Thread: Speed Booster OLPF Caddy / 3D Print

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty funny that Kinefinity has been doing this out of the gate with their Terra line for like ~$700 (that's the lens mount *with* reducer... regular mounts are only $200 cheaper). I kinda knew RED dropped the ball on this when they didn't make their mount depth a lot shallower with DSMC2 (and then just use spacers/shims to make DSMC2 mount backwards compatible with DSMC1 lens mounts). Even Sony brilliantly includes an E-mount (18mm flange distance) *behind* their PL/EF mounts on the Venice... Would not be surprised if they gonna drop a MF-to-FF35 reducer...

Aw well, at least there are guys like James and ABT making these mounts happen (though I do like the relative inexpensiveness of James' solution)...

Hey James, have you tried using The Reducer with an un-modded RED Montro/VV EF mount?
    I think the above olpf 3d print is not compatible with VV as it has different olof´s, no? But in theory it should be easer as the cavity is bigger.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Duclos has a speedbooster mount coming out for RED that apparently can even speedboost Medium Format to FF Vista, which would be great and open up a lot of creative possibilities.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I think the above olpf 3d print is not compatible with VV as it has different olof´s, no? But in theory it should be easer as the cavity is bigger.
    Sorry, I just meant the VV EF Mount only (on a regular Weapon/Epic-W/Scarlet-W/Non-VV DSMC2 camera using The REDucer). It definitely has a bigger gate/opening, I just don't know if it's big enough to fit around The Reducer without modding (or if the VV EF mount is actually compatible with non-VV/non-Monstro cameras).

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Duclos has a speedbooster mount coming out for RED that apparently can even speedboost Medium Format to FF Vista, which would be great and open up a lot of creative possibilities.
    No doubt the Duclos solution will be the most fully-featured/compatible/ideal, but something tells me it'll be prohibitively expensive for most users (being that it's not using off-the-shelf parts like other solutions). No doubt rental houses will opt for the Duclos one, but the average owner/ops will probably flock to something like James's REDucer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Sure, but to me that kind of defeats the purpose. Sure there are nice Medium format lenses out there. Many that people will probably want to use. But VV is within the FF projection circle so no real need to to bring in bigger format glas and then scale them down.

As no matter what you will not get faster lens or "better" picture that way compared to using a good 35mm lens. But sure you get a "different" looking picture.
    Björn Benckert

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller 72 View Post
    Not sure where your getting the plastic mount from? early prototypes on the Epic used plastic mounts as shown in the pics but this is a OLPF caddy and you use your existing red mount, Ideally the VV mount. So no mount needed.
    what's the OLPF caddy made from? (I guess all the OLPFs are made from plastic?

wouldn't taking the OLPF out cause a lot of issues?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    what's the OLPF caddy made from? (I guess all the OLPFs are made from plastic?

wouldn't taking the OLPF out cause a lot of issues?
    From looking at the pix the caddy is 3d printed plastic and holds the glas from the olof and the element from the speedboster.
    Björn Benckert

yeah, re-looking i see how he has removed the OLPF and placed it behind the speedbooster glass... do wonder what the distance from the e-mount to sensor is on a Sony Camera and if it's the same

I know with a normal Ultra Speedbooster e-EF mount there is micro adjustments that can be made to ensure backfocus...

this could have been Red(Jarred) masterplan in designing removable OLPFs(...heh)
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    I like the simplicity of the approach, but there's one big issue: I doubt that the sensor can be moved 4.2mm forward to compensate the reduction of the focal flange due to the SpeedBooster.
    Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post
    I like the simplicity of the approach, but there's one big issue: I doubt that the sensor can be moved 4.2mm forward to compensate the reduction of the focal flange due to the SpeedBooster.
    I had one goal from the start. I wanted to use every EF lens I own and achieve infinity focus. The sensor is moved all the way forward and the caddy utilises the exact distance in front of the fixed OLPF to achieve that together with the fact I no longer wanted to use the shorter lens mount I made last year. I wanted to use the electronic native Red lens mount as I do now.

I have been using that setup on every job I use my Red on. Only difference now is instead of a modified Red OLPF caddy I use a simple 3D printed version. I'm happy with what I have and frankly I don't need another solution. If someone can find that useful then great, I always share my camera tweaks.

well done james this is great!
    SCARLET-W
    DocuMovie UK LONDON