Thread: LTO Backup and Archive Software

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 LTO Backup and Archive Software 
    We are currently using Tollis Group BRU for archiving and backing up our data.
    We have a large Stornext SAN about 700TB and regularly backup the entire contents as well as archive our projects individually.

BRU support is not what it used to be, and incremental backups dont seem to be working as promised...so we are looking for alternative solutions.

Any recommendations?

www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but a question in relation to LTO, are there any cheaper models of LTO machines and tapes? I have a lot of drives as an independent contractor so I would really like to transfer all to LTO instead and reuse my drives.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Links
    Epic Dragon & Canon CN-E street test
    Red Epic - Noise Reduction Test - Stockholm 2014
    Red Epic - Stockholm HDRx Test

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but a question in relation to LTO, are there any cheaper models of LTO machines and tapes? I have a lot of drives as an independent contractor so I would really like to transfer all to LTO instead and reuse my drives.
    yup, you can pick up LTO5 drives cheap off ebay and the tapes are about $20 ea for 1.5TB (don't believe the 3Tb compressed nonsense if you're backing up video, it doesn't compress at all).
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com

You need something a bit more enterprise. Check out both Archiware P5 and Bacula.

Christopher, don't write off blu-ray for archive..... https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/products/...l-disc-archive

REDuser Sponsor
    Greg - I also recommend Archiware for backup software if you want to go with TAR, if you want to use an LTFS tape NAS we can do that too. I'm a vendor neutral tape library vendor so contact me if you'd like me to spec out some tape solutions to meet your exact needs.

Chris - I sell new and used tape drives / libraries. Contact me to see what we can size out for you.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

REDuser Sponsor
    Greg - I also recommend Archiware for backup software if you want to go with TAR, if you want to use an LTFS tape NAS we can do that too. I'm a vendor neutral tape library vendor so contact me if you'd like me to spec out some tape solutions to meet your exact needs.

Christoffer - I sell new and used tape drives / libraries. Contact me to see what we can size out for you.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com