Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R Lancaster View Post
    Hot Rod isn't receiving the response I'd hoped for from SLR Magic. From what I understand SLRM thinks it is misuse/operator error, or damage caused by focus motors. I don't think they've inspected any of the flawed lenses to reach this conclusion

Is anyone experiencing this focus shift without ever having used motors on their lens?

I noticed the issue on my latest 32mm replacement before I even put motors on (although Hot Rod may have tested with a motor before shipping to me). Either way, if these lenses cannot stand up to use with a focus motor then they have no business calling them CINE, especially when said motor is a Nucleus-M on lowest torque setting. Hot Rod said they will see SLRM around NAB and will have a stern chat with them, but as of right now SLRM just offered to send me another replacement

I am deeply disappointed by SLR Magic's stance. I love their optics but unsure if I will keep these lenses due to this QC and/or design flaw. It's a shame because I was eyeing their anamorphics and their fuji x-mount sets as well.

What do you guys think?
    Yah this is basically what they are saying. And I agree with your mindset. I also told them my lenses have been very well taken care of and if it is a case that these lesnes have to be pampered then something is wrong . Misuse with a focus motor? Um...no. Remote follow focuses are usually dead simple to operate...especially mine which is the dji focus. Aint no misuse here. They want me to send the lens/lenses to them for them to inspect it. I'm in the middle of shooting a series with them and I can't do that...also that is a huge pain in the ass. Im gonna be speaking with them more on the matter but I agree that if they cannot handle remote FF then that's weird. They are beautiful lenses optically IMO and I really like them. They tick alot of boxes for me....but yeh this could be a potential prob. We'll see. Your latest lens is very noticeable Kyle and that is a huge problem.
    Last edited by darren scott; 03-26-2019 at 09:41 PM.

SLR magic marketing (in Australia) contacted me. They are determined to resolve any issues I may have. SO that is good to know. In the meantime I will continue to shoot on them as I really like these lenses for a variety of reasons.

that's great to hear. I also know that Hot Rod Cameras in Burbank is co-hosting a pre-NAB event with SLR Magic and Illya the founder was going to have a discussion with them about these lenses

Darren, did they elaborate on what 'resolve any issues' means? Replacement? Repair? Redesign?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R Lancaster View Post
    that's great to hear. I also know that Hot Rod Cameras in Burbank is co-hosting a pre-NAB event with SLR Magic and Illya the founder was going to have a discussion with them about these lenses

Darren, did they elaborate on what 'resolve any issues' means? Replacement? Repair? Redesign?
    It will be Replacement or Repair. They didn't specify which route they would take as yet. Clinton (the person I spoke with) is also meeting Andrew and Illya soon, as you know NAB is soon so alot is going on. He did say they will be dealing with this case by case and looking more deeply into the issue. It was good to actually speak with someone and someone who's first language is English so there are no miscommunications. He restored my faith in SLRmagic's dedication to their customers and product. So I'll wait and see and give them a bit of time as they sort things. It's not like I cant shoot on the lenses at the moment...I just needed reassurances that this would be taken care of.
    Last edited by darren scott; 04-01-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Hey guys,

I recall reading somewhere the 50mm hyperprime had a slightly different focus ring position by about 2mm to the other lenses. Was wondering if anyone with the set could confirm this, and how much of a difference it is, and what direction if so? (I've got an underwater housing lens port for the 50 and hoping to use the others without having to make a new port)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wall View Post
    Hey guys,

I recall reading somewhere the 50mm hyperprime had a slightly different focus ring position by about 2mm to the other lenses. Was wondering if anyone with the set could confirm this, and how much of a difference it is, and what direction if so? (I've got an underwater housing lens port for the 50 and hoping to use the others without having to make a new port)
    I've not had to adjust anything. I think it's slightly not. In the same place but not enough to have to change my follow focus.

Hi Guys,

new Musicvideo i shot with the SLR Magic APOs. Mostly 32mm and 50mm and some shots with the 25mm.
    It was just me and the Director, so no fancy big production.

Camera was a RED Gemini with a KipperTie Pearl1 olpf.
    Grading is not the best because there was no budget so i tried my best :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Gelhard View Post
    Hi Guys,

new Musicvideo i shot with the SLR Magic APOs. Mostly 32mm and 50mm and some shots with the 25mm.
    It was just me and the Director, so no fancy big production.

Camera was a RED Gemini with a KipperTie Pearl1 olpf.
    Grading is not the best because there was no budget so i tried my best :)

First of all I think you should stop with the disclaimers. 2ndly this looks damn good to me (hence drop the disclaimers).

I really like everything about this. I'm assuming that kipper tie olpf is some sort of diffusion? (I'm sorry I'm not familiar) Anyway the grading looks great the lenses look great the handheld is great, the lighting looks great. Thanks for sharing. Kudos to you and the director.

No 4k version?
    Last edited by darren scott; 04-12-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Nice job! Was the handheld with an easyrig?

Thanks @Darren

i made a 4 Version but the artist uploaded the more compressed 1080p version and on youtube you can't change the file afterwords. But i have the 4k version now here https://vimeo.com/330188177
    btw, haze was made with a pocket hazer, this one: https://www.looksolutions.com/news/8...,produkte.html
    It's not made for this but it works in mediumsize rooms.
    And yes the kippertie is an diffusion olpf. You change it with the standart olpf from red. But i've also added a bit of glow in the grade.

@Ericsson
    it's all without an easyrig. I have a two handle setup with the right handle being the titla handle to control the wireless followfocus with my right finger.
    If you want i can post some photos of my setup.

best regards
    Marcus