Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uday Bhaskar Karra View Post
    Can someone recommend a good Push-in Lens cap for the 50mm (The lens front cap included is horrible, even the back cap feels so plasticky).
    These work well, they're push on rather than in

https://www.ducloslenses.com/collect...front-95mm-cap

They're quite deep and can obscure the focal length on the side but they fit nicely

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_D View Post
    Any thoughts on using the APO lenses in L mount full frame cameras like the new Panasonic S1?

There are third party adaptors from PL to L mount and EF to L mount.

I was planning on buying 2 Eva1's but am toying with the idea of one or both of them being S1's since it supports 4k 10 bit and Vlog, has higher iso and can obviously be used for stills.
    I see no reason why they wouldn't work (you can see a small amount of edge of lens in FF on a Sony A7sII on the 25mm in the corners, so compare the physical sensor size with that - this is stills full frame on that camera). The only thing i'd say would be shooting cine lens on a stills camera is a bit of an ergonomic nightmare. Just not very comfortable - having a full focus throw and manually focusing yourself can be difficult. I prefer small rangefinder lenses. But it's a personal thing of course. I think they'd work fine.

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post

They're quite deep and can obscure the focal length on the side but they fit nicely

cheers
    Paul
    Thanks for the recommendation Paul

Likewise, anyone here found a quality case/foam solution for housing 4 lenses?

I'd build it myself using https://mycasebuilder.com/ . Alternatively, I'm pretty sure Jasoncases would be happy to put something together with you.

I have those Leica caps from Duclos, but I've since switched to normal 82mm pinch on lens caps because I'm afraid of people accidentally picking up the lens by the cap, and it slipping out YMMV. They look very nice though, and they do fit pretty securely, but they can slip out if you don't make a point to 1. secure the lens in the cap fully, and 2. pick up the lens a bit more carefully/purposefully (just like almost any push on cap, except maybe the more expensive acetate ones from Duclos and TLS). Because they are deeper than normal caps, the tempatation to grab on to the lens by the cap is greater just in my experience. Still nice, but I'd rather the pinch ons personally. Anyway, if you're interested in buying a few, pm me I may just sell mine.

Best PL rear cap I've ever used is the True Lens Service one which has an O-Ring seal to help prevent the cap from loosening accidentally. I think Duclos sells the same one as well. I think the SLR Magic rear cap is pretty good though.... I think I recall reading that it used to actually be a nicer looking aluminum version, but early user feedback is that people preferred plastic so it didn't wear on the titanium ring, which makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post

cheers
    Paul
    Thanks Paul.

Yup it's a Push On cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsson San Pablo Chu View Post
    I'd build it myself using https://mycasebuilder.com/ . Alternatively, I'm pretty sure Jasoncases would be happy to put something together with you.

I have those Leica caps from Duclos, but I've since switched to normal 82mm pinch on lens caps because I'm afraid of people accidentally picking up the lens by the cap, and it slipping out YMMV. They look very nice though, and they do fit pretty securely, but they can slip out if you don't make a point to 1. secure the lens in the cap fully, and 2. pick up the lens a bit more carefully/purposefully (just like almost any push on cap, except maybe the more expensive acetate ones from Duclos and TLS). Because they are deeper than normal caps, the tempatation to grab on to the lens by the cap is greater just in my experience. Still nice, but I'd rather the pinch ons personally. Anyway, if you're interested in buying a few, pm me I may just sell mine.

Best PL rear cap I've ever used is the True Lens Service one which has an O-Ring seal to help prevent the cap from loosening accidentally. I think Duclos sells the same one as well. I think the SLR Magic rear cap is pretty good though.... I think I recall reading that it used to actually be a nicer looking aluminum version, but early user feedback is that people preferred plastic so it didn't wear on the titanium ring, which makes sense.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

Anyone heard any rumblings about an ~18mm or ~135mm in the works from Andrew?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R Lancaster View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation Paul

Likewise, anyone here found a quality case/foam solution for housing 4 lenses?
    I got the SLRMagic 4 lens case when I bought my set from Hotrodcameras. I do not think it's officially on the market but you can call/email them and get it.

I'm experiencing an issue that a few others have noted in this thread. I just got my 32mm brand new from Hot Rod about a week ago. Have not used it on any shoots yet and have barely taken it out of the box. Lens didn't look like it had been previously handled

I was focusing by hand, and noticed when magnified-in 1:1 that the frame seemed to shift. The shift happens when changing direction (pushing to pulling and vice versa) independent of where in the focus range it's in. I tested locked off on sticks with a wireless follow focus to eliminate variables. The PL mount is solid without issues. The lens housing does not wiggle or move at all when this issue occurs, it seems to be all internal in the optics. All the mechanics still feel great and focus ring stops solidly at each hard stop

https://vimeo.com/316167213/33db82c966

Ericsson San Pablo Chu and Jake Wilganowski noted similar issues. Were you able to contact at SLR Magic to arrange repair? Or should I request an exchange with Hot Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R Lancaster View Post
    I'm experiencing an issue that a few others have noted in this thread. I just got my 32mm brand new from Hot Rod about a week ago. Have not used it on any shoots yet and have barely taken it out of the box. Lens didn't look like it had been previously handled

I was focusing by hand, and noticed when magnified-in 1:1 that the frame seemed to shift. The shift happens when changing direction (pushing to pulling and vice versa) independent of where in the focus range it's in. I tested locked off on sticks with a wireless follow focus to eliminate variables. The PL mount is solid without issues. The lens housing does not wiggle or move at all when this issue occurs, it seems to be all internal in the optics. All the mechanics still feel great and focus ring stops solidly at each hard stop

https://vimeo.com/316167213/33db82c966

Ericsson San Pablo Chu and Jake Wilganowski noted similar issues. Were you able to contact at SLR Magic to arrange repair? Or should I request an exchange with Hot Rod?
    Yikes. I'd try and go through Hot Rod first and see if they can swap you out.