Thread: Longer Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables?

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    But can they do 40Gbits/s on longer runs?

Or do they fall back to 20Gbits/s beyond 1.6 feet?
    No, because they are limited by the speed of PCIe 3 x4 ~ 4 x 985 MB/s x 8 bit ~ 31.52 Gbit/s, ad some handshaking to it and the effective speed is below 30 Gbit/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    No, because they are limited by the speed of PCIe 3 x4 ~ 4 x 985 MB/s x 8 bit ~ 31.52 Gbit/s, ad some handshaking to it and the effective speed is below 30 Gbit/s.
    While mostly true, that’s a pretty obtuse response. These optical TB3 cables are every bit as capable as the “40 GBPs” copper ones.

Not all data is created and/or transported equally across a Thunderbolt system. Primarily video signals, which are not bound by the PCIe bandwidth of the TB header. And TB3 can transport dual 20Gbps (19.7Gbps actual) DisplayPort or HDMI 2.x streams on a single cable. Even across these optical ones. The optical ones are probably going to be more capable than the 2.5m wire ones at short distance and will transmit the full bandwidth at long distances — 150+ meters, that is their purpose.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I asked Corning when they're coming out with a TB3 optical cable that's at least 10 meters and this was their response today:

"Corning is planning to deliver a Thunderbolt 3 optical cable by the end of this year."
    Dragon #529 | RED One MX 388

That was their official statement last year. Seriously.

At this rate, I actually hope they’re over-engineering them for bandwidth and they’ll be Thunderbolt 4 compliant since TB4 will probably arrive before these optical cables do.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

REDuser Sponsor
    Intel has very high standards for certification on all Thunderbolt products. From what I've heard from the cable manufacturers, they're not producing anything that can pass the certification for longer than 2M. The longer cables do exist right now, but they can't be sold on the market due to their lack of Intel certification. From what I've heard a 10M TB3 cable costs over $900.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

I think it’s funny that the entire concept of Thunderbolt was initially based on optical cable, Lightpeak back then. We’ve still yet to see a reliable optical solution.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I think it’s funny that the entire concept of Thunderbolt was initially based on optical cable, Lightpeak back then. We’ve still yet to see a reliable optical solution.
    +1

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    It's even funnier that the forced tech currently does a whole 2m of distance.
    Sounds like thought through.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Wiles View Post
    I asked Corning when they're coming out with a TB3 optical cable that's at least 10 meters and this was their response today:

"Corning is planning to deliver a Thunderbolt 3 optical cable by the end of this year."
    Corning is showing them at IBC. Various lengths up to 50 meters or so. They will be used in hardware demos.

Looking forward to these, but afraid to ask what they cost...

Cheers - #19