Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
    group buy?? ? ? ? lol
    ---------
    EPIC-W

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miro View Post
    group buy?? ? ? ? lol
    +1 if anyone has a contact!

ill share some stuff shortly shot with these
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I decided to make a short review/ making-off of a job i did last week with the APO's. I am making it also for SLR Magic to use. It might give a little more info about working with the lenses and what i like about them .. Im in no way a Hollywood DP, but im unique in my own right i guess, since i create TV commercials from 'script' to 'grade'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAYkc7tHIE

Hope you guys like it ..
    Last edited by Jeroen Alexander Damen; 05-14-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    Being as the "middle" of the image of the image circle of a lens is typically of better quality than the edges, does that mean that the image produced by a "FF" lens onto a s35 sensor is of better optical quality than the image produced by that same lens onto a FF sensor? In other words, the lens is overshooting the s35 sensor and as a result the s35 sensor is only getting the better part of the image ( the middler part ). Whereas on the FF sensor the crappier parts of the image circle are hitting the sensor and being used in the image. And if true, in that, s35 sensors only used the sweet-spot of a FF lens...while sensors larger than s35 more include the poorer performance of any FF lens? If so, does that mean that a LF lens is going to produce a better image on FF than does a FF lens since, again, the overshooting of the LF image circle means that the FF sensor is only taking in the sweeter part of the image produced by the lens and not taking in the softer edges of the image circle?

For the best image quality, always use a lens for which the image circle significantly overshoots the sensor of the camera you are using?

For the record, the SLR APO 50mm has a smaller front element than the Sigma Cine 50mmm, not larger. I doubt that any lens maker would have weight consistency dictate optical elements when consistency of weight throughout the set is easily achieved by way of the design of the housings. Or in other words, you wouldn't sacrifice optical quality just to attain consistency with the weight of the set. If the better optical design increases weight you could just add weight to the other lenses in the set rather than give up the better optical design for sake of cutting weight to match the lighter lenses in the set.
    Hi John. I can recall Andrew of SLR magic saying in a interview, that the APO's work on FF, but are designed really for S35. i agree with you, that it is the intended design that usually guarantees the best results. But i also know that the smaller the lens, the harder to get the same equivalent resolution. The bigger the lens, the more likely you will get 'mistakes' like falloff and vignetting. Im sure there is a sweet-spot technically for everything, right?
    Many things go into consideration in lens design. But mostly i think filmmakers, and artists alike, are willing to trow all technical specs overboard, when the look or feeling is whats desired. Therefore, i can see lens manufacturers, like slr magic who are mixing optical formulas with several pieces of glass, do the same. I know it took Andrew quite some time to find the right organic sharpness.

The sigma 50mm is one stop faster. So meaning the front element is like 2x bigger to start with i think. So maybe relatively the APO 50mm might be bigger .. not sure here. Weather weight gets achieved with glas or metal i dont know, but since optical glas is precious, i think you're right