Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Release of DaVinci Resolve 14.1

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Ugh. I'm not going to bother downloading 14.1. I'm stunned that BMD could get this so wrong, especially given the lucid explanation by RED about how the IPP2 pipeline actually functions.
    I mean, I'd say still download it for all the bug fixes. And you're getting the new demosaic as well as the highlight extension algorithm. And you can always go back to the "legacy" half-assed IPP2 implementation of color science "Version 2."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Thanks Aaron

I completly understand why Red has specified the order of operations as it has BUT I do have sympathy with BM not having that implementation.

Log3G10 and REDWideGamutRGB are so BIG that some of the Davinci toolset does not function as you would expect with a Log3g10 input.. for example what constitutes the transistion between a highlight, midtone and shadow is diffferent depneding on the container.
    I guess what we'll have to do is the Juan Melara method: https://youtu.be/8qJ7i9b28Lo

[OFX Plugin from RWG to Rec709] --> [do grading here with primaries wheels] --> [OFX Plugin back to RWG] --> [RED LUT with rolloffs and tone curve built in]

Appears to work okay. The OFX plugin doesn't provide the same output that the LUT does, so it can't be used at the end of the chain for final delivery (I mean, it could if you prefer it's look), but it at least can get us in a rec709 "area" for the primaries wheels, and then you can convert back to RWG and then finish it off with the RED provided LUT.
    a.k.a. Lochness Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Appears to work okay. The OFX plugin doesn't provide the same output that the LUT does, so it can't be used at the end of the chain for final delivery (I mean, it could if you prefer it's look), but it at least can get us in a rec709 "area" for the primaries wheels, and then you can convert back to RWG and then finish it off with the RED provided LUT.
    There are several different ways of getting Log footage into a pseudo-Rec709 area that is capable of working with normal LGG tools. We've basically been doing this from film for 40 years now. It's not that complicated, but Juan's method is terrific because it provides yet another approach.

What works for me is just to use normal Red color science (now IPP2) as a "front end" to the signal, then use two nodes: one to alter the gamma and one to alter the color balance. I do use some minor tweaks in the Raw panel on a scene-by-scene (but rarely shot-by-shot) basis just to keep on top of ISO and Exposure. Once that's done, I use a series of nodes to color-correct the picture as needed. Understanding Node Order of Operations is critical, particularly with keys and secondaries. But I rarely use LUTs unless the client demands it, and even when they initially ask for it, it's generally possible (given enough time) to reverse-engineer the LUT and duplicate its effects with the controls already in Resolve.

I would point to the DSC charts as being one way to see what the LUTs and/or color-space conversion tools are doing. A 14-step grayscale chart is helpful, and a color chip chart with known values (like the DSC One Shot) can also work very well. This does not have to be that involved or time-consuming.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

What a terrible upgrade! On High Sierra Beta all of the R3D stop working, and the only way to get any picture is to set GPU to Metal yeap taht does prosess r3d very fast. IPP2 totally screwed up from the way it was intened as a super non confusing robust workflow. Personally downgrading as I type. Wait for a little bit guys before jumping to this latest release.
    Nikolai Pigarev

MX, EPIC, WEAPON, HELIUM, MoVi, Qtake - all the toys in Moscow, Russia

nikolaipigarev (AT) me (DOT) com

I can't even downgrade.I deleted 14.1 and reinstalled 14.01 but my computer says its an incompatible program.It worked perfectly before I installed 14.1

The only minor problem I've had so far with 14.1 was having to set each clip to 'Color Science : Version 3' in the 'Camera RAW' section of the Color work-space in order to get the clips (shot using IPP2) to show in the viewer instead of a black space.

Not even sure that classifies as a bug if it's just a matter of using a new setting that wasn't there before.

Edit - And Output Tone Map and Highlight Roll Off functionality isn't working. So yeah, I guess there's more work to be done...
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 11-14-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Edit - And Output Tone Map and Highlight Roll Off functionality isn't working. So yeah, I guess there's more work to be done...
    Is your clip set to Rec709/Rec2020 or RWG/Log3g10?

RWG/Log3G10 is just the container, the tone mapping is part of the output transform. So if you're not processing your clip to a display format like Rec709 or Rec2020, there's nothing to tone map to.
    a.k.a. Lochness Digital

Need to mention - they have limited the multi-gpu setup support in Lite version. On 14.0.1 Lite it was using both of my cards, but on 14.1 the software use is limited to only one card. This doesn't happen with dongle/studio on same 14.1 release though.

I download every version, explore it and am fascinated with the color and the possibilities... then I realize that if I don't do proxies, the damn thing crawls at 5k.
    Scarlet-W

Rikki Rockett
    Slave To The Rhythm Productions, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
    I download every version, explore it and am fascinated with the color and the possibilities... then I realize that if I don't do proxies, the damn thing crawls at 5k.
    Throw enough money and hardware at it, it'll run like a bat out of hell. (This is also true for every piece of software ever made.)
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

We upgraded to 14.01 on a Win7 machine and it works really well.. now there has been some suggestions that 14.1 is different and doens't work as well with Win7...

so my question:

Is anyone successfully running 14.1 running on a Win7 ?

thank you
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram