Thread: Medium budget lighting

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. #31 300d hem 
    My experience with the 300d, the best light you can buy for the money...period. Color is totally amazing, They now have a new version of the softbox that is a colapasible version, I would wait a month for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther Meisse View Post
    My experience with the 300d, the best light you can buy for the money...period. Color is totally amazing, They now have a new version of the softbox that is a colapasible version, I would wait a month for it.
    Light Dome II shipping in 2-3 months

I have and use the HIVE Wasp 100-C lights for corporate work all the time. Super flexible, super portable, and well priced. My only issue has been the key light output (side/hair is usually fine) when in sun-drenched rooms. Just ordered the new 200-C to rectify that.

Really awesome kit, can't recommend it enough.

Senior Member Raphael_Carpenter's Avatar
    Since 4months I'm using Thelight Velvet Power1 - powerful and fan-free duo-colour LED panel with simple folding soft-box but most surprising feature: waterproof !
    I could't believe it is possible to find something like this with price tag around $1500
    Not sure about light accuracy or CRI as the company providing not too much info on specification sheet :(
    Is someone here had any experience with this LED ?

FILMMAKER | PHOTOGRAPHER

WEAPON 6K / ALEXA MINI / COOKE
    Video Production | Professional Photography

As of 2020 where does this stand?

Aputure vs Hive.

Quality difference?

Or Arri L5-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    As of 2020 where does this stand?
    Aputure vs Hive.
    Quality difference?
    What kind of quality do you mean? Build quality, metrics for faith to visible spectrum, value to own or rent?

I'd generally say both lines produce high quality results for their intended purposes. When it comes to Aputure and Hive, I think it's more a difference of what their strengths are and which is a better fit for your situation. By and large, I wouldn't choose them for the same task.

I see Aputure's line as generally offering more white light per dollar. Aside from the new light Hive pitches as an HMI replacement (super hornet?), I'd choose Aputure for most tasks where I need a daylight key.

Hive's strength I see as being in color. Aputure of course has the Nova for RGBW light, but it's a broad source, whereas the Hive lights are as "point source" as LED gets-- are hard source that you shape with modifiers. Less power, but lots of flexibility and nuance.

Arri L5-7 I haven't used, don't see around much. Nice lights, but Arri hasn't really updated them (instead pursuing Skypanel and now Orbiter), so they feel like maybe they're a generation or so behind. Less power than Aputure, less flexible than Hive, but great in that they're an all-in-one fresnel replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    What kind of quality do you mean? Build quality, metrics for faith to visible spectrum, value to own or rent?

I'd generally say both lines produce high quality results for their intended purposes. When it comes to Aputure and Hive, I think it's more a difference of what their strengths are and which is a better fit for your situation. By and large, I wouldn't choose them for the same task.

I see Aputure's line as generally offering more white light per dollar. Aside from the new light Hive pitches as an HMI replacement (super hornet?), I'd choose Aputure for most tasks where I need a daylight key.

Hive's strength I see as being in color. Aputure of course has the Nova for RGBW light, but it's a broad source, whereas the Hive lights are as "point source" as LED gets-- are hard source that you shape with modifiers. Less power, but lots of flexibility and nuance.

Arri L5-7 I haven't used, don't see around much. Nice lights, but Arri hasn't really updated them (instead pursuing Skypanel and now Orbiter), so they feel like maybe they're a generation or so behind. Less power than Aputure, less flexible than Hive, but great in that they're an all-in-one fresnel replacement.
    Ive used the Arris, beautiful light. Creamy. But big and heavy.

Hive VS Aputure in terms of light quality, hive plasma is great but in terms of LED are they ahead of aputure light quality wise.

I worked with an aputure 300 dll yesterday nice light, bright, but the dp who owned it was hesitant to suggest fully... something about the quality of light.

Hive is made in the USA? Aputure is not?

If you compare similar models pricewise between aputure and hive, based on quality of light (what will end up in your footage forever) which is higher quality.