Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364 LastLast
    Did a lot of new work with the APO Hyperprimes.

Studiowork with Crane, slider, tripod and gimbal.
    For the widest shots i used a cooke 16mm which mathced perfectly.

mostly the interview parts are shot with the APOs and some gimbal car shots.

everything was shot with the APOs

everything was shot with the APOs, not the best shots. But just had 5 hours with the kids.

almost all the car shots are with the APOs. The Interviews are shot with a Canon 17-120 and a blackmagic pocket 4k with a canon 70-200.

Hey. So I have the 25, 32, 50, 85 and these have been great lenses so far, but I'm weary now if this set is ever gonna get finished with the way SLR Magic has been releasing their new products. Ive been using the 11-20 Tokina Cine (as recommended in this thread) for the short end and I find it pairs great.

Curious what everyones thoughts have been to get a great matching lens on the long end (100 or 135mm range)?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by darren scott View Post
    Honestly though after watching that vid those lenses don't look as good as the Hyperprimes to my eyes. I can't put my finger on it as to why though. However It could be the camera he was using it on...the Z cam... which whats affecting that. Need more test vids on other camera bodies to compare.
    The APO Microprimes and the APO lenses are exactly the same optically.

The only difference is the amount of barrel rotation. 300 degrees with the APO and 180 on the Microprimes.

That’s it. And I think they’re also doing them in PL now as well.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    The APO Microprimes and the APO lenses are exactly the same optically.

The only difference is the amount of barrel rotation. 300 degrees with the APO and 180 on the Microprimes.

That’s it. And I think they’re also doing them in PL now as well.

JB
    Ok well i guess they are killing off the hyperprime line then. 300 degree focus alone doesnt justfiy the prixe difference. No reason to get the hyperprime set if that's the case.

Ok well i guess they are killing off the hyperprime line then. 300 degree focus alone doesnt justfiy the prixe difference. No reason to get the hyperprime set if that's the case.
    I think from what I understand talking to Andrew is that the 300 degree rotation makes the manufacturing much more difficult. These days, with modern remote focus units able to "re-map" the distance anyway, 300 degrees is much less of a must have feature.

By making them "only" 180 degrees, which is still a lot more than most stills lenses, They can greatly reduce the manufacturing complexity and the size of the housings.

Andrew told me he can make a few microprimes in the same amount of time it takes them to make a single APO prime.

Same lens optically, same performance. Just less focus rotation. So unless you really really need that 300 degree rotation, the microprimes make a lot more sense and are less expensive for them to build as well. Which is cool considering they are the same optics.

I think of this as a natural evolutionary step, and the only downside isn't something that most people will be hurt by at all.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Thanks for the info John. Even though they seem to be using the same opticial design, for some reason (soley based on the Joshua Martin video) they do not flare like the hyperprimes. I have tested flaring extensively (primarily wide open) on my set and the APO microprimes dont have that character. But id def want to see more footage testing that.

Thanks John!

since you are luckier than most of us considering you are able to communicate with SLRMagic
    (I tried numerous times and I never got a reply), please can you ask Andrew a couple of things:

- to make the new APO Micros with metric markings too

- to make the PL Mounted version with a "thin throated" mount under 7mm so it can be easily adapted to EF

Please report back if you have news on these 2 suggestions! ;-)
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Thanks for the info John. Even though they seem to be using the same opticial design, for some reason (soley based on the Joshua Martin video) they do not flare like the hyperprimes. I have tested flaring extensively (primarily wide open) on my set and the APO microprimes dont have that character. But id def want to see more footage testing that.
    Maybe they were controlling light into the lenses with matte box/flags/ears?

I don't have a problem with less rotation, and being a bit lighter is nice as well. In fact lighter still would be great.

I have been running my 85mm on a sigmafp in the alps recently, matched with a Leica M Summicron 50mm (which is a beautiful lens). But the 85mm is still awesome - its resolving power is as good as if not better than the Leica.

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Maybe they were controlling light into the lenses with matte box/flags/ears?

I don't have a problem with less rotation, and being a bit lighter is nice as well. In fact lighter still would be great.

I have been running my 85mm on a sigmafp in the alps recently, matched with a Leica M Summicron 50mm (which is a beautiful lens). But the 85mm is still awesome - its resolving power is as good as if not better than the Leica.

cheers
    Paul
    Yeh Joshua could very well have been flagging the lens with something.... Who knows. Lighter is def good especially for gimbal work. I personally like the 300 degrees when im pulling my own focus with my bright tangerine revolvr atom (2:1) follow focus . But 300 degrees is only nice with higher end cinema 2:1 follow focuses which are costly. 150 degree focus on these are nice when using 1:1 follow focuses. But that alone aint worth the $1000 difference. So my guess is the hyperprimes days are done. Just wish they had made a wider lens like an 18mm.

Curious if the Sigma 14-24mm would be a good match with the APO's