issues/ arguments etc. etc. etc. Ad infinitum probably deserve their own threads... Not to mention the camera thingy/bit of the whole thing... I think you guys get what I mean? It's BIG.

So I think it would be super useful and terrific to have HYDROGEN related ecosystem/LEIA sub forum.

Thanks!

Eric
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sepaniak View Post
    I wonder if these guys have something to do with it:

https://www.leia3d.com
    Just a "lucky guess" back on July 7th.

6. #46 HYDROGENUSER? 
    Maybe there will be a separate user forum entirely for HYDROGEN and LEIA products and or HYDROGEN + LEIA products and systems?

It's one thing to sell thousands of digital cinematic products, but another entirely if you sell hundreds of thousands or eventually millions of HYDROGEN and LEIA based products that need support and on-line community support.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    Maybe there will be a separate user forum entirely for HYDROGEN and LEIA products and or HYDROGEN + LEIA products and systems?

It's one thing to sell thousands of digital cinematic products, but another entirely if you sell hundreds of thousands or eventually millions of HYDROGEN and LEIA based products that need support and on-line community support.
    Better yet... spin-off to a completely new forum... REDHydrogen.net. Eventually this is going to be a tool that appeals to a whole new class of content providers. Totally different beast than your run-of-the-mill REDuser, IMO.

Jim is just the animal tamer to promote the Hydrogen beast.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

I don't see it as a pro camera. People are excited over holograms as big leaps fowards, but I just see a normal cell phone camera wise so far, not as a pro camera. The fairyfloss is ruling the kids at the show, but what about the substance. Is the base phone going be a lot lot lot lot better than other camera phones, or is it going be a little better? Very strange everybody is so excited about 3D display on a pro camera forum rather than the camera functionality itself.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Wayne I am going to shoot you (figuratively / not literally)...

Did it escape your grasp that the separate module is HELIUM based?

Honestly I don't understand why you feel the need to de-value EVERY product offering that RED has ever rolled out... Just about as far as I can tell (And I have probably read more of your posts than anyone else on RED forum or for that matter on planet Earth). As far as I know you have not purchase one single RED item either? Not even a hat...

If JIM himself made you a camera, personally for Wayne that you could shoot directly into the sun (from space) and simultaneously record starlight from the faintest and most distant galaxies and had a 500 million photosite sensor, and the whole device had the form factor of a credit card and it cost $20. You would still endeavor to find a way to de-value that as being too expensive, or too big or not enough of something else... Like its doesn't use functional quantum computing from another dimension or something?

AND to top it all off you basically claim to have invented everything in the known universe of photonics and digital systems whether you have ever heard of it before or not. (Which is frankly really insulting to people that really do bust their arses and risk everything and put their arses on the line to bring and invent stuff that is REAL).

If someone did that on YOUR forum, wouldn't you find it a bit annoying/quite narcissistic + annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
    I don't see it as a pro camera. People are excited over holograms as big leaps fowards, but I just see a normal cell phone camera wise so far, not as a pro camera. The fairyfloss is ruling the kids at the show, but what about the substance. Is the base phone going be a lot lot lot lot better than other camera phones, or is it going be a little better? Very strange everybody is so excited about 3D display on a pro camera forum rather than the camera functionality itself.

Wayne I am going to shoot you (figuratively / not literally)...

Did it escape your grasp that the separate module is HELIUM based?

Honestly I don't understand why you feel the need to de-value EVERY product offering that RED has ever rolled out... Just about as far as I can tell (And I have probably read more of your posts than anyone else on RED forum or for that matter on planet Earth). As far as I know you have not purchase one single RED item either? Not even a hat...

If JIM himself made you a camera, personally for Wayne that you could shoot directly into the sun (from space) and simultaneously record starlight from the faintest and most distant galaxies and had a 500 million photosite sensor, and the whole device had the form factor of a credit card and it cost $20. You would still endeavor to find a way to de-value that as being too expensive, or too big or not enough of something else... Like its doesn't use functional quantum computing from another dimension or something?

AND to top it all off you basically claim to have invented everything in the known universe of photonics and digital systems whether you have ever heard of it before or not. (Which is frankly really insulting to people that really do bust their arses and risk everything and put their arses on the line to bring and invent stuff that is REAL).

If someone did that on YOUR forum, wouldn't you find it a bit annoying/quite narcissistic + annoying?