Thread: Phil's First Monstro Thoughts

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Phil,

Thanks for letting me know and for taking the time to respond! I know you must be pretty busy right now ,I really appreciate it!

I like the way Helium's colors look, it seems to have a deeper depth of field due to it being s35+ and dragon and monstro being vista vision.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Here's an interesting side by side:

For the past few years, I've been really sensitive to makeup issues with digital sensors in general and RED sensors in particular, because I'm an owner. I'm not going to draw any conclusions based on one picture but I hope what I'm seeing in the Monstro example is indicative of what we can expect across the board.

For some reason, certain yellowish makeups render poorly under certain conditions. Unevenly applied makeup just exacerbates the problem. While all three images look fine at first glance, the yellowness of the makeup is very apparent to me in the Dragon image.

Helium, while perhaps a little too red, is an improvement. But, Monstro is striking a really nice balance and makes her look more natural, fresh-faced and three dimensional - like we're seeing more of her skin instead of the makeup covering it.

There's an area on the bridge of her nose that doesn't seem to have quite the makeup coverage as other areas of her face and shows the more pinkish tone of her skin. It's most apparent on Dragon. The Helium image is more red overall, so it does a pretty good job of mitigating the yellow of the makeup and balancing with the pink of her nose.

The Monstro image has the most natural looking transition and blends the nicest out of the three to me. Like I said, I hope this is a definite trait.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

www.harbonder.com

Strand on Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    For the past few years, I've been really sensitive to makeup issues with digital sensors in general and RED sensors in particular, because I'm an owner. I'm not going to draw any conclusions based on one picture but I hope what I'm seeing in the Monstro example is indicative of what we can expect across the board.

For some reason, certain yellowish makeups render poorly under certain conditions. Unevenly applied makeup just exacerbates the problem. While all three images look fine at first glance, the yellowness of the makeup is very apparent to me in the Dragon image.

Helium, while perhaps a little too red, is an improvement. But, Monstro is striking a really nice balance and makes her look more natural, fresh-faced and three dimensional - like we're seeing more of her skin instead of the makeup covering it.

There's an area on the bridge of her nose that doesn't seem to have quite the makeup coverage as other areas of her face and shows the more pinkish tone of her skin. It's most apparent on Dragon. The Helium image is more red overall, so it does a pretty good job of mitigating the yellow of the makeup and balancing with the pink of her nose.

The Monstro image has the most natural looking transition and blends the nicest out of the three to me. Like I said, I hope this is a definite trait.
    For me it's the neck. Noticed that the shadow side of the neck shows more detail in the shadow and the neck in general just looks like natural skin... but then, I try to not use make-up.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Are there any Monstro R3D's posted anywhere on the interweb?
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Are there any Monstro R3D's posted anywhere on the interweb?
    I'll post some soon, but until then:

http://www.red.com/sample-r3d-files

Top two.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

love the guy on the bike scene best. Quick grades

[IMG]a_1.1.2 by rand thompson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]b_1.1.3 by rand thompson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]c_1.1.4 by rand thompson, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.

I'll delete the grades if they shouldn't have been posted ,sorry.

Fun with biker dude

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Zeb,

I like the sky in yours.

8K to 16mm ;-)

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace