Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Looking for some advice and wondering if you guys could help!

Thinking about getting diffusion to use with my Scarlet-W and APO's. I like the idea of having the diffusion behind the lens with the KipperTie Carbon OLPF, but I'm torn between Carbon 1 and Carbon 2. Do any of you have experience with KipperTie's filters? If not, what other filters and strengths have you guys used with these lenses?

Thanks!

Hi Kyle,

i have the Carbon 1 and Carbon 2 but use them in my Gemini. But with the APO Lenses. Two Projects i shot with the Carbon 2 and i really like them. I think the carbon 2 is still a bit less then a promist 1/8.
    What to keep in mind is that the kipperties colorscience is matched to the skinetone highlight setting. So you have to treat your camera not wih 800 as the base iso but 320 as a base iso.
    I learned that when i shot the first project and light it on 800 iso. When i checked the footage it was a bit noisier than i wanted it to be.

But beside that, colors looking great. Hightlights looking nice. I can recommend them.
    If you want i can post some screens of the last two projects with the kipper tie carbon 2.

Best regards
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Gelhard View Post
    Hi Kyle,

i have the Carbon 1 and Carbon 2 but use them in my Gemini. But with the APO Lenses. Two Projects i shot with the Carbon 2 and i really like them. I think the carbon 2 is still a bit less then a promist 1/8.
    What to keep in mind is that the kipperties colorscience is matched to the skinetone highlight setting. So you have to treat your camera not wih 800 as the base iso but 320 as a base iso.
    I learned that when i shot the first project and light it on 800 iso. When i checked the footage it was a bit noisier than i wanted it to be.

But beside that, colors looking great. Hightlights looking nice. I can recommend them.
    If you want i can post some screens of the last two projects with the kipper tie carbon 2.

Best regards
    Marcus

Thank you very much for the insight Marcus! I would love to see some frames from your projects

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R Lancaster View Post
    I'm experiencing an issue that a few others have noted in this thread. I just got my 32mm brand new from Hot Rod about a week ago. Have not used it on any shoots yet and have barely taken it out of the box. Lens didn't look like it had been previously handled

I was focusing by hand, and noticed when magnified-in 1:1 that the frame seemed to shift. The shift happens when changing direction (pushing to pulling and vice versa) independent of where in the focus range it's in. I tested locked off on sticks with a wireless follow focus to eliminate variables. The PL mount is solid without issues. The lens housing does not wiggle or move at all when this issue occurs, it seems to be all internal in the optics. All the mechanics still feel great and focus ring stops solidly at each hard stop

https://vimeo.com/316167213/33db82c966

Ericsson San Pablo Chu and Jake Wilganowski noted similar issues. Were you able to contact at SLR Magic to arrange repair? Or should I request an exchange with Hot Rod?
    After a few weeks I received my replacement 32mm and promptly tested it out:

Am I taking crazy pills? Is this one exhibiting issues as well? I can deal with the breathing, however I feel like it shouldn't float around that like as it's focused. Not sure if Hot Rod tested this replacement before they sent it to me or if this one was previously opened. There was no shrink wrap on it like the previous APO's I've ordered

As before, I tested using a wireless follow focus on a RED Scarlet-W, locked down on a tripod. PL mount was solid. No lens housing twist or movement of any kind observed. One thing that did look questionable: the gears on the focus ring seem to float about the lens barrel axis a bit as it spins.

Thank you guys for your advice

Am I taking crazy pills? Is this one exhibiting issues as well? I can deal with the breathing, however I feel like it shouldn't float around that like as it's focused. Not sure if Hot Rod tested this replacement before they sent it to me or if this one was previously opened. There was no shrink wrap on it like the previous APO's I've ordered

As before, I tested using a wireless follow focus on a RED Scarlet-W, locked down on a tripod. PL mount was solid. No lens housing twist or movement of any kind observed. One thing that did look questionable: the gears on the focus ring seem to float about the lens barrel axis a bit as it spins.

i have my 4 lens together now and quite happy and didn't really experience it in my footage bacause i'm doing a lot of handheld work but i saw it sometimes when setting up the followfocus. I thought it was a problem with my rail system or the motor was touching the bottom or something.
    I tried ou all of my lenses and experienced the same except for the 85mm. The worst is the 25. 32 and 50 are floting the same, but a bit less then your 32.

I will write an email to slr magic and see what they will say.
    But i still love them. My last 1st AC said they look a lot like cookes.

Ive never seen my 32mm behave like that. I will do some tests and post it. What T stop is this?

https://youtu.be/Tbz7hAW0HJU

Rack focus tests with my 32mm on both my blackmagic cameras. Used my dji remote follow focus. Nothing like your lens Kyle. I would send it back. Side note... The CA is very controlled.

Would love to see these lenses side by side with sigma cine. Anyone has the opportunity to do a small test or knows about an existing one? Asking because I've shot couple of recent jobs with sigma and starting to feel that I'd want something "more" from the look of the lenses but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Lauri Hakala; 03-10-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Sigmas are great clinical lenses. Top notch. APOs have a lot more character. The interesting thing about the apo’s is they are like 2 lenses in one. Run them wide open and they go nuts on flares and low-con. Stop down to 2.8 and they clean up but still have nice flares, just not low-con veil. I really like them.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Seems odd to me and not usual behavior. I would make sure there was nothing from your setup that was causing this. PL mount on a PL mount camera ? What kind of rods and follow focus are you using ?

Have you gone back to your vendor or SLR Magic with the second lens results ?

Good luck...

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com