Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    I'm very interested in these but of course wouldn't buy the whole line without testing a bit myself, this is the easiest way, can't really rent them anywhere
    Oh ok. Hope the 32mm is the next to come out or 18. Three lenses is one short of what I would consider a set... 4 is the least IMO.

Yes hoping for the 32 next
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Yes hoping for the 32 next
    Pretty sure that is the next one. I'm hoping for some kind of announcement any time soon.

Will be interesting to see what you think once you get the 50

cheers
    Paul

It's a winner, all around
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

It's a winner, all around
    Have you compared it to the Sigma 50 ART?
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon MG #0523 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Yes I've shot a lot with the art lenses. They are great, butt too sharp and contrasty for my tastes in owning a personal set. But they are great. Very clinical though. These have more character, which I like.

Quick thoughts: love the APO-ness, zero CA, the 50 has a flare that I like, and a veiling bloom for sources out of frame that grows intense as it approaches the edge, and a rainbow for things passing through frame, both which I like, the bokeh is creamy, they are warm like Cooke, and seem definitely less harsh just in general than sigma, build quality is super solid, and they are not light, I actually add a soft fingerprint on the rear element which gives a nice bloom to sources, I like that kind of thing though

This is all coming for a guy who loves superspeeds and contax zeiss, so i'm looking for certain bloom and lo-con
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

also, everything I've shot is wide open which adds a bit of locon, also what i like
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Yes I've shot a lot with the art lenses. They are great, butt too sharp and contrasty for my tastes in owning a personal set. But they are great. Very clinical though. These have more character, which I like.

Quick thoughts: love the APO-ness, zero CA, the 50 has a flare that I like, and a veiling bloom for sources out of frame that grows intense as it approaches the edge, and a rainbow for things passing through frame, both which I like, the bokeh is creamy, they are warm like Cooke, and seem definitely less harsh just in general than sigma, build quality is super solid, and they are not light, I actually add a soft fingerprint on the rear element which gives a nice bloom to sources, I like that kind of thing though

This is all coming for a guy who loves superspeeds and contax zeiss, so i'm looking for certain bloom and lo-con
    Have you considered Hollywood blackmagic filters? If not you can look into it....the have 1/4 and 1/8 strengths that have a nice bloom. The 1/8 i have on all the time. gives a nice subtle bloom.

For those of you who have tried the SLR magic APO and the offerings from GL optics....which would you go with? Which is better built?

For some reason I cannot see any of the pics anymore that Paul posted. Weird. I have tried 2 browsers.
    Last edited by darren scott; 02-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darren scott View Post
    For those of you who have tried the SLR magic APO and the offerings from GL optics....which would you go with? Which is better built?

For some reason I cannot see any of the pics anymore that Paul posted. Weird. I have tried 2 browsers.
    That was odd, my AWS account had been suspended, it's back now. So should all be there again. Thanks for noticing because i hadn't...

In answer to your question the GL Optics are just rehouses of existing stills lenses, i don't think the focus are changed on them either. So IMHO the Hyperprimes are hands down a better choice...

cheers
    Paul