Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: MONSTRO 8K VV

Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Will Monstro be tested by DXO Mark and if it comes in at a number under Helium, will the results be posted here?
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Thanks Phil for all the charts... thanks Brent... thanks Jarred... crazy stuff... all fun... we are way ahead of so many. Now on the field I realized it when people react: What, 8K, is that possible, Why, Wow, Amazing... I thought 4K was the biggest... Can I see?... Please tell me about it...

People really go crazy and 8k its been out for a while already... yet, they do go bananas when they see it in person... :)
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    RED Komodo

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Leica digital still cameras combat that with a bulbous microlens design, but there are tradeoffs for sure.
    And very thin filter stacks that have at times given problems with IR filtration and sensor durability, from what I've read. I wonder how much they'll end up giving up and rethinking the M designs. Hopefully that won't mean massive lenses like the SL.

Oh well, that's why I'm a Leica R guy instead of Leica M.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain M View Post
    What, 8K, is that possible
    The wild thought I had is this:

Not only is 8K possible, but RED is already on their THIRD iteration of 8K.

Nucking futs. I love this company.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    The former. The latter would have been a DRAGON-X sensor, ha.
    No need for a Dragon-X, but I would love to see a MONSTRO 6K. MONSTRO 8K is out of my budget...
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

with the sensor swap in effect, id love to see a 4k/6k VV Dargon-X sensor with super size photosites. I love everything about the new sensors but the option for extended dynamic range for stuff like drone and moving camera through high contrast lighting environments might be a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    @Les thanks so much for posting those beautiful pictures of the modified protruding elements. Very nice. It almost looks like they stuck a bung to cover the rear element and artfully took a float/file and then chamfered the edges by hand and then touched up with lamp black/shellac optical blacking compound! Awesome... (Get'er done), but nicely done...
    No worries Eric. Thanks for the lens info, some interesting stuff there.

Banned
    Any word on MONSTRO 6 K ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel View Post
    Feels a bit like a step backwards, no? Why not improve the tech and have 8k and above for everyone.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Feels a bit like a step backwards, no? Why not improve the tech and have 8k and above for everyone.
    I certainly wouldn't say backwards. If we're talking the same 6K resolution and format size, Monstro is cleaner than Dragon and that will indeed be a value for some.

Personally I wonder if this is actually going to be part of RED's sensor swap program at some point for Weapon owners. Hard to tell.

Monstro for many is the upgrade path to 8K VV if you're looking to explore that format and that's what RED's focus is. Once I get to spend more than 5 minutes with it, I'm going to be looking real close at 5K, 6K, etc... on Monstro.

Something occurred to me after Peter and I did our test that I totally should have fired some frames off at, but I am really curious about 5K 2:1 Monstro footage actually though many would never use that thick of a compression on projects.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon