Thread: Speed Booster OLPF Caddy / 3D Print

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suresh Kara View Post
    well done james this is great!
    Cheers fella. Hope your well, been way too long!

In an early post in this thread you mention grinding down a front element. I assume this was the upper and lower edges of the front element of the speedbooster group. Was this necessary to achieve clearance within the DSMC1 throat?

There also seems to be a vertical offset of the optical centre relative to the rectangular shape of the caddy you built. Was this driven by need to clear electrical conductors or other parts within the DSMC1 throat?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    In an early post in this thread you mention grinding down a front element. I assume this was the upper and lower edges of the front element of the speedbooster group. Was this necessary to achieve clearance within the DSMC1 throat?

There also seems to be a vertical offset of the optical centre relative to the rectangular shape of the caddy you built. Was this driven by need to clear electrical conductors or other parts within the DSMC1 throat?
    Yes the upper and lower edge and yes to initially clear the mount before I removed and material. But the nice side effect for me was that it produced some lovely effects. I prefer this version over that clean perfect lens version.

Yes it is offset, I was trying to get the caddy to sit centre when you apply the lock. But it the element needs moving up 0.765mm I have a larger aperture on the OLPF relief to allow movement next to the fixed portion of the internal glass as it seats in the camera body. I was a bit on the safe side but its re centred closer now.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 15.11.51.jpg

I have a lot of respect for your taking on a computer program and 3D printer. I did have a try at TurboCAD 5 a long time ago but found I was quicker designing and drawing by hand and turning adaptors from metal. Prompted by yours and the other experiments with RED cams and speedboosters, I have tried the same with the Blackmagic "big" URSA which has plenty of real estate in the camera throat to add things. The Mini versions are more confined and the Mini Pro has two ND filter wheels so it is not an option for that one.

One thing you might like to try if you can get hold of thin filter material, is a 1/8 contrast filter in the camera throat. There was not a dramatic change with the SI2K camera that I tried it on. It had the effect of altering the flange to focal plane distance adversely so I did not persevere with it. The look was subjectively nicer to my eye but in the real world, it may well be not worth doing. Formatt Hitech may be able to sell you an unfinished 1.5mm-2mm approx. thick filter panel as a special order and might laser cut it for you, which has much less risk of scratching the surfaces.

There may already be a special OLPF accessory for the RED camera family which includes a contrast filter so there may not be any point trying.
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 11-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.

This is awesome.

Side question: does anyone know if there would be harm is getting the VV Canon mount if we only have a S-35 camera (Weapon Mg 6K here).

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    This is awesome.

Side question: does anyone know if there would be harm is getting the VV Canon mount if we only have a S-35 camera (Weapon Mg 6K here).
    Im very curious about this also. If the vv canon mount is compatible with all the other dsmc and dsmc2 cameras that would be great for this project.

This is awesome.

I wouldn't think there would be issue with you buying a VV Canon mount from RED. They might have a limited amount right now and only sell them to VV FF camera owners until they get the orders out that have been waiting for their VV Monstro sensors... Check with your Bomb Squad rep.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    There may already be a special OLPF accessory for the RED camera family which includes a contrast filter so there may not be any point trying.
    There is indeed at kippertie.com - we've been making a variety of speciality OLPFs for a good while now :)
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    I wouldn't think there would be issue with you buying a VV Canon mount from RED. They might have a limited amount right now and only sell them to VV FF camera owners until they get the orders out that have been waiting for their VV Monstro sensors... Check with your Bomb Squad rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurcan Yilmazer View Post
    Im very curious about this also. If the vv canon mount is compatible with all the other dsmc and dsmc2 cameras that would be great for this project.
    My rep just told me they're in-stock, but won't be compatible with our S35 sensor cameras because of the spacing of the mount?

My rep just told me they're in-stock, but won't be compatible with our S35 sensor cameras because of the spacing of the mount?

Don't mean to poo-poo on that theory, but given that the sensors on cameras is about to become swappable (between s35 and VV sensors), they better be compatible or that's some serious oversight/design-flaw happening.

Certainly there are a bunch of RED users that have both cameras and could quickly test it out. Also, the ABT one uses the VV mount AND VV OLPFs for compatibility, so I'm thinking/hoping the rep is just confused.