Thread: Owning a Red under 10k

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Michalak View Post
    Alex, great response thanks a ton!

My internal struggle right now is deciding on one of the cameras you just listed, I've found there is no perfect camera.

It's scary to think that I could buy a used MX that is 4 or 5 years old and it not be able to be repaired if something were to happen.

Ultimately, I'll need to do more research to see if I can find a suitable replacement for my Ursa mini.
    My suggestion would be to buy the cheapest RED you can find and shoot it like you stole it. Then get familiar with the post process and IPP2 in REDCINE X or Premiere when they have it etc.

There are some pretty prominent people on REDuser that you would be surprised to learn still shoot on the older model cameras. Depending on what you shoot, you should be able to pay off the el cheapo RED in a short time.

And in time, you can get the bells and whistles models... maybe as used when their owners move to even newer tech... maybe brand new depending on your success.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

For heavy use, an MX may be a riskier investment these days than someone who makes a movie or something only every now and then. I'm a narrative filmmaker, so I don't always have a cinema project going all the time so a RED One MX is a perfect high quality and low cost investment for me. If I were doing more consistent work that required a cinematic look with RAW, like commercials or music videos, then I would look at an Epic Dragon. Although, for practicality and price reasons I would go with another camera if that were the case and if Blackmagic wasn't an option, then the Panasonic EVA1 and Canon C200 would be high on the list along with a Sony FS700 or FS5 with a RAW recorder. To me, the Raven isn't worth it unless you can afford a starter RED that you could use at least for now and later upgrade the brain to something else. If I'm spending that much money then a camera with crop factor issues isn't something I would consider, it either needs to be S35 or FF. Still, RED has a great platform to invest in and, while it lasts from one camera generation to the next, it's great to have all of the accessories work across different brains in the line. Even though I have a RED One MX, most of the major accessories and cables I have will work if I get a DSMC1 camera and even a few things will work on DSMC2! That alone is worth a great deal in the long run. Hopefully that helps and, as it stands, the Epic Dragon may still be out of reach with a $10K budget but that, I think, will change very shortly with all the new options available not only from the competition but also RED's Weapon lineup.

EOL RED products are not well supported. Out of warranty RED products are not a wise choice, repairs are costly and misc parts are difficult to source. Go with something in the the current product line. RED generally has a good upgrade incentive program for the most current models and RED rewards current camera model owners.

As mentioned, RED is a great product platform., but do not ignore that RED is a for profit organization. Comfortable ownership of a RED camera ownership requires an appropriate amount of discretionary income. Although one can currently purchase a used camera under $10k, ibear in mind the camera wasnt originally intended to exist at that price point. Don't be discouraged shopping in the discount bin, just don't be mad or sad if you buy used and find yourself with your pants down by your ankles.

Terry, I'm in Springfield, Missouri.
    I ask because I have been contemplating the sale of my Scarlet Dragon (very low hours) plus some of the supporting DSMC1 accessories. Honestly, I haven't really scoped out the market prices or figured out the package yet, but thought we could talk. Was hoping you were closer but at least you are in the U.S.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

Great thoughts guys. You all definitely bring good points about buying some of the older generation red cameras. I think from what I'm seeing now, most of these kits are going anywhere from the 6500 to 10k range and it's hard to justify paying that much for a MX set up (fully rigged) when the camera itself is several years old, and many of the accessories are not supported or out of date. Perhaps when the scarlet MX gets closer to the 3,00 0 to 5,000 range it might be smarter buy then, that way if something were to break and not be supported, you're not out 10k like you would be now from some of the pricing I'm seeing on eBay.

Im in a very similar boat, had set aside for a Raven right before it was pulled and put into kit form for apple, have been looking used but very afraid of buying used

Look at a camera that fits your budget and needs, we ended up with 2 ursa mini pro's + 2 Sony A7S2's.
    Ursa mini pro is a lot better then Ursa Mini 4,6 k (we also looked at ursa mini 4k and 4,6k but we rejected them because of image quality, mainly chroma in the pixels, ir polution and fix pattern noise). We use the ursa mini pro's also for broadcast tasks.
    The A7S2 is used for low-light and as a B-Cam.
    For us the right RED's were (way) over budget (same is true for ARRI, Pana, Sony,...), Kinifinity might be a good option when you can get the right info and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Look at a camera that fits your budget and needs, we ended up with 2 ursa mini pro's + 2 Sony A7S2's.
    Ursa mini pro is a lot better then Ursa Mini 4,6 k (we also looked at ursa mini 4k and 4,6k but we rejected them because of image quality, mainly chroma in the pixels, ir polution and fix pattern noise). We use the ursa mini pro's also for broadcast tasks.
    The A7S2 is used for low-light and as a B-Cam.
    For us the right RED's were (way) over budget (same is true for ARRI, Pana, Sony,...), Kinifinity might be a good option when you can get the right info and service.

I actually just sold my ursa mini 4.6k (not the pro) and my main camera right now is the a7sii. I was an early blackmagic user. I started with the pocket camera and worked my way up to the 4k cinema camera (one of the most underrated cameras) and then jumped to the 4.6k. I had several issues with my 4.6k, it was unstable to me. Fortunately I was able to get a good price out of it still. I could not stand the horrible magenta cast it had (tint slider did not fix it) and it was annoying to add IR cut to every lens I used. I'm glad to hear the pro fixed most of these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Thompson View Post
    Im in a very similar boat, had set aside for a Raven right before it was pulled and put into kit form for apple, have been looking used but very afraid of buying used
    I'm not afraid of buying used as much as I'm upset about how the price of the raven sky rocketed after they re-released it. All the forms and YouTube videos talk about it being an affordable red around 6k and now it's not hardly possible to find the brain alone used for under 8k.

I actually just sold my ursa mini 4.6k (not the pro) and my main camera right now is the a7sii. I was an early blackmagic user. I started with the pocket camera and worked my way up to the 4k cinema camera (one of the most underrated cameras) and then jumped to the 4.6k. I had several issues with my 4.6k, it was unstable to me. Fortunately I was able to get a good price out of it still. I could not stand the horrible magenta cast it had (tint slider did not fix it) and it was annoying to add IR cut to every lens I used. I'm glad to hear the pro fixed most of these issues.
    Always rent first to test a camera.

Just rent the pro for a day end you will notice the big difference compared to the 4,6k and see if you like it or not.

Nearest competitor price wise on image quality is the RED Scarlet-W(better in low light).
    BMD UMP ready to run: body, canon mount, PL-mount,Nikon mount, B4 mount, shimes, view finder, bat. plate, shoulder rig, mic mount, SSD Recorder, battery ~ $ 10.000
    vs.
    RED Scarlet-W ready to run $ 20.000+ (best camera in my opinion for around $ 20.000).

Raven is canon mount only so for us no option.

Old Red's are very old compared to new RED's