Thread: Aputure COB 300D

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
  1. #11  
    Moderator Phil Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    To be honest I have become increasingly suspicious of the tons of previously online reviewers who haven't really touched on the green fringing issues users were having. Aputure seems to have made a lot of friends recently. Especially in the 'celebrity filmmaking blogs' community.
    Are you saying you don't like the self produced reviews now on FB? :)

    I bought one. It's a hell of a lot of output, decent overall light quality. There is some color fringing to the edge of a non diffused light. I am a bit surprised by the sound from the ballast and yes the solution is to drown it out, blimp it, or keep it further away.

    For a the price, it's a good deal.

    I'm doing some tests right now with various brands (Fiilex, Litepanels, Aputure, etc....) to kit up several new lighting units for 2018 productions. While far from the price point of a single Aputure unit, the prototype Litepanels Gemini has oddly (normally not a huge fan of softer panels) become a quick favorite. It's in the lead in terms of the "best overall quality of light" and I mean that on a color level, which is largely due to the RGBWW inside it.

    The Fiilex Q1000 more directly goes up against the Aputure 300D in some ways as a point source. I'll be doing those side by sides this week.

    Back to the Aputure, it's not perfect, but I think the value is there for the price. If you diffuse it or modify it you'll handle the edge weirdness pretty easily. I've spent much more on lights that exhibit this worse sadly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles
    ________________________________
    phfx.com IMDB
    PHFX | tools

    2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

    Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Bob Gundu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    10,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    To be honest I have become increasingly suspicious of the tons of previously online reviewers who haven't really touched on the green fringing issues users were having. Aputure seems to have made a lot of friends recently. Especially in the 'celebrity filmmaking blogs' community.
    The Newshooter review addresses the green fringe and its the most comprehensive review so far.
    ___________________________

    VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Ben Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,345
    Cool will check it out Bob. In fairness Newshooter are a bit more old school and critical than the rest. Something to be commended.

    I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 300D because I love the bowens mount and have the accessories already, or the Rayzr 7 300w Fresnel which I assume has a not dissimilar output but has had great reviews from users I've asked.
    ----------------------------------------------------------


    2018 Reel

    Website
    Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Moderator Phil Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    Cool will check it out Bob. In fairness Newshooter are a bit more old school and critical than the rest. Something to be commended.

    I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 300D because I love the bowens mount and have the accessories already, or the Rayzr 7 300w Fresnel which I assume has a not dissimilar output but has had great reviews from users I've asked.
    When you try it out experiment with the 300D. There is a small diffusion dome that is in front of the COB LED that provides a different type of light source, combined with the fresnel attachment you'll have something rather similar to the Rayzr 7 300w in a different form factor.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles
    ________________________________
    phfx.com IMDB
    PHFX | tools

    2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

    Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member Ryan Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Globe Trottin'
    Posts
    300
    For me, personally, there are still more pros for the 300D than the other alternatives. While I understand that the green edge can be scary, seeing the light tests from a unit put my mind at ease. Also, there is the chance that you will get a unit that isn't affected. Not everyone was affected by the production issue. I also like that Aputure has acknowledged the issue and is standing by their products, and have promised to make things right with those who are having issues. Granted it would be better not to have an issue in the first place, but since I have two 120Ds that have no issue, I'm willing to give them some leeway and a chance to prove themselves as a top notch company. The 300D is still on my list, and I look forward to using it.

    If any of you own a 300D and are scared of the green edge, msg me and let's see if we can't get it a new home. ;)
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    Official Site // Facebook // IMDB

    RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"
    ________________________________

    "Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member Ben Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    When you try it out experiment with the 300D. There is a small diffusion dome that is in front of the COB LED that provides a different type of light source, combined with the fresnel attachment you'll have something rather similar to the Rayzr 7 300w in a different form factor.
    Yep will do. I have their fresnel, light dome and 'space light' so will most likely get one anyway even if it needs some correction.
    ----------------------------------------------------------


    2018 Reel

    Website
    Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Ben Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    For me, personally, there are still more pros for the 300D than the other alternatives. While I understand that the green edge can be scary, seeing the light tests from a unit put my mind at ease. Also, there is the chance that you will get a unit that isn't affected. Not everyone was affected by the production issue. I also like that Aputure has acknowledged the issue and is standing by their products, and have promised to make things right with those who are having issues. Granted it would be better not to have an issue in the first place, but since I have two 120Ds that have no issue, I'm willing to give them some leeway and a chance to prove themselves as a top notch company. The 300D is still on my list, and I look forward to using it.

    If any of you own a 300D and are scared of the green edge, msg me and let's see if we can't get it a new home. ;)
    A valid point, and my 120D has been rock solid too. However, and I'm not saying this is true of you, but a lot of people online saying there is no issue are using the light in isolation and not alongside other more correct temp lights. If a light gel can nudge it towards a non tinted 5600k then it is still a great proposition.
    ----------------------------------------------------------


    2018 Reel

    Website
    Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member Ryan Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Globe Trottin'
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    A valid point, and my 120D has been rock solid too. However, and I'm not saying this is true of you, but a lot of people online saying there is no issue are using the light in isolation and not alongside other more correct temp lights. If a light gel can nudge it towards a non tinted 5600k then it is still a great proposition.
    Yep, def. agree with you there mate. You won't even need a gel after they fix it. :) But that could be a few months.
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    Official Site // Facebook // IMDB

    RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"
    ________________________________

    "Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    300
    I just saw a post on the facebook group by Gasa E Kenny. (Blackmagic Ursa Mini & Ursa Mini Pro Users)
    "
    aputure 300d vs PixaPro 200D using URSA Mini Pro False Colour.
    Lens Sigma 18-35 at f8
    The lights were placed next to each other with the 300d Being on the left and 200D on the right.
    300d 1074 vs 200D 1,399.99 and you get 3 of them comes with 3 light stands, Barn doors too."

    The light output seems almost exactly the same, only the 200D is a lot cheaper. (not sure what controls/v-mounts/bowens mount/options it has). But just for the light output, it seems a good cheap alternative?

    Cheers
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    Cool will check it out Bob. In fairness Newshooter are a bit more old school and critical than the rest. Something to be commended.

    I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 300D because I love the bowens mount and have the accessories already, or the Rayzr 7 300w Fresnel which I assume has a not dissimilar output but has had great reviews from users I've asked.
    What kicks my ass about the Aputure Lights is the color variation between the models...there is little consistency and while a few hundred degrees is not a big deal some are close to 1500-2000 differences. I have not seen that from Wescott or Fliilex and that bump in price is worth it to me if I can avoid color cast or extra time making shots match in post.

    The Rayzr 7 300 has quite a bit more punch and output at 3 meters than the Aputure 300d without having to add the fresnel attachment and dealing with the spill that this attachment produces. Also, setting up the Rayzr 7 is as simple as putting it on a stand and having a single cord to plug in, no need to hassle with the power blast and then the actual switch. But the cord that comes with the Rayzr 7 is super small so you will have to provide a stinger.
    Carlos Quintero
    Director & Cinematographer
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts